House Price Crash Forum

Wtf Are People Too Poor To Eat Now?

HOLA441

I don't get it....

I'm pish poor and I am most definately at the bottom of the totem pole where I work in terms of pay and benefits (i.e. I get NO benefits :lol: ). If it comes to redundancies I'm last in and thus first out the door. Consequently I merely cruise at work.

And yet at work ALL day I sat around people hearing their stomachs churn from hunger, not just before lunch but from the moment they sit down at the start of the morning till lunch when I've not actually seen anybody actually eat. I did see a sad looking morsel on Wednesday and a woman sitting behind me have two tomatoes for lunch, but little actual food.

All these people are paid a hell of a lot more than me, yet somehow they can't afford to eat?

I'd note that these people all bought at 2007/8 around the peak and are mortgaged absolutely to the hilt :blink:

Or are they simply eating badly thus get hungry fast? I tend to eat oats two meals a day and don't have a rumbly gut like all of these people.

None of them are fat and appear to be on diets or anything like that.

Any body else noticed this?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

And yet at work ALL day I sat around people hearing their stomachs churn from hunger, not just before lunch but from the moment they sit down at the start of the morning till lunch when I've not actually seen anybody actually eat. I did see a sad looking morsel on Wednesday and a woman sitting behind me have two tomatoes for lunch, but little actual food.

Are they on a diet?

HOLA443
HOLA444

I regularly see people spend £5 - £10 on a day's lunch! A sandwich, bottle of drink, crisps, chocolate bar, maybe some fruit. Processed junk basically.

My week's lunches probably cost that - and that inclucde Organic meat, make up a week's worth and freeze down, take to work.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I've never been extravagant with my food shopping but I do look for more cheap offers and have cut down the amount of chicken based meals I cook as chicken is expensive.

I don't eat much breakfast and tend to make sandwiches for lunch because we have our main meal in the evening. If I was expecting a day of strenuous physical activity, like going for a long walk or cycle ride, I'd have a bigger breakfast, but otherwise a cereal and coffee does me fine.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

HOLA447
HOLA448

I have noticed that there are far less Fatties around than there were five years ago.

I think this could be a big side benefit of collapsing living standards. As food gets very expensive relative to income, people will have to eat less. A few years of doing that and they will become thin.

Personally I would rather live in a poorer nation where almost everyone was fit an healthy.. than in a rich nation of obese people with obese lifestyles.

HOLA449

A couple of years back, a lady my wife worked with said she'd had a pack of custard creams for her dinner. Another night she had a bag of cocktail sausages. A bit special methinks. :D

A large number of people seem to lazy/skint/stupid to make a cheap, filling, nutritious lunch... maybe they're up so late watching crap TV they're short of time in the morning?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I've never been extravagant with my food shopping but I do look for more cheap offers and have cut down the amount of chicken based meals I cook as chicken is expensive.

3 quid for a large one at tescos - wtf are you talking about? Feed a family of 4 for 2 days on about £6 including gas!

HOLA4412

3 quid for a large one at tescos - wtf are you talking about? Feed a family of 4 for 2 days on about £6 including gas!

Yes, but that type of chicken will have been fed on sewage for all of its life and then you eat it.

Tasty chicken is expensive.

HOLA4413

Since my wage has been stagnant and the price of just about everything has risen, I have stopped eating out, stopped buying movies on box office and stopped drinking wine every night, but I still eat like a pig every meal time and have many snacks throughout the day. There is no excuse for starving yourself!

HOLA4414

Yes, but that type of chicken will have been fed on sewage for all of its life and then you eat it.

worse than that. That sort of chicken was fed sewage in brazil then the carcass pumped full of salt water so that it could be exported cheaply to holland. In holland it is put in a big washing machine and the salt water battered out of it. It then gets sold to us at our prices as chicken - somehow.

HOLA4415

I still eat like a pig every meal time and have many snacks throughout the day. There is no excuse for starving yourself!

That's fine if you do a physical job but if you don't burn it all off again then you tend to become extremely corpulent and that is not a good thing to be.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

That's fine if you do a physical job but if you don't burn it all off again then you tend to become extremely corpulent and that is not a good thing to be.

+1

fine if you gorge on fruit, nuts and veg. Fine too if you gorge on snickers and hob nobs but no good for you.

I could happily eat sh1t all day long but I think that my family are going to need me more than ever to be fit and healthy for what may be coming.

HOLA4418

Buy the thighs, still cheap and have the most flavour anyway. Or but the whole bird free range and make sure you use all the meat - then use the bones for stock - cheap if you ask me.

HOLA4419

All these people are paid a hell of a lot more than me, yet somehow they can't afford to eat?

I'd note that these people all bought at 2007/8 around the peak and are mortgaged absolutely to the hilt :blink:

Or are they simply eating badly thus get hungry fast? I tend to eat oats two meals a day and don't have a rumbly gut like all of these people.

I think there is a lack of education that means people no longer know how to feed themselves on the cheap. My weekly lunches do not cost me much as I will make them at home.

On a good week I will have some leftover roast chicken to put in sandwiches, otherwise some half decent cheese and a couple of tomatos will do sandwiches on another day. So many people appear to have no concept of how to feed themselves on 'real' food or realise how cheap it is. Think about how much one takeaway costs ~£6 per person - that is about a third of my entire weekly food budget - and I dont just eat crap.

Obviously kids up the costs somewhat, but I grew up in the 80's with parents who were frugal to the extreme (despite having money) so there was lots of lentils/potatos/rice/soups etc. I remember not liking it very much but it did the job. Crisps/fizzy pop and processed food etc.were definately limited. Oh and we ate what was put in front of us as we knew there was no alternative.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I think there is a lack of education that means people no longer know how to feed themselves on the cheap. My weekly lunches do not cost me much as I will make them at home.

Back in my day in the 1990s we had a class Home economics once a week usually Fridays we'd have a class where we'd cook something from scratch. I still remember these quite well. That and my chef training has helped me cook for myself for years.

HOLA4422

Back in my day in the 1990s we had a class Home economics once a week usually Fridays we'd have a class where we'd cook something from scratch. I still remember these quite well. That and my chef training has helped me cook for myself for years.

I did Home Economics for GCSE and I remember my friends thinking I was silly for choosing it. At the time it was viewed negative and old fashioned to learn how to cook (and people still think this way?).

Fact was that the course was a piece of piss to me as my mum had brought me up to know how to cook I got an A* for doing very little work. So many of my classmates really struggled with the basics, I remember one girl who at the start of the class could not peel a carrot, from memory I think she failed, which is worrying as I am sure things have not got any better in the last 15/20 years.

It was though a valuable course though as there was a huge amount of food safety and nutrition included. Looking back I wished I had continued with it as surely it is now a growth area.

HOLA4423

Buy the thighs, still cheap and have the most flavour anyway. Or but the whole bird free range and make sure you use all the meat - then use the bones for stock - cheap if you ask me.

I'm getting into a routine of buying free-range "yellow" chickens from M&S. £8, roast meal for 2. Cold meat for sandwiches for a couple of lunches (for both of us). Throw the carcass into a pan full of water and boil very slowly for a few hours, then add a "winter pulses" bag with lentils, barley, etc... plus a couple of potatoes.

Suddenly that expensive chicken is looking like a bargain :)

HOLA4424

really?

home ec didnt teach me a thing.

I remember having to take in some lamb bones and hers to learn how to make soup.

Got thrown away.

Didnt teach me a single thing about cooking. Only thing that I enjoyed was when we made upside down pineapple cakes.....I went around and discreetly turned all of the ovens up :D lots of burnt stuff and smoke :lol:

HOLA4425

I'm getting into a routine of buying free-range "yellow" chickens from M&S. £8, roast meal for 2. Cold meat for sandwiches for a couple of lunches (for both of us). Throw the carcass into a pan full of water and boil very slowly for a few hours, then add a "winter pulses" bag with lentils, barley, etc... plus a couple of potatoes.

Suddenly that expensive chicken is looking like a bargain :)

But do you remember the Jamie Oliver programme wheer he spoke to 'poor' people who said that when they bought a roast chicken they ate the breasts and threw the rest away?

Education is the key and our children are not getting it, most of the parents appear to be clueless and the schools are just not teaching it.