House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Mod Paid £22 For 65P Light Bulb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12643966

The Ministry of Defence has admitted it has been paying £22 for a light bulb worth 65p.

Defence Secretary Liam Fox described it as "inexcusable" and evidence of a waste of taxpayers' money by the previous Labour government.

The Sun newspaper has published an invoice it was shown by a soldier who works in the stores of a UK base.

Defence chiefs are also said to have paid £103 each for screws, believed to be on sale online for £2.60.

The soldier said he could not ignore the "criminal" waste he saw every day.

He told the Sun: "You're talking about a fortune for these bulbs. If I order 100, that's over £2,000. But you can pick them up for 65p each, the exact same ones.

"There must be thousands of light bulbs across the MoD. If people paid attention to simple things like this, they could save a lot of money - and maybe jobs."

But paying attention to this sort of thing means manager ultimately being in charge of lower budgets, what will this do to their ego.

Heartless story really, won't someone think of the happiness all this waste brings to the managers spending the money. How will they be able to brag to their mates about being in charge of £10m when they could do the same for £2.5m.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8360276/MoD-pays-150000-to-pulp-Afghanistan-book-after-bureaucratic-blunder.html

Liam Fox, the Defence Secretary, was said to be “incensed” last night by a bureaucratic blunder that left taxpayers with a £150,000 bill to pulp thousands of copies of a new book said to threaten national security.

So after 4 months reviewing the book they then realised it compromised national security..... on the eve of publication :rolleyes:

Local goverment are paying a council clerkl £500,000 for a £50k job in Somerset. Pattern of waste. It could be that if the government purchased at market rates the deficit could be reduced by a third.

It happened in the US a few years back when they reported that the air force had paid $250 for a khazi seat. A lot of graft in government purchasing--kickbacks are rife so I suspect there is widespread and systemic corruption involved rather than just plain stupidity. Probably both. But we pay! :angry:

Edited by Realistbear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12643966

But paying attention to this sort of thing means manager ultimately being in charge of lower budgets, what will this do to their ego.

Heartless story really, won't someone think of the happiness all this waste brings to the managers spending the money. How will they be able to brag to their mates about being in charge of £10m when they could do the same for £2.5m.

Yes

or as Reagan pointed out years ago, empire builders require bigger budgets so they can justify more salary for themselves.

but then Reagan was mad, hey?

Sorry for wanting actual details but is this:

£22 paid for a lightbulb going to an external supplier just for the cost of the lightbulb?

£22 going to an outsourced company just for the cost of the lightbulb?

£22 going to an outsourced company for the supply and fit of the lightbulb?

£22 going on an internal budget to the maintainence department?

I did some work at a council that charged £40 an hour for basic admin work and invoiced internally between budget codes for this amount. Although the charge was ludicrously high, and charging at all for internal work seemed bizarre to me, the money never actually left the authority.

Yes

or as Reagan pointed out years ago, empire builders require bigger budgets so they can justify more salary for themselves.

but then Reagan was mad, hey?

Well Reagan liked to run up huge national debts and unbalanced budgets. Does that mean he was mad ......or just the US teacher of Gordon Brown?

I recently visited some fire stations and hospitals as part of my work and got chatting to staff there. At the hospital the staff had been on a 1-day course on "How to use a ladder". Even the staff said it was ludicrous. These are people who don't often, if ever, use ladders at work. A whole day!

At the fire station I was told they were not allowed to change light bulbs, they had to get the site services people to do it, who had to travel from another site. "You can walk into a burning building but you can't change a ******ing light bulb"!

Completely bonkers. :wacko:

I recently visited some fire stations and hospitals as part of my work and got chatting to staff there. At the hospital the staff had been on a 1-day course on "How to use a ladder". Even the staff said it was ludicrous. These are people who don't often, if ever, use ladders at work. A whole day!

At the fire station I was told they were not allowed to change light bulbs, they had to get the site services people to do it, who had to travel from another site. "You can walk into a burning building but you can't change a ******ing light bulb"!

Completely bonkers. :wacko:

This whole post seems full of possible brown envelopes. The British government need to admit to the public 100-200 billion pounds of the budget is wasted on gold lined, specially hand crafted brown envelopes :P

They likely have a dedicated lighting maintenance company dedicated to providing 24 hour cover with a 2 hour maximum callout time, with sattelite offices all around the country with engineers ready to travel to any location ata moments notice should a lightbulb be reported as defective.

This service is not one that should be taken lightly, and I for one am happy that our troops are being supported - after all, where would they be without lightbulbs?

It is a small price to pay to protect our national security.

The only part of this that surprises me is that people are surprised.

When an organisation is not operated on a commercial basis this is inevitable.

The only part of this that surprises me is that people are surprised.

When an organisation is not operated on a commercial basis this is inevitable.

This happens in the Motor Trade.Little old biddy goes into a main dealership with a light out.They raise a job card and a mechanic fits a £1 bulb.She gets a bill for the bulb,probably charged £4, half an hours labour,£30,+ VAT on both : result £40.80 on the invoice.

This happens in the Motor Trade.Little old biddy goes into a main dealership with a light out.They raise a job card and a mechanic fits a £1 bulb.She gets a bill for the bulb,probably charged £4, half an hours labour,£30,+ VAT on both : result £40.80 on the invoice.

However, if she had built up a relationship with her local garage, they'd have probably done the 2-minute job for the cost of the lightbulb.

Alternatively, she could have gone to Halfords, who I think charge £5 on top of the cost for fitting. Not a bargain by any means, but certainly not the rip off that you describe.

If you go into a main dealership, you desreve to be ripped off.

If the little old dear hasn't the marbles to realise to shop around, IMO, she doesn't have the marbles to be allowed to drive.

Sure, I mean BUYING stuff at this rate is inevitable unless the organisation has a commercial purpose.

Selling at that rate is what the commercial venture will do if it finds someone ignorant and clueless, like your old biddy or the MOD.

However, if she had built up a relationship with her local garage, they'd have probably done the 2-minute job for the cost of the lightbulb.

Alternatively, she could have gone to Halfords, who I think charge £5 on top of the cost for fitting. Not a bargain by any means, but certainly not the rip off that you describe.

If you go into a main dealership, you desreve to be ripped off.

If the little old dear hasn't the marbles to realise to shop around, IMO, she doesn't have the marbles to be allowed to drive.

my dealership fits bulbs for free.

They likely have a dedicated lighting maintenance company dedicated to providing 24 hour cover with a 2 hour maximum callout time, with sattelite offices all around the country with engineers ready to travel to any location ata moments notice should a lightbulb be reported as defective.

This service is not one that should be taken lightly, and I for one am happy that our troops are being supported - after all, where would they be without lightbulbs?

It is a small price to pay to protect our national security.

Are you ******ing kidding me? Do you believe that drivel you have just written?

It's a lightbulb for christ sake. Sounds suspiciously like you are the one earning a living off this expensive lightbulb endevor or similarly corrupt public sector deals :rolleyes:

Are you ******ing kidding me? Do you believe that drivel you have just written?

It's a lightbulb for christ sake. Sounds suspiciously like you are the one earning a living off this expensive lightbulb endevor or similarly corrupt public sector deals :rolleyes:

Yes, I am kidding, and of course I don't believe that. Can't believe you took that as a serious post.

Actually, I it probably is something like the process that probably happens! :D

Sorry to get all anecdotal on you, but...

My mate used to work for his local PCT doing admin. One of his responsibilities was ordering the stationary. He said that the company that they had to order everything through was much steeper than the going rate. He even went to his managers and suggested that he go down to Smiths once a month and buy it all from there, because it was cheaper. They said no.

oh, and the article now reads:

"The Ministry of Defence has dismissed newspaper reports that it has been paying more than £20 for light bulbs that can be bought for 65p elsewhere."