House Price Crash Forum
Tired of Waiting

Vince Cable Has Lambasted Britain's "dysfunctional" And "distorted" Land Market And Planning Rules

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/8360411/Budget-2011-Vince-Cable-hints-at-overhaul-of-planning-system.html

" Budget 2011: Vince Cable hints at overhaul of planning system

Business Secretary Vince Cable has lambasted Britain's "dysfunctional" and "distorted" planning rules in the strongest suggestion yet that a radical shake-up will form a key plank of the growth proposals included in the Budget.

By Louise Armitstead 6:00AM GMT 04 Mar 2011

Mr Cable used a speech at a trade and industry dinner at the Mansion House last night to pledge a reversal of Britain's planning application process so that the "standard answer is Yes, not No."

He said that "thousands" of bad decision on small applications "add up to a huge missed opportunity for the economy. And sometimes obstruction prevents the transformative economic opportunity from taking place: the retailer that regenerates the town centre, or the international headquarters that instead decides to head elsewhere."

He added: "The market in land is dysfunctional, distorted both by a slow and prescriptive planning regime, speculative hoarding, and a less than effective tax system." (...) "

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Looks like Vince has righted himself after being all awash finding himself in power. Sounds more like the old Vince who used to agree with the likes of Roubini.

+ 1

We need him.

The full transcript of his speech may be interesting.

From The Independent :

The Government would also plough ahead with its planning reforms, Mr Cable said, and he denied a rift with the Communities Secretary.

"Sometimes obstruction prevents the transformative economic opportunity from taking place: the retailer that regenerates the town centre, or the international headquarters that instead decides to head elsewhere," Mr Cable said.

"That is why the Government is bent on planning reform. Contrary to what you may read, Eric Pickles and I are at one on this. We want local communities to benefit from growth, and the standard answer to be yes, not no."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/cable-comes-out-fighting-over-criticism-of-growth-strategy-2231733.html

I feel sure that the day cannot be too far away when a mainstream politician mentions the word "immigration".

The population in the UK has grown from about 52 million in 1960 to about 62 million today.

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=sp_pop_totl&idim=country:GBR&dl=en&hl=en&q=uk+population+graph

I see that as a 0.35% compound annual growth rate in our population.

Our population growth rate does not adequately explain what has happened to house prices unless the data that I have used is flawed.

If anything, the Harry / Stanislav substitution means that our house prices are even more irrational than our overall population growth suggests as we have a relatively static level of demand for houses and wages that are falling rather than rising.

:huh:

?? What?? How? Why?

:unsure:

Too many people in a small country. The answer to most of our problems is to reduce population, short medium and long term.

Mentioned because this thread is about mentioning the unmentionable. ;)

Too many people in a small country. The answer to most of our problems is to reduce population, short medium and long term.

Ah Harry, the debate we'll never have.

It's been posted here that Tesco base there planning on a population figure much higher than the official estimates.

And how do we do that exactly? Who gets sent to the extermination camps and or the front lines of WWII.5 to rush the enemy machine guns?

OK well if you believe that then good luck and may the Lord's blessing go with you.

Do you have better hard data? I am completely open to being corrected and I know that Google / Wikipedia data is often suspect.

It's been posted here that Tesco base there planning on a population figure much higher than the official estimates.

From memory (probably based on your posts), the "real" UK population is closer to 80 million than 60 million. Do you have a link that you could (re)post?

And how do we do that exactly? Who gets sent to the extermination camps and or the front lines of WWII.5 to rush the enemy machine guns?

Genetic engineering seems to offer a solution. Probably a few years off, but I bet DARPA among others are working on something to kill off massive amounts of people but sparing those with a certain genetic marker.

80million

Genetic engineering seems to offer a solution. Probably a few years off, but I bet DARPA among others are working on something to kill off massive amounts of people but sparing those with a certain genetic marker.

That'll be what the bird deaths are. Test runs

From memory (probably based on your posts), the "real" UK population is closer to 80 million than 60 million. Do you have a link that you could (re)post?

Not me guv, but the 80m was the figure the poster mentioned, didn't want to repeat it because it sounded ridiculously high.

Edited by tinker

Not me guv, but the 80m was the figure the poster mentioned, didn't want to repeat it because it sounded ridiculously high.

Apologies. I thought that you were the source.

Apologies. I thought that you were the source.

No sweat.

:lol: I've been the 'UnlucklyOne' today, central heating failure and a loft water tank leak (not related)!!!

Giving tax incentives to women who bear fewer children rather than more would be a good start... not too Nazi an idea for you I hope?

Here's a quote but you will have to do your own further research.

Greg Hands MP 2008;

"Many observers think the UK’s population is much bigger. A leading figure at Tesco recently told one of my parliamentary colleagues that they estimate the population of the UK to be closer to 80 million, based on the volume of certain staples they sell. Tesco are probably a world leader in understanding their consumer market, so it would be foolish to disregard their opinion."

80m, what planet are u on??

I'm sure even the government would notice and extra 18m people living in the country

Jez, madness. Guess we'll find out after the cencous in a few months!

I'm sure even the government would notice and extra 18m people living in the country

Yes all those illegals will fill in the census forms as a matter of duty, watch the SKY 3 series UK Border Force absolutely a complete f****** joke as the illegals take the p***. You can`t make it up. :rolleyes:

80m, what planet are u on??

25% more population, or 25% fatter?? (or feckless chavs buy more food under generous benefits system)