House Price Crash Forum
Lepista

Injin Is Bertarand Russel

After very careful research studying his character and personality I have come to the conclusion he ( and I believe he is of the male gender ) that he is Mervyn King. :D

Injin is a figment of your imagination since nothing really exists.

As a prophet once said life is a fantasy without that fantasy there is no point for the never ending Universe. :D

:lol:

Daft buggers.

Injin is an irregularly (self) employed northern monkey and hypnotist. I'd kill for Russell's voice, tbh.

Well at least say you don't pay any tax on your income from being (self) employed.

Guest The Relaxation Suite

Anyone interested in more should start with Russell's Conquest of Happiness. It's dated here and there by the passage of social norms, especially when referring to women and servantsm etc., but the massive bulk remains as excellent advice as to what a man should expect out of this world and how he goes about it. His History of Western Philosphy is the biggest selling philosophy text of the 20th Century and really very good indeed, for a longer more serious text.

Anyone interested in more should start with Russell's Conquest of Happiness. It's dated here and there by the passage of social norms, especially when referring to women and servantsm etc., but the massive bulk remains as excellent advice as to what a man should expect out of this world and how he goes about it. His History of Western Philosphy is the biggest selling philosophy text of the 20th Century and really very good indeed, for a longer more serious text.

Hi Tecumseh, or Mr Sherman, do you know if these are still in copyright? I would love to get them free as ebooks.

Hi Tecumseh, or Mr Sherman, do you know if these are still in copyright? I would love to get them free as ebooks.

Hi MP

I just looked in my copies of these (Conquest 2007 reprint, and History 2010 reprint) and both are in copyright 1996 Bertrand Russell Peace Foundation. You can get both of them for 20 quid on Amazon and between the two this is 1000 pages of great writing, so a good deal IMO.

Injin disagrees with Wittgenstein; he's like Russell in that.

I'll be honest when I say that the Tractatus is at the limit of my understanding.

I'll be honest when I say that the Tractatus is at the limit of my understanding.

It's beyond mine. What I understand I don't agree with. His later work is more up my street, and more readable.

His lectures on the foundations of mathematics (arguments with Turing written as dialogue by students) are the best philosophy I've ever read. Beautiful stuff; absolute poetry.

"Everyone knows the story of the traveler in Naples who saw twelve beggars lying in the sun (it was before the days of Mussolini), and offered a lira to the laziest of them. Eleven of them jumped up to claim it, so he gave it to the twelfth. this traveler was on the right lines. But in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it. I hope that, after reading the following pages, the leaders of the YMCA will start a campaign to induce good young men to do nothing. If so, I shall not have lived in vain. "

Dear old Bertrand Russell not only a so called Philosopher but also a maverick who the public laughed at in the 1960s

In 1960 the Committee of 100 was set up to organise NVDA actions. In February 1961 4,000 protesters sat down outside the Ministry of Defence in Whitehall. In September, 1,300 were arrested in Trafalgar Square and 350 at Holy Loch in Scotland where the US Poseidon nuclear missile submarines were based. The authorities began to arrest and imprison the organisers (including the 89-year-old philosopher Bertrand Russell). :rolleyes:

It's beyond mine. What I understand I don't agree with. His later work is more up my street, and more readable.

His lectures on the foundations of mathematics (arguments with Turing written as dialogue by students) are the best philosophy I've ever read. Beautiful stuff; absolute poetry.

I've not read his later stuff, so I'll have a look at this I think. For anyone interested in the famous Tractatus:

http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~luke_manning/tractatus/tractatus-jsnav.html

I believe it was Doctors in the 1960s who studied Russell and then invented the medical diagnosis for Dementia. :rolleyes:

Ofc, like all creators, Russell's philosophy is seperate from him.

If you don't like what he said, the route to combatting it is not by complaining about the shape of his mouth, but by challenging the ideas and showing them to be false.

Ofc, like all creators, Russell's philosophy is seperate from him.

If you don't like what he said, the route to combatting it is not by complaining about the shape of his mouth, but by challenging the ideas and showing them to be false.

You are quite right. Ad Hominem attacks go nowhere. I just disagreed with CND etc. Could not accept his philosophy of having to accept other peoples right to hold opinions no matter how disagreeable you find them. Gaddafi!