House Price Crash Forum
bomberbrown

1 In 10 - Thirty Years On - I Think It Really Is Different This Time

1981 - This was my era of growing up and it was also my first year as a teenager.

Jobs were few, and it was a cut throat environment in order to land one from what I can remember. If you didn't have a job, you were '1 in 10' and the song by UB40 always resonated with me for that era as I had friends at school who had parents in work and parents who weren't. Despite which side of the employment fence you and your parents landed on, there was always the collective spirit that EVERYONE WANTED TO WORK - HAVE A JOB!!

We are now in '1 in 5' territory and there is no Brummy reggae band writing political songs for jobs and you really have to ask yourself why? In the majority of cases work no longer pays, compared to claiming benefits. that's why!

I think it really is different this time and I don't think the prognosis is good either.

I agree.

Some musicians get it - Lilly Allen, and I think this new bird with her song about ka-ching and bling, money doesn't buy you happiness. But real artists seem to be struck dumb, or may be too busy producing work for the fcukers who caused the disaster.

ps. I just heard Rat in the Kitchen for the first time in years on the radio - daft lyrics, but great sound.

There has to be a link so here it is....

This is my third recession, the early 1980s recession was my first, I was 21 when this came out and it was an anthem for the unemployed, including me.

I'm surprised that there isn't more recession-based music around,perhaps popular music no longer comments on current events. I remember a whole swathe of songs about Vietnam but I am struggling to think of one about Iraq or Afghanistan.

Even Sir Paul McCartney voiced his support for the Iraq war, giving rise to newspaper stories headlined "Give War a Chance".

I'm surprised that there isn't more recession-based music around,perhaps popular music no longer comments on current events. I remember a whole swathe of songs about Vietnam but I am struggling to think of one about Iraq or Afghanistan.

Even Sir Paul McCartney voiced his support for the Iraq war, giving rise to newspaper stories headlined "Give War a Chance".

Everybody is still in denial tbh.

1981 - This was my era of growing up and it was also my first year as a teenager.

Jobs were few, and it was a cut throat environment in order to land one from what I can remember. If you didn't have a job, you were '1 in 10' and the song by UB40 always resonated with me for that era as I had friends at school who had parents in work and parents who weren't. Despite which side of the employment fence you and your parents landed on, there was always the collective spirit that EVERYONE WANTED TO WORK - HAVE A JOB!!

We are now in '1 in 5' territory and there is no Brummy reggae band writing political songs for jobs and you really have to ask yourself why? In the majority of cases work no longer pays, compared to claiming benefits. that's why!

I think it really is different this time and I don't think the prognosis is good either.

Coz if you go on Utube and read the comments (in between all the teenagers saying they have turned their backs on mainstream c-rap music and want to listen to 80/90's) it's all been said before?

(Rap=Par for you piss-taking AAA Scottish Flog-gers :P)

Edited by erranta

I'm surprised that there isn't more recession-based music around,perhaps popular music no longer comments on current events.

It's starting in Portugal, a band there called Deolinda released a song recently about young people with no house of their own and working in a series of poorly paid and unstable jobs.

It's somehow led to a protest being planned for the 12th of March in Lisbon for "Geração À Rasca" which I think translates to "the Lowball Generation" or maybe "the Stupid Generation". My understanding of Portuguese is not perfect but I believe it's an insulting term an older person might use for the Portuguese youth, which they are now adopting themselves (along the lines of "n1gger"?) I suppose the British equivalent would be something like "the iPod Generation".

Portuguese phone ins are full of older people saying it's all the young generation's own fault, when they were young they were willing to take cleaning jobs and factory jobs so why shouldn't they? Trouble is, the cleaning jobs are taken by Ukrainians and the shoe factories shut down and went to Asia.

Edited by Dorkins

and it was an anthem for the unemployed, including me.

this one was just as good in my humble opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBeoS69u67c

people will argue about the meaning of the lyrics but i take it as the british army and the army of unemployed (interchangeable) and the "rather be anywhere else than here today" line being either a poor working class squadie wondering what he got himself in for whilst being shot at/blown up in N ireland /falklands etc or someone in the dole queue.,..

UB40 did all right out of it. All multi-millionaires and own their own Carribean island.

They always done a lot for Birmingham and had their recording studio in Digbeth, Birmingham an inner city slum where it all began right to the present day.

The DEP studio, knocked down about 2008.

3214461627_cd8e12bfa2.jpg

The Eagle and Tun, where the Red Red Wine video was filmed and the song 1 in 10 was written.

7D58BF6F-EC60-8F37-48C63166727DE157.jpg

They never forgot their roots. Respect to them.

post-6170-0-77322500-1299273158_thumb.jpg

post-6170-0-21860400-1299273262_thumb.jpg

(Rap=Par for you piss-taking AAA Scottish Flog-gers :P)

It's my ambition to one day understand one of erranta's posts.

When I do, I will know that I am truly one of the intellectual elite.

Its is different , work does not pay and many with children are either not working and claiming benefits or working and also getting benefits to survive as wages compared to costs are so low. Work pays for those with no children . Those without work or children are now lost in an almost shaddow existance running along side those in work but almost unseen.

this one was just as good in my humble opinion

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RBeoS69u67c

people will argue about the meaning of the lyrics but i take it as the british army and the army of unemployed (interchangeable) and the "rather be anywhere else than here today" line being either a poor working class squadie wondering what he got himself in for whilst being shot at/blown up in N ireland /falklands etc or someone in the dole queue.,..

ONE OF THE BEST EVER SONGS IMHO. PURE GENIUS AND PURE PERFECTION.

When I do, I will know that I am truly one of the intellectual elite.

+1

Seems bonkers but in a nice way, :lol:

As regards the OP, I too am astonished that there is not a reaction from the youth about what is going on and is being done to them. Lily Allen's The Fear was a good one. I do wonder whether they understand what is going on, or are either in a state of stupor or completely dumbed down.

Music should rebel and should throw up leaders, foreseers and those who challenge the status quo. Maybe it exits on YouTube, but is a very bland era musically. Kids should be seething with anger, full of attitude.

+1

Seems bonkers but in a nice way, :lol:

As regards the OP, I too am astonished that there is not a reaction from the youth about what is going on and is being done to them. Lily Allen's The Fear was a good one. I do wonder whether they understand what is going on, or are either in a state of stupor or completely dumbed down.

Music should rebel and should throw up leaders, foreseers and those who challenge the status quo. Maybe it exits on YouTube, but is a very bland era musically. Kids should be seething with anger, full of attitude.

The system has learned the lessons of the 60s and made sure that music, as are all entertainment options, is harmless. Harmless to the system of course, entertainment may be poisonous to an individual's well being but as long as it perpetuates the more is better ethos (like most rap videos), it will be promoted.

Geração À Rasca

I don't know anything about Portuguese but seeing as European languages can be similar to English (especially German) if I was to assume these were conversions of English words or vice versa it seems to be saying Generation Of Rascals.

Interesting you say about the older generation saying "but we were able to take those jobs when we were young" the exact same argument is being used by older generations across the Western world. It's really a hypocritical viewpoint because everyone knows it's a much harder job environment now with systematic failure, I think the older generation are just arrogant pricks who want to pretend things are just as easy now as they were in their day.

I dare say it but a lot of the older generation seem to take pleasure in us younger generation having to grind so hard, perhaps so they can think themselves better.

Edited by Saberu

I agree.

Some musicians get it - Lilly Allen, and I think this new bird with her song about ka-ching and bling, money doesn't buy you happiness. But real artists seem to be struck dumb, or may be too busy producing work for the fcukers who caused the disaster.

ps. I just heard Rat in the Kitchen for the first time in years on the radio - daft lyrics, but great sound.

Some musicians got it some time ago, but were ignored, or went unacknowledged including by people on this site. Listen to Shania Twain - visionary!

I hope it is not different this time. I don't know of any nation in history that has prospered by its populace living off benefits. The money masters won't allow it.

If you don't have a job it is different this time, you can game the system if you are prepared to, and have a lifestyle comparable with healthy wage.

I don't know anything about Portuguese but seeing as European languages can be similar to English (especially German) if I was to assume these were conversions of English words or vice versa it seems to be saying Generation Of Rascals.

Interesting you say about the older generation saying "but we were able to take those jobs when we were young" the exact same argument is being used by older generations across the Western world. It's really a hypocritical viewpoint because everyone knows it's a much harder job environment now with systematic failure,

I think the older generation are just arrogant pricks who want to pretend things are just as easy now as they were in their day.

I dare say it but a lot of the older generation seem to take pleasure in us younger generation having to grind so hard, perhaps so they can think themselves better.

Some chip on your shoulders!

Many of the current problems were created by 13 years of mis-managed (Immigration for just one thing), over spending, government.

How many 'X factor' youngsters voted for labour?

So they got what they voted for, them professional welfare takers.

Mind, the current coal-lit-vision has lots to do, but nothing could ever be as bad again as that loser Brown, however bruiser Balls would be pretty close, an arrogant, opportunist, non thinking politician, who has never had a proper job in his fat life. :P

When you get bands singing I predict a riot compared to White riot, it's not only the sentiment but just listen to the anger in the Clash song compared to the Kaisers, The Kaisers is a pop song equal to ring a ring a roses lol

Guest eight

He made one the other day about going to football matches with his mates. I nearly fainted.

eight

Guest eight

Green Day's American Idiot album is pertinent to Iraq.

You'd have a job writing a song about Afghanistan though as nobody seems to have a clue what it's all about. It would be like writing a skit on a parody.

eight

there are some exceptions, here is rage against the machine frontman and KRS1 (one of the originators of hip hop) attacking the CIA etc

and this is a modern classic immortal technique KRS 1 and eminem

needless to say both these example got zero radio play lol B)