House Price Crash Forum

Bendicks Chocolate Factory In Winchester To Move To Germany

HOLA441

Wonder if they will make a mint on their browfield site?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/8362542/Bendicks-chocolate-factory-in-Winchester-to-move-to-Germany.html

Bendicks chocolate factory in Winchester to move to Germany

Bendicks, one of Britain's oldest chocolate manufacturers, is preparing to close its factory and move production to Germany.

Harry Wallop

By Harry Wallop, Consumer Affairs Editor 6:32PM GMT 04 Mar 2011

Harry Wallop's Twitter

74 Comments

The move would cause 140 jobs losses and would be the latest blow to what was once one of Britain's proudest manufacturing industries: chocolate making.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Wow the telegraph are on fire today. Superb clairvoyant abilities.

A spokesman for Storck said: "Storck UK has recently announced the start of a consultation period to determine the future of its production facility for mint chocolates in Winchester, Hampshire. No decisions have yet been made at this stage."

What is the source for the headline? It is written as if a decision has already been taken, Hopefully could cause for Stork to sue the telegraph for libel.

You would think this could adversely affect the sales of this product? I would rather eat UK produced chocolate if possible.

HOLA444

Wow the telegraph are on fire today. Superb clairvoyant abilities.

What is the source for the headline? It is written as if a decision has already been taken, Hopefully could cause for Stork to sue the telegraph for libel.

You would think this could adversely affect the sales of this product? I would rather eat UK produced chocolate if possible.

The unions are involved. Looks like done deal.

Still we have some reassuringly expensive housing left.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/8362542/Bendicks-chocolate-factory-in-Winchester-to-move-to-Germany.html

Bendicks, one of Britain's oldest chocolate manufacturers, is preparing to close its factory and move production to Germany.

Harry Wallop

Harry Wallop's Twitter

74 Comments

The move would cause 140 jobs losses and would be the latest blow to what was once one of Britain's proudest manufacturing industries: chocolate making.

Another Manufacturer moves to the sick man of Europe :ph34r:

Another sucess story for Gordonomics

Edited by Kurt Barlow

HOLA448
HOLA449

+1

Making stuff is beneath us. Us brits are destined for the service sector - such as Telephone Hygienists...

Its the way forward. I remember when Gordon was promoting Gordonomics back in 2003/04, lecturing the sick men of Europe (Germany, France, Benelux) on how to run a proper economy.

HOLA4410

Harry Wallop

Harry Wallop's Twitter

74 Comments

I do hope it crashes the market there. Winchester's surrounding area has one of the highest densities of w@nkers/sq.mile in Britain! :)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Its the way forward. I remember when Gordon was promoting Gordonomics back in 2003/04, lecturing the sick men of Europe (Germany, France, Benelux) on how to run a proper economy.

I must say I find it difficult to come up with the right words for all this. In every way possible all I see is the contempt our politicians hold for the menial occupation of manufacturing. I don't mean specific pronouncements on the subject because they'll always be nice sounding, but it's in the little things that they give themselves away. Most notable was the obsession with the knowledge economy meaning stuffing kids into "Universities" and backing that up was the promotion of IT everywhere I looked.

Now concerted promotion high standard apprenticeships in engineering and manufacturing, and the acadmeic training in school to give grounding in that, that would have meant like something. But no - we got meaningless league tables in whatever joke subjects made schools look good and degrees in PR and Media studies.

Financial Services has a great deal to answer for but for lasting devastation this is worse.

HOLA4413

I must say I find it difficult to come up with the right words for all this. In every way possible all I see is the contempt our politicians hold for the menial occupation of manufacturing. I don't mean specific pronouncements on the subject because they'll always be nice sounding, but it's in the little things that they give themselves away. Most notable was the obsession with the knowledge economy meaning stuffing kids into "Universities" and backing that up was the promotion of IT everywhere I looked.

Now concerted promotion high standard apprenticeships in engineering and manufacturing, and the acadmeic training in school to give grounding in that, that would have meant like something. But no - we got meaningless league tables in whatever joke subjects made schools look good and degrees in PR and Media studies.

Financial Services has a great deal to answer for but for lasting devastation this is worse.

pssst!, BB....(looks around furtively)....wanna buy some apps???

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Engineering and manufacturing in the UK has always been seen as a menial profession best suited to a certain class - dirty, ungentlemanly and associated with nasty plebs and unions.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Yes, but most of them don`t work at the chocolate factory though?

I know, but there are some regional repercussions, usually, indirect...? hopefully...? ... Please?! :( There are so many w@nkers in the countryside around it that you wouldn't believe!

Though it is very sad for the unemployed workers, of course.

This country will go through very hard times indeed, in the next years, decade? It is a tragedy, really.

Brown was such a fecking imbecile ignorant lunatic b@stard! :angry:

I still can't believe it. Really.

HOLA4419

Whilst Germany is by no means a low cost / low tax / low regulation economy its Govt supports manufacturing mainly through an education system that is geared to support its manufacturing sector. It also has low levels of corruption and high transparency in the way things are done.

In contrast the UK is fast heading towards banana republic status :angry:

HOLA4420

Whilst Germany is by no means a low cost / low tax / low regulation economy its Govt supports manufacturing mainly through an education system that is geared to support its manufacturing sector. It also has low levels of corruption and high transparency in the way things are done.

In contrast the UK is fast heading towards banana republic status :angry:

BURN HIM!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

So, HQ's are relocating to less taxing climes and factories are relocating to Germany or heading east

Trucks are relocating anywhere because nowhere has more expensive diesel / road tax

BTLers are going skint at the first sniff of an interest rate rise

Politicians are going to prison for expenses fraud and the rest will likely be binned by the EU soon enough anyway

What will we have left?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425