House Price Crash Forum
winkie

A 5% Savings Rate.

Seen a best buy 4% 18 months fixed 5% 3 years fixed.

Not seen 5% for a while.....is it telling us that interest rates are now on the up?

Close Brothers Ltd..Your savings of up to £85,000 will now be covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme following the increase in cover from £50,000 to £85,000 from January 2011. For more information please visit www.fscs.org.uk.

Taken from their website.

Good stuff.

Loans and savings rates have been seperated from the daft BOE rate for ages now. Not even close to their numbers. Makes the BOE a laughing stock and at risk of losing complete control IMHO.

I got some NSandI inflation linked + bonus 3 and 5 year bonds a while ago, just before they pulled them off the market completely. To me that was the first sign that they expected rates and inflation to rise.

Not seen 5% for a while.....is it telling us that interest rates are now on the up?

Close Brothers Ltd..Your savings of up to £85,000 will now be covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme following the increase in cover from £50,000 to £85,000 from January 2011. For more information please visit www.fscs.org.uk.

So, even if you lock in for 18 months to 3 years you still losing to inflation!

Interest rates may go up, but it will not be anything meaningful, IMO.

It's a good sign.

But i tied up my savings 2008-2010. Ok i got 7% on them, i wasn't looking for property at the time but have discovered 2 repo properties were sold during that time at 2002 prices in my target area. So unless the account allows access with loss of interest ive learn't to stay flexible.

Good stuff.

Loans and savings rates have been seperated from the daft BOE rate for ages now. Not even close to their numbers. Makes the BOE a laughing stock and at risk of losing complete control IMHO.

I got some NSandI inflation linked + bonus 3 and 5 year bonds a while ago, just before they pulled them off the market completely. To me that was the first sign that they expected rates and inflation to rise.

I couldn't believe it when I enquired about the rate paid on the NS&I investment account it was 0.2%...that is what they think about their savers, the value put on them. :ph34r:

.....when has it been meaningful?.....no risk has a price.....I am sure you can find better riskier investments....dare I mention paying the wrong price for the wrong property. ;)

isnt that the point?

no one is doing you any favours here

isnt that the point?

Well nobody knows whos ultimately doing who a favour until you are 3 years down the line

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

isnt that the point?

3% is better than 0%.

isnt that the point?

I have long since given up any hope on savings accounts. I also have friends who talk about holding out a bit longer for that quarter percent interest rate hike. I could not be any less interested in such pathetic offerings.

Well nobody knows whos ultimately doing who a favour until you are 3 years down the line

Agreed but my point was that if someone is offering you 5% to tie up cash with them for 3 years then it is not because they expect rates to stay low and be paying you is it? They obviously believe that it will be in their interest, whether they are right or not we shall have to wait for :)

3% is better than 0%.

only just

if you cant find something that will offer a better return then you may as well be getting 0 and at least have it safe under your bed :lol:

Can't seem to find it on their website?

3% that is insignificant and not worth bothering with compared to the monetary metals performance.

fantastic, someones offering guaranteed returns based on past performance, they must be doing fantastic business, do you have a link?

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Agreed but my point was that if someone is offering you 5% to tie up cash with them for 3 years then it is not because they expect rates to stay low and be paying you is it? They obviously believe that it will be in their interest, whether they are right or not we shall have to wait for :)

I get 5% on average in 3 - 4 months on my personal self administered sovereign savings account.

fantastic, someones offering guaranteed returns based on past performance, they must be doing fantastic business, do you have a link?

Low/negative interest rates, money printing, bank bailouts, SHTF across the middle east how much more do you want to see and the way it's going to continue.

Guaranteed returns! I have been saving in PMs since 2006 and only thing guaranteed is the erosion of fiat paper value.

Low/negative interest rates, money printing, bank bailouts, SHTF across the middle east how much more do you want to see and the way it's going to continue.

Guaranteed returns! I have been saving in PMs since 2006 and only thing guaranteed is the erosion of fiat paper value.

so you dont have a link then,

Damn it for a minute there i thought i was on easy street

Don't you see what has happened over the last decade and what is continuing to unravel.

If you want to stay with the paper stuff, that's fine. We will see what the situation is in a year's time, 3 or 5 years.

As soon as someone goes on about how savings are losings (or more usually "loosings"), I expect the conversation to go one of 2 ways, PMs or property.

I can't remember the IR on Gold though, perhaps someone can remind me?*

*I do have a gold holding myself, but I don't in any way see it as having any kind of guaranteed return.

As soon as someone goes on about how savings are losings (or more usually "loosings"), I expect the conversation to go one of 2 ways, PMs or property.

I can't remember the IR on Gold though, perhaps someone can remind me?*

*I do have a gold holding myself, but I don't in any way see it as having any kind of guaranteed return.

How has your gold holding done compared to interest rate return on your savings?

Also what is there which indicates it's time to switch from PMs back into fiat?

How has your gold holding done compared to interest rate return on your savings?

What guarantees are there that investors will get at least their investment back when buying gold ?

Tulips were a great investment once.

Edited by exiges

What guarantees are there that investors will get at least their investment back when buying gold ?

Tulips were a great investment once.

no guarantees but tulips were as you point out, a great investment once.

Not that history is a guarantee of anything but some things do at least have history on their side. Besides which, when it is those that pull the strings who own most of an asset it is usually a pretty safe bet that they are not going to let it become worthless.