House Price Crash Forum
joe_

Price Of Flat Gone Up By 15K

Just been doing my usual searches around my area, and I've noticed one flat I saw that went off the market a couple of months ago (can't remember if it went to STC) is now back on for around 15K more!

All that's changed is it has new photographs and lot's of pictures/lamps put up and cushions on the sofas.

I'm quite shocked really, people joke about this but 15K on a 1 bed flat when most prices are stagnant or falling is a joke.

Yes, it is a joke and it will be on the vendor when he doesn't sell and then ends up in serious nequity a few months down the line.

Just to brighten your day, found out a friend has taken his maisonette off the market because he can't sell it. Don't feel bad for him, because selling it would have meant him getting a place together with his psycho Missus (she ends up drunk and crying at all the events she comes to and causes a scene not befitting a 28 year old - chiefly because she's trying to emotionally blackmail him into a quick marriage and kids), so at least his housing misfortune is holding him back from making a costlier life mistake for the meantime!

Also found out from another mate's missus who works for BHS, that BHS have not made a profit since 2002. Nearly a decade! How much longer can this house of cards that we call our economy continue standing?!?!

Thought I'd name and shame these 2 numpties:

1. 1 Bed terrace - On market for a year. Went from 110k to 100k now back on at offers over 110k on a new advert so you can't see the history via propertry bee.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=STATION^2246&sortByPriceDescending=false&minPrice=110000&maxPrice=110000&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&radius=0.25

2. 4 bed house - On market a year. Went from 495k to 525k.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=STATION^2246&sortByPriceDescending=false&minPrice=500000&maxPrice=550000&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&radius=0.5

These appear to be the residuals though just about all properties round my way are static or falling.

We should have a name and shame thread for deluded sellers.

Edited by Unsafe As Houses

My money is on they will drop the price back to original price in a short time ,it`s a trick the super market`s and the electrical retailers have been doing for years ,raise the price and then drop it to make it look like a bargain ,tesco pricing is what I call it

I think flat prices are in for a real hiding! :huh:

2. 4 bed house - On market a year. Went from 495k to 525k.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=STATION^2246&sortByPriceDescending=false&minPrice=500000&maxPrice=550000&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&radius=0.5

These appear to be the residuals though just about all properties round my way are static or falling.

We should have a name and shame thread for deluded sellers.

I ususally send an email to the agent via rightmove to report a problem with the listing and say something like:

"I see that this property was on at 495K and has since been put up to 525K. Thought I should email you about this typing error as it should clearly read 425K (or possibly 325K?). Cheers!"

Have not had any responses as yet.... :D

The thing is, though, this 'strategy' sometimes works.

A house near me was on the market for the whole of 2009 for £500k. It was way over-priced and it didn't even go under offer once.

After being withdrawn for about 3 months, it came back on the market at £550k, and sold within about a month. When I checked houseprices.co.uk, it had actually been sold for £560k!

I bet that if an offer had come in at £460k in late 2009, the vendor would have accepted it quickly. By waiting and putting the price up, they have got themselves an extra £100k.

I bet that if an offer had come in at £460k in late 2009, the vendor would have accepted it quickly. By waiting and putting the price up, they have got themselves an extra £100k.

It is those idiot buyers who dont bother shopping around for the best price that greedy vendors dream about when they keep their prices high. Makes me almost want to become a flipper, although I would want to sell first not buy.

It is those idiot buyers who dont bother shopping around for the best price that greedy vendors dream about when they keep their prices high. Makes me almost want to become a flipper, although I would want to sell first not buy.

Agreed. It seems amazing to me that buyers do not shop around a bit more when making the biggest purchase of their lives, but a lot obviously don't.

The house I referred to is in a sought after area, but is by no means unique and there are several equivalents houses on at below £500k now.