House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

Jumping Out Of A Plane

Anyone with any experience of skydiving?

I have a niece (18) who reckons life / grownups / study etc is a real bore. When asked what she didn't find boring, she remarked that skydiving sounded like a good laugh (or some such words). At the time I told her she should try filling out tax returns if she really wanted to 'know boring'.

However, I'm wondering whether enrolling her for the big plunge might inspire her / bolster her confidence / give her a little vava-voom, generally lift her from her Harry-Enfield-esqe teenage torpor.

Have to say my limited experience of her reactions to "danger" don't bode well (scared shitless by a local cat I adopted. A cat!!). In my time I've done a few stupid things (hey, they didn't seem that way at the time) and from things my father has told me, it seems to run in the family. So maybe she really does want to give it a go. Or maybe she was just doing the bored teenager thing.

Is confronting danger an important thing to do? Or can it make you reckless? I'm very analytical, yet I will admit to having taken far too many risks in the past financially. Some risks can be prepared for. Some can't. Jumping out of a plane (especially tandem) might not necessarily convince one of an inner "ability", cos you are basically relying on gravity!

Moreover, I thought of jumping with her, as a kind of moral support thing. But then it occured to me : what if I present this opportunity and she can't bring herself to do it? I guess I'd have to not jump as well. Maybe it would be better to ley her jump alone. Then again, she might still (undersyandably) not want to do it. How would that affect her? Probably negatively.

Thoughts much appreciated!

I've done it, great fun but I was in the military at the time so went off doing it for 2 weeks.

Not sure what you could get doing it on your own or what it would cost. I think that the most likely is to get a single tandem jump, not sure what courses would be on offer to get onto dope rope and then diving.

A tandem jump would be a good start though and a great present for the lively.

Also, I had done masses of climbing and abseiling so wasnt remotely bothered about heights. That didnt help :lol:

Why jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane? A far more exhilarating experience would be to do a paragliding flight with an experienced instructor who'll get her to cloudbase and do a SAT :D Leavesley Aviation (Mark Leavesley) based on the welsh/Shropshire border is one who comes highly recommended - he's doing tandems from £50 on offer right now.

Why jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane? A far more exhilarating experience would be to do a paragliding flight with an experienced instructor who'll get her to cloudbase and do a SAT :D Leavesley Aviation (Mark Leavesley) based on the welsh/Shropshire border is one who comes highly recommended - he's doing tandems from £50 on offer right now.

I always wanted to do that, actually flying would be much more of an experience although not for someone seeking an adrenaline rush.

I always wanted to do that, actually flying would be much more of an experience although not for someone seeking an adrenaline rush.

Get her a flight in a helicopter with an instructor who likes autos to the ground.

My cousin is in the forces and his wife is jumping to raise money for his mate who lost both his legs in Afghanistan. I am sponsoring her.

I would just tell your niece that if she was to jump then a good motivation would be for chairty maybe and offer to sponsor or help fund her jump should she think it was a good thing to do.

Won`t cost her anything if sponsored and it will be her idea. She will be motivated to jump for fear of letting numerous people down.

Plus if anything went wrong you will not feel like you pushed her out the plane... :lol:

Also, I had done masses of climbing and abseiling so wasnt remotely bothered about heights. That didnt help :lol:

Why jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane?

Classic comments, and some nice suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Anyone believe such experiences are in some way 'beneficial', or are they just a more 'out-there' version of Six Flags / Alton Towers?

My cousin is in the forces and his wife is jumping to raise money for his mate who lost both his legs in Afghanistan. I am sponsoring her.

I would just tell your niece that if she was to jump then a good motivation would be for chairty maybe and offer to sponsor or help fund her jump should she think it was a good thing to do.

Won`t cost her anything if sponsored and it will be her idea. She will be motivated to jump for fear of letting numerous people down.

Plus if anything went wrong you will not feel like you pushed her out the plane... :lol:

+1

Yeah, I'd already thought this might be the best approach. She did actually say she thought about jumping for charity, - not for the charity mind you, just for the free jump! Teenagers ! Concur entirely with all the points you've made.

Get her a flight in a helicopter with an instructor who likes autos to the ground.

All instructors like autos, it's apart of the syllabus and I have to say not very exciting nothing happens other than it goes relatively quiet in the cockpit.

I allowed my PPL(H) to lapse as the R22 is known in the industry as a widow maker, in that respect they are very exciting - low inertia rotor system, mast bumping, carb icing and lots of other nasties.

RichyC paragliding can be very exciting and adrenalin packed if you choose the right instructor. 6g manoeuvres are easily achievable but of course we can blackout way before then. :D

RichyC paragliding can be very exciting and adrenalin packed if you choose the right instructor. 6g manoeuvres are easily achievable but of course we can blackout way before then. :D

'bout 15 years ago I caught wind of paramotoring. Saw some really frightening SAT stuff being done - pilot above the canopy - yikes!!!

Thought : I could handle this, but what for (needed an excuse to spend the money)? Bling! A light came on in my head : hardly anybody is doing this; gap in the market; I could start a club, rent / sell equipment etc; won't make much to start with, but in time; yay! Boy was I stoked. However, the anaytical mind kicked in. Better canvass my thrill seeking friends about this as an idea. It was then I realised why so few people were doing it and why it was no business. :D

'bout 15 years ago I caught wind of paramotoring. Saw some really frightening SAT stuff being done - pilot above the canopy - yikes!!!

Thought : I could handle this, but what for (needed an excuse to spend the money)? Bling! A light came on in my head : hardly anybody is doing this; gap in the market; I could start a club, rent / sell equipment etc; won't make much to start with, but in time; yay! Boy was I stoked. However, the anaytical mind kicked in. Better canvass my thrill seeking friends about this as an idea. It was then I realised why so few people were doing it and why it was no business. :D

There's a saying in the paragliding industry...

What's the difference between a pizza and a paragliding instructor ?

answer.

A pizza can feed a family of four!

They are alot safer nowadays. Paramotoring is ok the only person I knew that SAT a paramotor in the UK was Julius Gee and in doing so sadly it killed him - young and talented :(

Don't buy her a tandem jump. It's a waste, 55 seconds and thats it. Buy her an AFF level 1 it will cost about the same but it will have 1 whole day of ground school and one jump (with two instructors) which is a hell of a lot more than just a pop n drop tandem.

If you want to extend it even more buy her a RAPS course. 8 jumps via static line total free fall is about 40 seconds from ALL jumps. Post level 8 RAPS you can jump alone. Though I HIGHLY advise against new RAPS students doing freefall as they have absolutely no idea of how to free fall. They simply get pushed out at higher and higher altitudes and have parachutes pulled after about 4 seconds. Which isn't enough to get to terminal velocity. It took me till my 7th jump to be able to exert a decent degree of control. By it took me till jump 17 to be able to be nicely stable and actually play in the air.

My home drop zone from this weekend forth will be Black knights in Blackpool. Black knights are funny because they use round canopies for their reserves.

Is confronting danger an important thing to do? Or can it make you reckless? I'm very analytical, yet I will admit to having taken far too many risks in the past financially. Some risks can be prepared for. Some can't. Jumping out of a plane (especially tandem) might not necessarily convince one of an inner "ability", cos you are basically relying on gravity!

It is but I don't actually fear it. I felt iffy till the third jump it was just before they opened the door and the engines were throttled down. It goes all quiet for a moment until I go out the door going woo!

Moreover, I thought of jumping with her, as a kind of moral support thing. But then it occured to me : what if I present this opportunity and she can't bring herself to do it? I guess I'd have to not jump as well. Maybe it would be better to ley her jump alone. Then again, she might still (undersyandably) not want to do it. How would that affect her? Probably negatively.

In RAPS and AFF there is no such thing as saying no. In RAPS you are always positioned as first out the door due to the nature of RAPS they drop lower so they load last and are right next to the door. You get hooked on and pushed out.

In AFF there is also no such thing as saying no. The secondary will open the door and shout ready to skydive? The primary will grab your hip tab you do the check in check out and you're out the door.

If you say no the primary and secondary skip the check in check out sequence and jump out while holding you dragging you out regardless. Quite commonly they also do the above trick i.e. seat you right next to the door and drag you out with them.

Don't buy her a tandem jump. It's a waste, 55 seconds and thats it. Buy her an AFF level 1 it will cost about the same but it will have 1 whole day of ground school and one jump (with two instructors) which is a hell of a lot more than just a pop n drop tandem.

Second that. I did a static line many years ago. When the chutes were round.

Amazing how you just do as youve been instructed. Standing outside a Cessna at 2500 feet waititng to be told to jump.

I did a few more jumps the next day.

Never bugee jumped but I would think it very similar.

Do it

Did static line at Netheravon but could never get a spell of clear weather to make my conversion to freefall - went with freefall addicts in Spain.

Did the entire AFF course (for about 1600eu) in 4 days plus consolidation jumps.

Had a mad German instructor called Ulli who handed me a luminous jump suit and said

"Don't vorry, ziz iz ze last suit you vill ever vear. Ve just stitch up ze wrists und de ankles". Something very Herr Flick about it.

Because I weighed a lot more that him, he used to wear a diver's weight belt with lead weights when jumping.

One of the best weeks of my life, couldn't recommend it more highly.

Freefall Addicts

did a

tandem parachute jump in new zealand 10 years ago, great fun and felt quite safe so less adrenaline than a bungy jump where you are on your own. Scariest was the olympic bobsleigh in france last year, not sure i would do that again. She should do it, makes you feel alive.

Thanks for all the input peeps. Keep it coming.

PS : just been reminded of Australian cowboy helicopter pilots (BBC Human Planet). Now that's some dangerous sh!t! :D

did a

tandem parachute jump in new zealand 10 years ago, great fun and felt quite safe so less adrenaline than a bungy jump where you are on your own.

Its to do with being connected to the ground I think, bungee you are connected via a crane or whatever. While in a plane you are disconnected from the ground. It doesn't even look real as you jump out.

I agree with the others but did say that a tandem would be a good start. Depends on whether she is likely to give it a crack or be terrified and jack it. Have seen some funny tandems, once they are in the door then they are going regardless, I swear you can hear the screems over the engines for a good while :lol:

55 seconds? Tandems normally drop out quite high. I just checked netheravon and tandems come out at 13,500. That is 45 seconds of freefall and 5 minutes under a canopy. Hardly a waste of cash for a trial is it?

A tandem is £250 or a static line drop from 3,500 is £185 so if there is a chance she may like it and carry on then the static line is best as she can progress to freefall herself.

All instructors like autos, it's apart of the syllabus and I have to say not very exciting nothing happens other than it goes relatively quiet in the cockpit.

I allowed my PPL(H) to lapse as the R22 is known in the industry as a widow maker, in that respect they are very exciting - low inertia rotor system, mast bumping, carb icing and lots of other nasties.

That's a bit unfair, the R22 is a great little machine. Keep the disk loaded, governor on at all times and remember the carb heat, as you were taught, and you'll be fine.

A tandem is £250 or a static line drop from 3,500 is £185 so if there is a chance she may like it and carry on then the static line is best as she can progress to freefall herself.

An AFF level from 15000ft is £300.

Its to do with being connected to the ground I think, bungee you are connected via a crane or whatever. While in a plane you are disconnected from the ground. It doesn't even look real as you jump out.

Exactly.

I don't like heights. Not scared of them but certainly not their best friend.

Yet I found skydiving from 14,000 ft not particularly scary. More surreal.

As for static line from 800ft ? Now that is ******ing frightening. Just like jumping of a very very very high building.

Sledghead - she may as well have a try. Just another thing to do in this short life of ours. ****** it. In fact you should do it yourself and post us the pics. :D

Exactly.

I don't like heights. Not scared of them but certainly not their best friend.

Yet I found skydiving from 14,000 ft not particularly scary. More surreal.

As for static line from 800ft ? Now that is ******ing frightening. Just like jumping of a very very very high building.

Sledghead - she may as well have a try. Just another thing to do in this short life of ours. ****** it. In fact you should do it yourself and post us the pics. :D

was that 800 on a round chute?

not scary from 14k? maybe not on the way down but I bet the beginning was :)

The 3 worst words in the world......."in the door" :lol:

I had the chance but now regret never doing it. :(

Although as other's have said, why jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane? :unsure:

why not?

something that you will likely never do again.

Test of character, will, thrill, fear...........

Lots of other things to have a crack at though....climbing, abseiling, crag hopping, canoeing, white water........

You can sit watching eastenders or you can get out and scare the crap out of youself, makes no difference what you did when you are in a box......apart from to you. Was the time well spent?

where? AFF level1 is £350 at netheravon, the AFF course is £1350.

Don't look at prices on drop zone websites. Visit a big drop zone like Hibaldstow and you will find lots of independent AFF (qualified) instructors who will do you a deal. Look at it this way. S charges £300 for level 1.

She makes money on it, airfare is £20+20+20~ £60 she uses her kit which means no hire fee. + 1 day ground school which can be done in a cafe or renting a drop zone class room which is £20 for a whole day. Costs are £80 and £220 pure profit for her. Except she gives logbooks and goggles to people as part of the course meaning she makes £200 on level 1s.

Drop zones charge more because the tied instructors are associated with the school and they have to take their cut for the overheads. While indies (and there are some fantastic ones about) will charge you a lot less.

It's quite normal. In Europe for instance it says AFF level 1-3 repeat 250 Euro 4-7 repeat 130 Euro. Very few drop zones have a lock out whereby only the instructors who are associated with the school can teach there.