House Price Crash Forum
Giordano Bruno

Land Investment 'scams' Warning

I did check if this was already posted. I couldn't find it. So

William McNaught, from Yorkshire, was contacted by The Property Partnership three years ago and persuaded to pay £101,000 in order to buy eight strips of land in different locations around the UK.
"It has very little or no planning potential. The plot is worth in the order of £75."

link

Visions of 'Glengarry Glen Ross'.

Edited by Giordano Bruno

Just seen it on BBC News. He fell for a pitch from one of those overexcited "go for it" high pressure salesmen who seem to have an answer to everything you say to them.

A tip to get rid of them is to say firmly "I'm not interested" and when they say "why aren't you interested" you reply "because I don't want to make money, I like being poor", that get's rid of most of them and they put "idiot" against your name and don't bother calling back.

Just seen it on BBC News. He fell for a pitch from one of those overexcited "go for it" high pressure salesmen who seem to have an answer to everything you say to them.

A tip to get rid of them is to say firmly "I'm not interested" and when they say "why aren't you interested" you reply "because I don't want to make money, I like being poor", that get's rid of most of them and they put "idiot" against your name and don't bother calling back.

I could say that and it wouldn't be too far from true. I'm a bit like Mr Macawber. Another thing one could say is 'If it's such a good investment, then why not keep it for yourself instead of offering it to me?'

A mark and his money are easily parted......

All the hallmarks of a legal con. Bet they are very careful in how they frame the wording around the investment return on the purchase....Just enough to 'wet the appetite' but stay inside the law.

I could say that and it wouldn't be too far from true. I'm a bit like Mr Macawber. Another thing one could say is 'If it's such a good investment, then why not keep it for yourself instead of offering it to me?'

High pressure sales people are trained to draw you into their trap by a series of questions. They rely on people giving certain responses which will dictate the next question, give an unexpected response that is not on their script and it stops them dead in their tracks. They are confused, it does not compute :D.

High pressure sales people are trained to draw you into their trap by a series of questions. They rely on people giving certain responses which will dictate the next question, give an unexpected response that is not on their script and it stops them dead in their tracks. They are confused, it does not compute :D.

nonsense, all the big builders have done this...they call it landbanking....my land strip agent told me this just yesterday.

Some elderly councillor was saying they'd never give planning permission for the land, for x y a and z reasons, but maybe some of these councillors will die off, and the ConDems say they are going to shake up planning laws. There still has to be some room for these land investment companies is all I'm saying. Someone could see an investment pay off if they do enough research and get plot where conditions are relaxed, even in what is now a conservation area. Just protection for older vulnerable people. He did buy eight plots for his £100,000. Not just one. Was his head turned by thoughts of how much money he was going to make?

Before I could buy anything I wanted. Now I can't even put on the central heating.

If they really want to invest in land that might end up winning the planning permission lottery, they should check out the price of farm land just outside villages - it will be a 1-10 thousand per acre depending upon location. That alone would have been enough to tell that spending 100000 for 8 strips is a con. Sadly there are enough idiots out there who pay first and then start whining to the authorities when it is too late.

Edited by blackgoose

I had one of these muppets call me last week, reading a script ," Hi I am calling from mayfair london blah blah blah ", if anyone falls for this nonsense then they deserve to be parted from their money.

If you however live the idea of "landbanking" plots of land then the smartest thing to do is buy shares in Persimmon, the company have no net debt so there is little danger of them being in any sort of trouble and they actually produce a lot of cash, even in this environment. They have 60,000 plots with planning permission so if you buy 22,000 pounds worth of shares you will own one plot, plus part of an efficient building business that makes money for free, the landbank is about 5 years worth of production at current depressed levels, and you are buying at a discount to what the land is valued at rather than some glengarry cold caller crazy price for land that doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of ending up with a house on it ...

is this about those plots all over right move that are of various sizes but then in the description says "forms part of a larger tract of land" meaning that it is a farmer that has divided a field into 400 parcels and is flogging tiny patches to morons?

is this about those plots all over right move that are of various sizes but then in the description says "forms part of a larger tract of land" meaning that it is a farmer that has divided a field into 400 parcels and is flogging tiny patches to morons?

It sounds like it. I'd heard about these scams a few years ago, they're obviously making a comeback!

I was cold called by Claim Lines Service (CLS) last week:

-We understand you have had a road traffic accident in the past three years.

-No.

-But that's what our records show.

-Well, that information is false. How did you get it?

-That's what our records show.

-Who are you?

-Stephanie.

-And who do you work for?

-I'm in a call centre.

-Do you have an ID number?

-No.

-That's very odd. Bye.

I got her to confirm the name of the company, but no success googling them.

Guest sillybear2

nonsense, all the big builders have done this...they call it landbanking....my land strip agent told me this just yesterday.

Of course, but they buy options on the right land and they know the right politicians, and 'donate' to the right parties.

Very different from these sociopathic boiler room operations.

"You can't con an honest man" springs to mind.

I agree with the comments in terms of how to deal with these calls. Had one recently - "would you like to save some money on your energy bill?" "No I wouldn't". "You really wouldn't like to save money?" "No, I'm a complete and utter ******wit". That shut him up.

Edited by mikthe20

I did check if this was already posted. I couldn't find it. So

link

Visions of 'Glengarry Glen Ross'.

The so-called "cold calling" is anything but!

Because the banks are allowed to share information with each other about customers(you know, anti terrorism/money laundering purposes ONLY!!)

- any spiv hive off/Financial setup can buy/get hold of your data showing them how much savings you have in your accounts

Along with name, address, tel number

Hence all these people (With substantial Savings) saying they were called up "out of the blue" by con merchants - but they had (in reality) been deliberately 'targetted'

Edited by erranta

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12655496

Listen to the phone call, criminal / amoral City style sales people in action.

that phone call is terrible.

I am going to put some of my days off to good use playing with those tossers

here they are for anyone with some spare time :Dhttp://www.thepp.com/

seems they are a real bunch of hard sell sheisters, been about a few years and widely recognised as an outright scam, no idea how they are still going but I am going to enjoy this :lol:

http://bppa.ws/forum/index.php?topic=4330.0

http://boards.fool.co.uk/property-partnership-11456846.aspx?sort=whole

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Uk/uk.telecom/2007-08/msg00100.html

http://boards.fool.co.uk/hi-bootneck1-despite-the-name-it-seems-the-10806118.aspx

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/scams-and-rip-offs/scams/3228/how-to-spot-a-scam

Somebody trying to skim other people's production using land privilege gets his fingers badly burned because a seller sold him land that wont skim in the way advertised.

I have fashioned a violin out of two hydrogen atoms for this tragedy

Somebody trying to skim other people's production using land privilege gets his fingers badly burned because a seller sold him land that wont skim in the way advertised.

I have fashioned a violin out of two hydrogen atoms for this tragedy

Is that coz the 'oxygen' has been replaced by excess CO2 they tax us for?

When they call me and say "Can I speak to Mr Harry Monk?" I say "Yep, I'll go and fetch him" and then I just put the cradle down somewhere and carry on with whatever I'm doing.

No , because hydrogen is the smallest atom i could find ;)

Ox-ygen Ox-ford!

Ca-rbon DiOxide Ca-mbridge + Ox-ford!

CO2 C+O = 2 (horned beasts)

Silty rivers & 'Horny' Devils!

Edited by erranta