House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Taking A Dip On Benefits: The Council House With A Pool In The Back Garden

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1362727/Taking-dip-benefits-The-council-house-pool-garden.html

From the front, the houses on the deprived council estate in a former mining village look much the same.

But to the astonishment of local authority inspectors, one property was hiding a feature that made it the envy of all the neighbours.

Instead of a patch of lawn, the entire back garden was taken up with a swimming pool and decking.

Something is amiss with this story, the house also has an extension not sure how many council houses end up with extensions. Also the property doesn't appear to be the normal run down council house, I'd like to see a picture from the front.

Although if I was a neighbour I doubt I'd be too upset the pool looks like a large fish pond.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1362727/Taking-dip-benefits-The-council-house-pool-garden.html

Something is amiss with this story, the house also has an extension not sure how many council houses end up with extensions. Also the property doesn't appear to be the normal run down council house, I'd like to see a picture from the front.

Although if I was a neighbour I doubt I'd be too upset the pool looks like a large fish pond.

There's a picture of the house from the front on the page you link to.

Typical Mail ********, is there any suggestion they were on benefits when they installed the pool? No.

what do you think? her husband is in prison maybe the pool was installed with the proceeds of his hard work. still if you are slaving on low wages, you cannot afford the pool let alone heating it.

Typical Mail ********, is there any suggestion they were on benefits when they installed the pool? No.

No taxpayers funds went towards this.. It was all paid for by honest hard graft.....

Mrs Frost said her husband, a second-hand car salesman, was in prison awaiting sentence after admitting handling stolen goods.

If he is going to pokey for handling then there must have been some serious numbers behind it...........

Perhaps scrolling down would have helped.

Couldn't be bothered reading it all.... :P

:lol:

(I only noticed because I clicked the link to have a look at the pictures, certainly is looking unwelcomingly fish pond like)

Guest sillybear2

No taxpayers funds went towards this.. It was all paid for by honest hard graft.....

If he is going to pokey for handling then there must have been some serious numbers behind it...........

Is the house really still owned by the local authority? If so the council should be thanking them for making so many improvements :lol:

The Mail has a curious measure of moral outrage, what about the rest of the estate, they may have spent their "hard earned" on cannabis or on the xbox. Those guys wanted a large murky fish pond pool instead.

My internet is really being arsey today.

The images are taking foreever to load.

One on Shawford road came for sale and that had a pool and a caravan in the back garden

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Shawford+Rd,+Manchester+M40,+United+Kingdom&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hl=en&geocode=FRCqMAMdIbre_w&split=0&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=6.881357,14.941406&hq=&hnear=Shawford+Rd,+Manchester+M40,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.520497,-2.180209&spn=0.001057,0.002411&t=h&z=19

It's not listed now though but you can see the pool.

Was only £99k I think

Edited by SarahBell

Guest sillybear2

My internet is really being arsey today.

The images are taking foreever to load.

Their back garden basically looks like this :-

larry_swamp_thang.jpg

Joined-up thinking suggests she was already the tenant before marrying him. Typical Mail trash, trying to foment hatred and jealousy among the neighbours. (She looks more like 41 than 31, IMHO.)

http://www.dailymail...ool-garden.html

:D

I just love the daily mail.

Joined-up thinking suggests she was already the tenant before marrying him. Typical Mail trash, trying to foment hatred and jealousy among the neighbours. (She looks more like 41 than 31, IMHO.)

Well, I'd say they're trying to foment jealousy on a national level. The truth is that council rents are lower than private rents, hence the pool, nice gates and posh cars etc. Perhaps this is one of the reasons our rents are going up so much. My rent letter came today (7% up) and it seems that next year the council will buy our homes from the government so finally I'll be paying part of my rent to the banks! 200,000,000 will be borrowed over 30 years.

Hopefully we'll see a 20% drop in house prices and I'll be able to escape paying 80% of private rents.

Edited by council dweller

Aren't proper swimming pools tiled and that?

This effort is little more than some Green bin bags stuffed into a hole and filled with water..... more lagos than los angeles

This effort is little more than some Green bin bags stuffed into a hole and filled with water..... more lagos than los angeles

That's what I thought. It looks like crap.

It looks like it could be full of crap. Like the Grand Union Canal, full of old bikes, prams and shopping trolleys.

:lol:

It's the Brit's vision of the Florida good life.

Dad, big-bellied, tatooed and arseholed on Kestrel lager, turns Kwiksave burgers on a rusting barbeque, belching clouds of greasy smoke.

Mum, tanned a leathery orange, shouts at the kids in the home-made 'pool' to get the Rottie out "before he punctures the ******* lining!".

Edited by juvenal