House Price Crash Forum

Youtube With Html5

Oliver Sutton

HOLA441
HOLA442

Non-flash Youtube

Spread the word.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for Flash.

Barry, what's this all about? What is the benefit to me/viewers. I have an interest because I use YouTube for videos, for me the quality experience one uploaded on YouTube is a bit hit and miss. Daily Motion and Vimeo seem to handle the rendered material better.

I think it's all part of the conversion process at YouTube. Will HTML5 improve this?

One thing I find annoying is that there doesn't seem to be one reliable rendering setting for videos that works consistently.

HOLA443

Non-flash Youtube

Spread the word.

This is great news. Essentially the video will now play in the browser without needing the rubbish flash plugins that update every other day. Aloso adoption by youtube is a good sign of the technology direction.

Html5 I believe this supports h.264 smoothstreaming - this is a big plus for content suppliers as well as it means you build a decent transcode farm for a web tv platform using cheap MS technology - probably 1 head node a few servers all licensed up for just a few £k. No more expensive software licenses.

HOLA444
HOLA445

This is great news. Essentially the video will now play in the browser without needing the rubbish flash plugins that update every other day. Aloso adoption by youtube is a good sign of the technology direction.

Html5 I believe this supports h.264 smoothstreaming - this is a big plus for content suppliers as well as it means you build a decent transcode farm for a web tv platform using cheap MS technology - probably 1 head node a few servers all licensed up for just a few £k. No more expensive software licenses.

Anyone who has ever downloaded a film in h.264 will see this as great news. It basically doubles the picture quality of any given file size, when compared to standard mpeg encoding.

HOLA446

Barry, what's this all about? What is the benefit to me/viewers. I have an interest because I use YouTube for videos, for me the quality experience one uploaded on YouTube is a bit hit and miss. Daily Motion and Vimeo seem to handle the rendered material better.

I think it's all part of the conversion process at YouTube. Will HTML5 improve this?

One thing I find annoying is that there doesn't seem to be one reliable rendering setting for videos that works consistently.

HTML5 is just the latest version of html. It has video and graphic capabilities in-built so there will be no need for 3rd party plug-ins like Flash.

HOLA447

Non-flash Youtube

Spread the word.

Quite important news particularly for non desktop devices where the limitations of flash have always been a pain.

Ironically, as well as being bad news for Adobe it is probably another nail in the burial box for MS as well.

Still I found Flash less of a pain than Adobes other bloatware such as Acrobat which many suckers still down load when all they need is a light weight PDF viewer.

HOLA448

Archived