House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mikhail Liebenstein

Us Losing The Information War To Rt, Cctv And Al Jazeera

http://www.infowars....ng-the-infowar/

This is quite an interesting perspective from Hilary Clinton, and she is almost certainly correct.

In my house we regularly watch Russia Today, CCTV, Al Jazeera and also NHK as the fact is that they are actually news channels. This in shameful contrast to most of the rubbish put out on the US and British news channels - mainly about celebrity chavs and who is shagging who.

Ironic really how people used to mock Pravda, when most of the UK news is now of even less journalistic repute. At least with Pravda you could read between the lines, with the BBC and Sky these days there aren't lines to read between.

Anyway, I am posting this as it seems to be yet more evidence of the US's economic influence diminishing. It could get interesting in the next 20 years if the majority of the UK population start relying on foreign news feeds.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Yep.

Been watching RT and AL J for the middle east news. Quite eye-opening to see real journalists and not some naff reporter plugging up and coming celeb shows on a sister channel....

Also - CNBC. What the heck is it with them shoving Jay Leno's show on around 10PM at night (UK). Just because the Wall St. bell sounds , doesn't mean the rest of the world goes home for tea. Baffling!?!? :unsure:

But another sign of US channels dumbed-down approach. :ph34r:

Check out this,

As Secretary of State Hillary Clinton gave her speech at George Washington University yesterday condemning governments that arrest protestors and do not allow free expression, 71-year-old Ray McGovern was grabbed from the audience in plain view of her by police and an unidentified official in plain clothes, brutalized and left bleeding in jail. She never paused speaking. When Secretary Clinton began her speech, Mr. McGovern remained standing silently in the audience and turned his back. Mr. McGovern, a veteran Army officer who also worked as a CIA analyst for 27 years, was wearing a Veterans for Peace t-shirt.

Blind-sided by security officers who pounced upon him, Mr. McGovern remarked, as he was hauled out the door, "So this is America?" Mr. McGovern is covered with bruises, lacerations and contusions inflicted in the assault.

Mr. McGovern is being represented by the Partnership for Civil Justice Fund (PCJF). "It is the ultimate definition of lip service that Secretary of State Clinton would be trumpeting the U.S. government's supposed concerns for free speech rights and this man would be simultaneously brutalized and arrested for engaging in a peaceful act of dissent at her speech," stated attorney Mara Verheyden-Hilliard of the PCJF.

Mr. McGovern now works for Tell the Word, a publishing arm of the ecumenical Church of the Saviour in the Adams Morgan neighborhood of Washington, D.C.

Your going to lose this infowar!

You only have to watch US TV News to realise what fluff it is.

I recall being out in California and watching a major US anchor ask another journalist who he worked for. He answered "the BBC" an she looked confused before arrogantly stating that she had never heard of it.

http://www.infowars....ng-the-infowar/

This is quite an interesting perspective from Hilary Clinton, and she is almost certainly correct.

In my house we regularly watch Russia Today, CCTV, Al Jazeera and also NHK as the fact is that they are actually news channels. This in shameful contrast to most of the rubbish put out on the US and British news channels - mainly about celebrity chavs and who is shagging who.

Ironic really how people used to mock Pravda, when most of the UK news is now of even less journalistic repute. At least with Pravda you could read between the lines, with the BBC and Sky these days there aren't lines to read between.

Anyway, I am posting this as it seems to be yet more evidence of the US's economic influence diminishing. It could get interesting in the next 20 years if the majority of the UK population start relying on foreign news feeds.

+1 I watch RT and Al J too. Just to see a bit of world news. The old Bolshevik Buy-to-let Corporation really has gone down the sh1tter. Having said that, I still rate their foreign correspondents on the 24HR channel. I haven't watched the main bulletins for years as they've become inane and completely dumbed down. I never touch Murdochvision so can't comment on that.

Edited by ZeroSumGame

Over here in the US, apart from celebrity drivel, the 24 hr cable news channels are obsessed with the day-to-day point scoring between the two main parties. I'm a news junkie and I would have gone mad by now without the internet. You only get international news when something massive hapens (eg Egypt). Jon Stewart routinely mocks CNN for only devoting a few mintues at a time, maybe once an hour, to actual important news, often cutting away saying "thanks for that report, that's all the time we have". You have 24 hours!! And correspondents all around the globe! I think this is only in the US though (CNN International does a much better job) - just shows how much of the US public is not interested in anything important or difficult to understand and how much these channels depend on ratings. That's why there has to be a place for publicly funded news organisations. Say what you will about the BBC, but BBC America is miles ahead of anything else here. Maybe that says more about the competition than it does about the BBC though.

Check out this,

As Secretary of State Hillary Clinton gave her speech at George Washington University yesterday condemning governments that arrest protestors and do not allow free expression, 71-year-old Ray McGovern was grabbed from the audience in plain view of her by police and an unidentified official in plain clothes, brutalized and left bleeding in jail. She never paused speaking. When Secretary Clinton began her speech, Mr. McGovern remained standing silently in the audience and turned his back. Mr. McGovern, a veteran Army officer who also worked as a CIA analyst for 27 years, was wearing a Veterans for Peace t-shirt.

Blind-sided by security officers who pounced upon him, Mr. McGovern remarked, as he was hauled out the door, "So this is America?" Mr. McGovern is covered with bruises, lacerations and contusions inflicted in the assault.

Mr. McGovern is being represented by the Partnership for Civil Justice Fund (PCJF). "It is the ultimate definition of lip service that Secretary of State Clinton would be trumpeting the U.S. government's supposed concerns for free speech rights and this man would be simultaneously brutalized and arrested for engaging in a peaceful act of dissent at her speech," stated attorney Mara Verheyden-Hilliard of the PCJF.

Mr. McGovern now works for Tell the Word, a publishing arm of the ecumenical Church of the Saviour in the Adams Morgan neighborhood of Washington, D.C.

Your going to lose this infowar!

Shocking! But don't expect the BBC (British Pravda) to report anything that may put the US in a bad light. I agree, RT and Al Jazeera are both excellent channels - I rely solely on these for my world news nowadays.

It's such a shame we can't get BBC World in this country (those who have seen it while overseas will know which channel I mean).

CNN was excellent for the coverage of the last US presidential election. These days they tend to spend far too much time promoting their other shows. It's much more style over substance. There have been a couple of female newsreaders on there who look like they haven't got a clue what they are talking about and have been randomly plucked from a kitchen in the Mid West (apologies if anyone finds that sexist!).

RT I am not so sure about. A while back they ran a report about how journalists in Georgia who criticised the government there were being falsely imprisoned. The implication being of course that such a situation would never occur over the border in Mother Russia. There, journalists critical of the regime are conveniently assasinated before any sham trials can take place.

Al Jazeera does seem to be going from strength to strength. Outside of the current crisis, their documentaries do an excellent job of illuminating the life in developing countries that is the reality for the majority of the world's population. They can over do the whole Middle East thing though, doing a half hour interview with some obscure government minister from Qatar. Having said that, BBC World could go ga ga over stories about Pakistan and India.

That's far more than my tuppence's worth.

No-one into Press TV from Iran...?

For the Japanaholics on HPC (and there seem to be a few out there), NHK World broadcasts into the UK too now. That has to be one of the dullest channels ever though IMPO.

No-one into Press TV from Iran...?

For the Japanaholics on HPC (and there seem to be a few out there), NHK World broadcasts into the UK too now. That has to be one of the dullest channels ever though IMPO.

I do like NHK , but yes it can be a bit repetitive with some of the shows/documentaries. But I like it as it reminds of times in Japan,

RT I am not so sure about. A while back they ran a report about how journalists in Georgia who criticised the government there were being falsely imprisoned. The implication being of course that such a situation would never occur over the border in Mother Russia. There, journalists critical of the regime are conveniently assasinated before any sham trials can take place.

Generally speaking, journalists getting offed is a fairly good indicator that they're doing their job

No risk of much happening to domestic British journalists then

In fairness to the Russian regime, quite a few of the jaw-dropping number of Russian journalists who've been liquidated in recent years probably ran foul of oligarchs and mafia bosses rather than the government

Those would be the same kind of Russian oligarchs who've been buying up and getting their rear ends royally kissed by the British media

And whilst the oligarch-friendly British media regularly feature innuendo that the Russian government is bumping off journalists, I don't recall the BBC having much to say about the long list of journalists killed by 'friendly' fire and car accidents in Iraq

Edited by Charlton Peston