House Price Crash Forum

'my Business Closed And I Couldn't Find Long-Term Work'

jfk

HOLA441

Irish times article

The Irish Times - Saturday, March 5, 2011

'My business closed and I couldn't find long-term work'

Five-year-old twins Ondrey and Patrick with their parents Helena and Stefan and the twins' four-week-old sister Anna. The family is facing the possibility of eviction from a homeless hostel in Dublin.Five-year-old twins Ondrey and Patrick with their parents Helena and Stefan and the twins' four-week-old sister Anna. The family is facing the possibility of eviction from a homeless hostel in Dublin.

JAMIE SMYTH

LAST MONTH Helena gave birth to her daughter Anna. Four weeks later, she faces the possibility of eviction from a homeless hostel in Dublin with Anna, her two sons Ondrey and Patrick, and her husband Stefan.

The family, who are originally from the Czech Republic, are just one of hundreds – and possibly thousands – of EU migrant families experiencing destitution as the recession tightens its grip.

Stefan and his family arrived in Ireland in 2006 to find work and create a new life. He worked for several months as a self- employed painter, but work dried up as the economy slowed. He picked up sporadic work here and there but ended up relying on benefits.

“My business closed and I couldn’t find any long-term work. They have now stopped our social welfare benefits and want to send us back to the Czech Republic,” says Stefan, who is a member of the Roma community.

I dont want to go back to the Czech Republic. There is no work in the country for me and there is discrimination against the Roma. My children will get a better education at school here in Ireland.

The Health Service Executive (HSE) has ruled Stefan and his family are not eligible for social benefits because he doesn’t satisfy the habitual residence conditions.

Stefan says the family has now been told to leave the hostel by Monday.

The HSE has referred the family to the Reception and Integration Agency for a return flight. But Stefan says he doesn’t want to go back.

“Roma face discrimination in the Czech Republic and we have nothing to go back for,” he says.

But with no access to social welfare payments and facing possible eviction from their Dublin hostel, the family have very few options to pursue their life in Ireland.

In a statement last night, the HSE said “the family concerned are and will be accommodated so therefore it is not correct to suggest that the family were requested to leave by Sunday.”

Tough titties.

Thought that by popping out a few sprogs you could sign on forever - the times they are a changin'

Off you trot.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Once when a Lion was asleep a little Mouse began running up and down upon him; this soon wakened the Lion, who placed his huge paw upon him, and opened his big jaws to swallow him.

"Pardon, O King," cried the little Mouse: "forgive me this time, I shall never forget it: who knows but what I may be able to do you a turn some of these days?" The Lion was so tickled at the idea of the Mouse being able to help him, that he lifted up his paw and let him go.

Some time after the Lion was caught in a trap, and the hunters who desired to carry him alive to the King, tied him to a tree while they went in search of a wagon to carry him on. Just then the little Mouse happened to pass by, and seeing the sad plight in which the Lion was, went up to him and soon gnawed away the ropes that bound the King of the Beasts.

"Was I not right?" said the little Mouse.

And the chances of the Czechs helping Ireland are?

HOLA446

Don't worry Eire will ship him out, very little in the way of benefits and freebies there.

Most likely he will get on Ryanair to Liverpool and sign on.

You're joking !! No wonder the place went bankrupt.

I was over on business last week. Guy we employed on a short term contract to help out during a trade show was telling us his tale........

Him and the Mrs first applied for a mortgage 3 years ago and were knocked back. Come the credit crunch - no problem sir. Bought a €235K euro appartment in central Dublin 16 months ago on the back of his wages as a stacker truck driver and, her wages typing in a solicitors office. He estimates the house is worth around €100K now.

Company he worked for went pop just after Christmas, 149 people made redundant. He receives unemployment benefit, called labour over there, of €250 per week !!

Her job earns €1700 per month gross - €1600 after tax.

Do the math

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Yes, his welfare payments need to be made by Czech taxpayers, not Irish taxpayers. There is no work in the land in which he hoped to find work and so he should return to his home country.

How long do you reckon you have to live in a country before you shouldn't return "home", providing you've been working in said country?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

He is keen to point out he is a gypsy. I thought they spent most of their time travelling around, so why is he so worried about moving on somewhere else?

Is he though, really? This sounds like another human rights hustle in the making - "you can't deport me back to Eastern Europe, I face persecution for my Roma heritage" - and who is to prove otherwise. :rolleyes:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I'm more concerned with the chances of one human being helping another.

yeah when they feck off back whence they came ! this country aint big enough for every poor bazterd in the world you know , at what point do you stop importing people, the welfare state can,t support any more ! :angry:

HOLA4414

How long do you reckon you have to live in a country before you shouldn't return "home", providing you've been working in said country?

For as long as you contribute and until the point where you start to take.

If his fellow countrymen despise him for his ways, why should the Irish taxpayer look any more highly upon him?

HOLA4415

Yes, his welfare payments need to be made by Czech taxpayers, not Irish taxpayers. There is no work in the land in which he hoped to find work and so he should return to his home country.

no thanks; we do not want them; you can keep them ... btw they will reproduce quite fast ...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Then help me by agreeing that the influx of eastern Europeans since 2004 has been enormously detrimental to the people who were born and raised here.

I agree, spongers should be made to suffer.

We should cut off your unemployment benefit, you parasite.

HOLA4422

Don't worry they're already bailing .

12 October 2010

"In a series of dawn raids on properties in Ilford, east London, officers found 103 children crammed into just 16 addresses. The raid, codenamed Operation Norman, is thought to be one of the largest ever conducted against Roma smuggling networks in Britain.

According to the Metropolitan Police many Roma children are trafficked to the UK and forced to beg and steal on the streets by their handlers who send the bulk of the money back to a town in Romania where traffickers have built themselves palatial houses on the proceeds.

The children are also used to bolster fraudulent benefit claims to bring in extra tax credits and child support.

The raids were conducted with help from the Romanian authorities who have been tracking smuggling networks operating out Tanderai, a town 80 miles to the east of Bucharest which has a large Roma population.

Despite the continued harsh economic difficulties faced in Romania, a large number of luxurious houses have sprung up in recent years, many of which have brand new cars with British number plates on their driveways."

People-smuggling network revealed 21 January 2008 _44360760_mewaswala_203.jpg Yusuf Mewaswala from Leicester was one of the leaders of the UK scam One of the UK's biggest immigration scams has been unearthed after a series of trials. Thousands of Indian nationals were brought to England illegally using fake South African passports.

Leicester was the centre of the smuggling network which brought illegal immigrants in via South Africa.

Once through customs, many of the illegal immigrants were kept in safe houses in London until they found work or further accommodation predominantly in Leicester, Bolton, Blackburn and Preston.

HOLA4423

Irish times article

Tough titties.

Thought that by popping out a few sprogs you could sign on forever - the times they are a changin'

Off you trot.

Your username is ironic, yes? Immigrant sets up business and it all fails, serves him right. Ich bein ein douchbag.

He is keen to point out he is a gypsy. I thought they spent most of their time travelling around, so why is he so worried about moving on somewhere else?

Your question is rhetorical, yes? Or does your brain prevent you thinking of the three or four really quite obvious reasons why he is so worried about moving somewhere else at this time? Go on. Have a go at thinking of two reasons. Think... he has children now of school age. Anything coming to you..?

Then help me by agreeing that the influx of eastern Europeans since 2004 has been enormously detrimental to the people who were born and raised here.

Plenty of people would disagree with you there. Lots of people I know have benefited from tradesmen costs become more reasonable. Not so good for plumbers looking to charge 100 quid for a call out, though.

Swings and roundabouts, no?

Is he though, really? This sounds like another human rights hustle in the making - "you can't deport me back to Eastern Europe, I face persecution for my Roma heritage" - and who is to prove otherwise. :rolleyes:

This point is also rhetorical, no? They can't be deported within the EU. Good to hear that you have a good working knowledge of living as a Roma in the Czech republic.

Arrived in 2006 has five-year old kid so assume they are 30. So for 25 years he lived (presumably) in Czech. If he was persecuted why didn't he leave when he was 18? Economic migrant who will probably end up here and claim his human rights benefits and have some more kids to qualify for the mansion in Maida Vale.

More rhetorical questions. Can your brain also not furnish you with the answers to your question.

no thanks; we do not want them; you can keep them ... btw they will reproduce quite fast ...

I assume this poster is from the Czech republic, given the context of the response.

Damik, perhaps as a resident of the Czech republic with an enlightened view of Roma you could pm Britney's Piers and inform him of the warm welcome he can expect back in the Czech republic.

HOLA4424

12 October 2010

"In a series of dawn raids on properties in Ilford, east London, officers found 103 children crammed into just 16 addresses. The raid, codenamed Operation Norman, is thought to be one of the largest ever conducted against Roma smuggling networks in Britain.

According to the Metropolitan Police many Roma children are trafficked to the UK and forced to beg and steal on the streets by their handlers who send the bulk of the money back to a town in Romania where traffickers have built themselves palatial houses on the proceeds.

The children are also used to bolster fraudulent benefit claims to bring in extra tax credits and child support.

The raids were conducted with help from the Romanian authorities who have been tracking smuggling networks operating out Tanderai, a town 80 miles to the east of Bucharest which has a large Roma population.

Despite the continued harsh economic difficulties faced in Romania, a large number of luxurious houses have sprung up in recent years, many of which have brand new cars with British number plates on their driveways."

People-smuggling network revealed 21 January 2008 _44360760_mewaswala_203.jpg Yusuf Mewaswala from Leicester was one of the leaders of the UK scam One of the UK's biggest immigration scams has been unearthed after a series of trials. Thousands of Indian nationals were brought to England illegally using fake South African passports.

Leicester was the centre of the smuggling network which brought illegal immigrants in via South Africa.

Once through customs, many of the illegal immigrants were kept in safe houses in London until they found work or further accommodation predominantly in Leicester, Bolton, Blackburn and Preston.

Terrible story: this guy is a criminal and it is good he has been caught. Hope the children are being looked after.

How is this relevant to the guy in Ireland, btw?

Edit - format.

Edited by aussieboy

HOLA4425

Terrible story: this guy is a criminal and it is good he has been caught. Hope the children are being looked after.

How is this relevant to the guy in Ireland, btw?

Edit - format.

They have now stopped our social welfare benefits says Stefan, who is a member of the Roma community.