House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Self Employed Youth

House Prices And The Economy And Society

So we wish for the economy to adjust down with house prices, or up, whilst house prices go down.

Surely we want more trade, lots more trade! More efficient trade? Fairer trade?

Perhaps just a more efficient& much fairer trade in housing?

Cheap homes are locked in now, what changes in society should result from cheaper housing?

So we wish for the economy to adjust down with house prices, or up, whilst house prices go down.

Cheap homes are locked in now, what changes in society should result from cheaper housing?

aspirations?

A massive economic collapse , banking crisis and currency collapse I should think, followed by plenty of civil disorder and a string of ineffective governments that will come and go, unable to do anything constructive for our demolished country before being booted out for the next lot by ill-informed and angry voters.

The actual societal changes will be much more unemployment, much more crime and far more poverty, especially for the young and the old. You should be able to get a cheap house though, if you still have a job and still want to live here ;)

Edited by General Congreve

A massive economic collapse , banking crisis and currency collapse I should think, followed by plenty of civil disorder and a string of ineffective governments that will come and go, unable to do anything constructive for our demolished country before being booted out for the next lot by ill-informed and angry voters.

The actual societal changes will be much more unemployment, much more crime and far more poverty, especially for the young and the old. You should be able to get a cheap house though, if you still have a job and still want to live here ;)

- 1, couldn't disagree more.

The people with enormous debts will be as screwed as they are already. Everyone else will continue their lives with more manageable debts and some disposible income to pay for whatever they fancy. People spending on such things will keep businesses going and people in work.

Maybe a lesson will be learnt that houses don't always go up in value and in the future money will be invested constructively rather than in a pointless asset. But maybe now I am stretching my optimism too far...

Social/economic mobility.

Lower house prices favour hard-earned income over unearned wealth. High house prices do the reverse.

Unemployment and a bust in the housing market go hand in hand.

If you're unemployed, rent and have money in the Bank... you'll suffer.

Unemployment and a bust in the housing market go hand in hand.

If you're unemployed, rent and have money in the Bank... you'll suffer.

Nope. You're describing HPI there, when that money in the bank was rapidly losing its value. If house prices fall it gains in value.

Nope. You're describing HPI there, when that money in the bank was rapidly losing its value. If house prices fall it gains in value.

No Sir. If you lose your job and have over £16k (one years rent to some) you'll get no help from the Government.

you'll be living off your deposit until it goes below that figure.

No Sir. If you lose your job and have over £16k (one years rent to some) you'll get no help from the Government.

you'll be living off your deposit until it goes below that figure.

Of course I know that, being out of a job and having a lot more than £16k savings.

Last time I was in that situation, my savings were decimated[1] by HPI. This time their value is rising against the cost of a house - which is of course the whole purpose of saving.

[1] In something nearer to the common/colloquial sense than the linguistically correct sense, too :angry:

Of course I know that, being out of a job and having a lot more than £16k savings.

Last time I was in that situation, my savings were decimated[1] by HPI. This time their value is rising against the cost of a house - which is of course the whole purpose of saving.

[1] In something nearer to the common/colloquial sense than the linguistically correct sense, too :angry:

Ouch! me too, porca miseria.

I believe we are on the cusp of massive unemployment, I hope I'm wrong.

Ouch! me too, porca miseria.

I believe we are on the cusp of massive unemployment, I hope I'm wrong.

In a way I hope you're right, because I can't see us getting out of the mess without the pain. Trying to avoid the pain is like refusing to pull the plaster off to treat the festering wound beneath. Having massive unemployment might be the sign that we're on the right track at last, but there absolutely must be a way of picking up the pieces to stop it from turning unpleasant into disastrous.

I'm hoping for the right kind of unemployment - that which means that one parent can stay at home with their children, while the other can afford to keep their family on their income, including renting or purchasing a house.

Admittedly, it's going to involve people having less 'stuff', but I think that the last 13 years have demonstrated that stuff does not equate to happiness.