House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Does Google's New Algorithm Spell End Of Content Farms?

The content farm, scourge of the Internet. Basic 101 articles that pop up in top search returns from Google from the same sites over and over with at best very basic advice and worse stating the moronic obvious. If you are using Google to find out about something that's important to you, chances are you'll be confronted with a crappy Wikihow article or E-how or Articlebase that leaves you none the wiser. They exist purely to pump out content, so they can get the top search rankings on Google and presumably make money from adclicks. Thousands of articles per month on a massive range of subjects are written, not by experts in the field, but by an army of students, unemployed graduates, soccer-moms and writer-mill losers who number in the thousands and churn the junk out that clogs up the Internet and your searches.

Has anyone else seen any improvement yet?

The content farm, scourge of the Internet. Basic 101 articles that pop up in top search returns from Google from the same sites over and over with at best very basic advice and worse stating the moronic obvious. If you are using Google to find out about something that's important to you, chances are you'll be confronted with a crappy Wikihow article or E-how or Articlebase that leaves you none the wiser. They exist purely to pump out content, so they can get the top search rankings on Google and presumably make money from adclicks. Thousands of articles per month on a massive range of subjects are written, not by experts in the field, but by an army of students, unemployed graduates, soccer-moms and writer-mill losers who number in the thousands and churn the junk out that clogs up the Internet and your searches.

Has anyone else seen any improvement yet?

I looked but just got an eHow page about how to avoid eHow pages.

I've been searching around a fair bit on IT forums recently for info regarding a new project... shocked at the proliferation of pidgin English as half of Asia piles in.

My pet hate is attempts to get you to pay to get information which is generally free, such as 'experts exchange'.

Just looked this up briefly - there is a Firefox extension called OptimizeGoogle which can be set up to filter this crap from eHow and the like.

Edit: OptimizeGoogle looks pretty handy. You can even remove the ads from Google's own pages - I hate being sold at. No more experts exchange for me... :)

I've been searching around a fair bit on IT forums recently for info regarding a new project... shocked at the proliferation of pidgin English as half of Asia piles in.

My pet hate is attempts to get you to pay to get information which is generally free, such as 'experts exchange'.

Just looked this up briefly - there is a Firefox extension called OptimizeGoogle which can be set up to filter this crap from eHow and the like.

Edit: OptimizeGoogle looks pretty handy. You can even remove the ads from Google's own pages - I hate being sold at. No more experts exchange for me... :)

Thanks, I'll have a look. Can you still see all the answers for free on Experts Exchange by looking at Google Cache?

Thanks, I'll have a look. Can you still see all the answers for free on Experts Exchange by looking at Google Cache?

Or scroll right down to the bottom of the page. Sometimes the information is there too.

There is an option to 'Rewrite links to point to Google Cache', not tested it yet though. I wouldn't want it doing that in all cases.

Dont even have to do that. Just scroll to the bottom of the page at EE and you will see the thread just the same way as Googles spiders finds it. ;)

? I don't think I'm seeing what you see.

I looked but just got an eHow page about how to avoid eHow pages.

It hasn't been rolled out to the UK yet, so that may be why you aren't noticing any difference.

Given how smart Google is at tracking user preferences, I am amazed they haven't simply allowed users to list the sites they never want to see again. Simple block list that filters out all the crap. Harnessing users to police this would be very effective - far more so than an algorithm that the sites can game.

Given how smart Google is at tracking user preferences, I am amazed they haven't simply allowed users to list the sites they never want to see again. Simple block list that filters out all the crap. Harnessing users to police this would be very effective - far more so than an algorithm that the sites can game.

There is an addon for the Chrome browser that does that, and they do monitor what people choose to block. I have used it to downvote ExpertS exChange.

They did have a X button next to the results where you could block domains.

It got dropped a while ago.

There is an addon for the Chrome browser that does that, and they do monitor what people choose to block. I have used it to downvote ExpertS exChange. /quote]

Excellent, thank you. Installed!

Been building "content farms" for ages but haven't noticed a huge difference. However I gather that ezinearticles traffic stream (and thus adsense revenue) which is a real article sewer dropped dramatically.

Don't expect Google to clamp down on too much on content farms too quickly, turkeys don't vote for Christmas, and the likes of eHow are big Adsense earners for them. I'm surprised at how eHow get away with incorporating Adsense into their content. Pretty certain I'd get my account banned, as they ads are blended so seemlessly into the content, but there you go.

These days Google is looking for more social proof, and I'm looking at trying and get away from chasing Google rankings. So as such I have thousands of Twitter accounts and so on. Recently I monetized a site completely within Facebook which is the new kid on the block in terms of advertising. At last an alternative to Google Adwords.

But don't be too hard on eHow, I've recently been scraping sections of their site, to add content to my own, but at least I've added more resources, video's, outgoing links to quality sites and so on.