House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

John Lewis Sales Picking Up As Ocado Sales Soar

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Ocado-shows-no-sign-consumer-reuters_molt-1639802594.html?x=0

Ocado shows no sign of consumer slowdown
Director DealingsBoard & Management ChangesNew Issues (IPOs).7:42, Friday 4 March 2011
LONDON (Reuters) - Online grocer Ocado posted a 25 percent rise in first-quarter sales and said it remained profitable, despite a challenging economic backdrop which has hit many retailers hard.
The group, which mostly sells the products of upmarket grocer Waitrose , said on Friday it made gross sales of 146.2 million pounds in the 12 weeks to February 20, in line with the trend reported at annual results last month.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/John-Lewis-sales-rise-school-reuters_molt-558490845.html;_ylt=Ahy8jlbBHunVO2H_TGmDovvSr7FG;_ylu=X3oDMTE4Ymczc2VpBHBvcwM1BHNlYwN5ZmlUb3BTdG9yaWVzBHNsawNqb2hubGV3aXNzYWw-?x=0

John Lewis sales rise as school's out
8:06, Friday 4 March 2011
LONDON (Reuters) - Sales at retailer John Lewis were sharply higher last week following five consecutive weeks of subdued sales, boosted by the later falling of half term school holidays in England this year.
The employee-owned group, which has long outperformed the broader retail sector, said on Friday sales at its department stores rose 7.2 percent to 54.0 million pounds in the week to February 26.
"While week 3 (week to February 19) was half term north of the border, it happened in the South last week and we finished the week 7.2 percent up on last year. Looking at the two-week period, taking into consideration the change of the half-term dates, we achieved a 3.4 percent increase," said selling director David Barford.
Fashion sales increased 10 percent, while sales in the electricals and home technology and home categories were up 6 percent and 5 percent respectively.
John Lewis, Britain's biggest department store group, said weekly sales were up 5.0 percent
excluding the recent rise in VAT
sales tax.

The Brown borrow and spend juggernaut keeps on going despite "austerity", Merv's "tough times," Dave's "all in it together except the banksters," tight credit, job losses.......................... :blink:

There may be more to this.

More people deciding that they aren't going to drive to the supermarket. A £6 a gallon, delivery is a pretty compelling option, and if you shop carefully, Ocado doesn't cost more.

John Lewis - flight to quality. Rather than buying disposable tat(new washing machine every 3 years), they are trading up to something that lasts 10 years.

Also - for the target demographic, the cuts/price rises aren't a big deal yet. £30 more to fill up the car once a week is OK if you're on £40K+. On £20K it is a very big deal indeed, but these people probably aren't the target demographic.

We are not minted at all but we use Ocado now, 8 years ago or so we used Mozzers, then Sainsburys for years and now we can’t be arsed shopping of a weekend.

It is not that much more expensive and you save an hour or so of time at the weekend. Quality of food is far superior to Sainsburys, which isn’t much more expensive than Mozzers.

You have to laugh at the major mults and the bullparade that they trot out with saving us all money on food when food inflation is rocketing ahead of prices outside the UK. Having worked on contracts with Mozzers and Asda i can safely say that both treat their employees at head office like crap – robo employees at Asda and mugged off non bank holiday employees at Morrisons.

It IS the big society. We ARE all in it together.

You ...Realistbear ... get to drive the van.

We are not minted at all but we use Ocado now, 8 years ago or so we used Mozzers, then Sainsburys for years and now we can't be arsed shopping of a weekend.

It is not that much more expensive and you save an hour or so of time at the weekend. Quality of food is far superior to Sainsburys, which isn't much more expensive than Mozzers.

You have to laugh at the major mults and the bullparade that they trot out with saving us all money on food when food inflation is rocketing ahead of prices outside the UK. Having worked on contracts with Mozzers and Asda i can safely say that both treat their employees at head office like crap – robo employees at Asda and mugged off non bank holiday employees at Morrisons.

We use Ocado for similar reasons. However, a couple of points:

- John Lewis have said they'll start delivering themselves in the London area in competition with Ocado.

- Ocado are already planning for this - have you noticed that a lot of Ocado-branded stuff is starting to appear instead of Waitrose-branded? I think this is going to hurt them, a lot, when people realise that it's not Waitrose stuff they're buying. Most of it seems to be similar quality, but the Ocado chicken is defintely inferiior to JL.

How do I short Ocado? (yes, I know it's been mooted before to the cost of those who did).

We are not minted at all but we use Ocado now, 8 years ago or so we used Mozzers, then Sainsburys for years and now we can't be arsed shopping of a weekend.

I must say I loath the idea of spending a chunk of my weekend battling for a parking spot at Tesco or Sainsbury's. Although, we'll be trying Ocado mainly because yesterday I was given a £15 off voucher for them when I shopped at WH Smith!

..... we also get fresh deliveries from a local farm (not national), but we do shop at Tesco. I do not understand why some people just cannot be arsed to drive to their local Tesco at night when it is open 24hrs, preferring instead to fight with everyone at the weekend. All you need is to send the male with a list, done and dusted, it now costs me 45 minutes door-to-door to complete the weekly dry grocery shop + tank of diesel. On a weekend day-time it'll be closer to 2 hours.

In response to RB - maybe you don't understand the concept of lots of money flooding the system, and some of it actually finding its way to plebs like us. After all, you are still a deflationista, aren't you?

John Lewis - flight to quality. Rather than buying disposable tat(new washing machine every 3 years), they are trading up to something that lasts 10 years..

I think this is a consumer loyalty myth that a lot of people have.

When you buy a washing machine from John Lewis, you are buying a branded, mass produced item, sold by millions of other resellers around the world. Why would buying it from John Lewis make it better quality?

I think this is a consumer loyalty myth that a lot of people have.

When you buy a washing machine from John Lewis, you are buying a branded, mass produced item, sold by millions of other resellers around the world. Why would buying it from John Lewis make it better quality?

I think JL have got a reputation for good customer support, possibly with good reason. For example, they sell computers / laptops that aren't cheaper than elsewhere but come automatically with warranties that give peace of mind, ie they won't quibble / charge lots to have it couriered back and forth.

In a nearby town to me (Tunbridge Wells) JL have just opened up a JL Home branch - replacing a Homebase that used to be there.

The place is packed every weekend, and have overheard people saying they have driven up from places as far away as Hastings to visit it :blink: So they must be doing something right.

But I never realised Homebase were in such a bad state that they were closing down branches (i dont think they have opened elsewhere in the locality)

John Lewis have certainly had a good 'recession' compared to others and have played a canny game picking up sites from the bigger boys when they hit trouble.

I think JL have got a reputation for good customer support, possibly with good reason. For example, they sell computers / laptops that aren't cheaper than elsewhere but come automatically with warranties that give peace of mind, ie they won't quibble / charge lots to have it couriered back and forth.

My personal experience with their 5yr guarantee on TVs concurs with this.

My personal experience with their 5yr guarantee on TVs concurs with this.

yup, got a tumble dryer off them with 3 years guarantee, instead of the 2 year manufacturer warranty. Of course, it buggers up, but john lewis's insurance agents send someone round to fix it promptly. Then it buggers up again, is deemed uneconomical to repair, and they give us the cost of the tumble dryer in a voucher to go towards buying a new one. Paid a bit extra on top of that and now have a tumble dryer with a 5-year guarantee. I can keep this lark going forever B)

In a nearby town to me (Tunbridge Wells) JL have just opened up a JL Home branch - replacing a Homebase that used to be there.

The place is packed every weekend, and have overheard people saying they have driven up from places as far away as Hastings to visit it :blink: So they must be doing something right.

But I never realised Homebase were in such a bad state that they were closing down branches (i dont think they have opened elsewhere in the locality)

John Lewis have certainly had a good 'recession' compared to others and have played a canny game picking up sites from the bigger boys when they hit trouble.

Yes, shopping is the new tourism....a new Sainsburies opened near here...they closed the old one...it was rammed for days...

This really is a SAD OLD WORLD where a supermarket is a day out for millions.

We use Ocado a lot and are very happy with them. My wife makes the point that as it comes straight from the warehouse you get more shelf-life and less waste. I sometimes see staff in my local Tesco doing what looks like loading trolleys for their delivery service and they look pretty slovenly, load the stuff any old how and would have an interest in shifting the shortest-date stuff first.