House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Brits Fleeing U K Make U S Favourite Destination

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Expat-guide-USA-financial-tele-2816363514.html?x=0

11:48, Thursday 3 March 2011
In our latest expat guide, Alison Steed examines moving to the United States.
The total number of Britons emigrating in 2009 fell significantly, from 427,000 in 2008, to 368,000, according to official statistics. However, nearly 30,000 made their way over to the
US, making it one of the most popular destinations for British expats in the world
America is vast, and with such a variety of climates and cultures in a single country it really can offer something for everyone. However, Britons have no automatic right to live there, unlike in Europe (Chicago Options: ^REURTRUSD - news) , so there is plenty of work to do before you go to ensure you comply with the relevant rules and laws, many of which change from state to state.
This guide will help you through the financial maze of what you need to do to make your move out to America a success.
BEFORE YOU GO...

Cheap houses (very cheap), German cars for 20% less than here, great for outdoorsy stuff, good Unis and high paid jobs.

Downside: Hard for some Brits to adapt to samey Germanic culture, weather bad everywhere except Southern California, horrendous medical costs if you don't have work related coverage, don't drive through the ghettos of big cities--other than that crime not much worse than Chav infested Britain.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Expat-guide-USA-financial-tele-2816363514.html?x=0

The total number of Britons emigrating in 2009 fell significantly, from 427,000 in 2008, to 368,000, according to official statistics. However, nearly 30,000 made their way over to the
US, making it one of the most popular destinations for British expats in the world
America is vast, and with such a variety of climates and cultures in a single country it really can offer something for everyone. However, Britons have no automatic right to live there, unlike in Europe (Chicago Options: ^REURTRUSD - news) , so there is plenty of work to do before you go to ensure you comply with the relevant rules and laws, many of which change from state to state.
This guide will help you through the financial maze of what you need to do to make your move out to America a success.
BEFORE YOU GO...

Cheap houses (very cheap), German cars for 20% less than here, great for outdoorsy stuff, good Unis and high paid jobs.

Downside: Hard for some Brits to adapt to samey Germanic culture, weather bad everywhere except Southern California, horrendous medical costs if you don't have work related coverage, don't drive through the ghettos of big cities--other than that crime not much worse than Chav infested Britain.

But isn't it also really hard to get a Green Card?

I've often thought that about the US, good to see I'm not alone!

BEFORE YOU GO...

Some high paid jobs. My son went over to the USA - nary a sniff of a job, at least not when they learned he was a Brit. Too much paperwork was the given reason. Welcoming arms there were none, so he came back

And yes he found out its very scary if you fall ill over there without insurance.

I would move back to the US if it wasn't for the too many horror stories I have heard about medical care.

Pretty sure i'll move to the US at some point in the next 5 years if i can.

Not to escape the UK, but the EU.

Have any of you guys driven to Philadelphia? To say I had the shock of my life would be an understatement. Before you reached the centre I drove through a vast rundown neighbourhood where everyone was black, children were running about barefoot and adults were sitting on steps (the temp was over 100 and very humid) - if a martian had come down from space they'd have said you were in Africa not 'the richest nation on earth'.

RB inadevertently put his finger on it - if you're wealthy the US is great, if not forget it. Give me France or Germany any day of the week. Oh and the food is plentiful but generally rubbish processed stuff which is why there's such an obesity problem.

Guest UK Debt Slave

But isn't it also really hard to get a Green Card?

I'm married to a US citizen and I STILL can't get in

Guest UK Debt Slave

I would move back to the US if it wasn't for the too many horror stories I have heard about medical care.

Healthcare situation in the US is barbaric.

I know because my wife needs a replacement knee and she doesn't have health insurance.

Tough zhit!

That's their attitude!

I know because my wife needs a replacement knee and she doesn't have health insurance.

Tough zhit!

That's their attitude!

She should have got health insurance. Pretty sure the old "your ******ed without health insuarnce" thing is fairly widely known amongst Americans.

The whole West coast has a better climate than Britain. The summers are far more consistent and the winters are warmer unless you are at elevation.

I have experienced less crime here than in West Sussex. Britain is filthy in comparison. Crawley might as well be a third-world from my experiences. It's marginally better than Croydon, which is a big toilet.

If you pick the right location in the USA then life might be better. Pick the wrong location and you'll be miserable. Come to Seattle ;)

Tough zhit!

That's their attitude!

Why doesn't your wife have health insurance?

I'm married to a US citizen and I STILL can't get in

I'm about to be, and we've now pretty much decided that her moving here is the better bet, the main reason being the difficulty I would face getting a visa.

She should have got health insurance. Pretty sure the old "your ******ed without health insuarnce" thing is fairly widely known amongst Americans.

I think some people don't budget for it. Some can't afford it because of the economy. If you're penniless the government pays for you in Washington State. Typically if you can get sponsored to work your job will include the cover for you and your family.

I'm about to be, and we've now pretty much decided that her moving here is the better bet, the main reason being the difficulty I would face getting a visa.

Why? The K1 visa process is probably the easiest route.

Do you have a criminal record or a disease stopping you? Is your wife not able to support you in America? There has to be a major reason.

Edited by Xurbia

Downside: Hard for some Brits to adapt to samey Germanic culture, weather bad everywhere except Southern California,...

Have you been to America ?, I've spent 14 months around the whole place including Canada and what you are saying doesn't sound right.

I seem to remember you spent a long time over there, maybe in one or two places?

Maybe you flew over the rest of the USA?

Edited by northwestsmith2

Have you been to America ?, I've spent 14 months around the whole place including Canada and what you are saying doesn't sound right.

I seem to remember you spent a long time over there, maybe in one or two places?

Maybe you flew over the rest of the USA?

:lol:

When I'm basking in sunshine from June to September it's usually p*ssing down in England.

We've only had a few days of snow and temperatures below freezing. I'm happy with the climate.

I am 100% convinced there is a secret pact to stop Brits moving en masse to the US - it is easier for just about any other nationality to get into the US than Brits.

Health insurance - that is the bigie. Many Americans find that the insurance companies take their premiums for years an then use the slightest excuse to wriggle out of paying. Rather go to Europe IMPO.

Why? The K1 visa process is probably the easiest route.

Do you have a criminal record or a disease stopping you? Is your wife not able to support you in America? There has to be a major reason.

She can get a job more or less anywhere (she's a doctor, as in of medicine), whereas as a university lecturer in modern European history, jobs that I can do don't exactly grow on trees; especially in Fairbanks, AK! She would be able to support me if push came to shove, but what's the point of us being in a situation where I would be unable to get work that I'm qualified for with us both having to live on one income if we probably don't have to?

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri

I am 100% convinced there is a secret pact to stop Brits moving en masse to the US - it is easier for just about any other nationality to get into the US than Brits.

Health insurance - that is the bigie. Many Americans find that the insurance companies take their premiums for years an then use the slightest excuse to wriggle out of paying. Rather go to Europe IMPO.

The NHS also wiggle out of paying and don't treat you for 6 months unless you pay. What's the difference?

I've had experience dealing with the Aetna claims department over here. It was tedious because the claim was for physio. I had about $4,000 worth. They paid up eventually. When I fractured my back I was X-rayed within 20minutes of arriving in A&E. There are no waiting times. I paid about $30 for the copay and that was it. You get what you pay for. Petrol is only $3.50 a US Gallon so there are no excuses for not buying some form of cover.

Britain should adopt a copay to stop people going to the doctors for a chat. New Zealand does this and their waiting rooms were fairly empty too.

She can get a job more or less anywhere (she's a doctor, as in of medicine), whereas as a university lecturer in modern European history, jobs that I can do don't exactly grow on trees; especially in Fairbanks, AK! She would be able to support me if push came to shove, but what's the point of us being in a situation where I would be unable to get work that I'm qualified for as us both having to live on one income if we probably don't have to?

She can sponsor your visa application. I believe you take the K1 option. You don't need a job. The American citizen needs to swear they will look after you and that you will not burden the country i.e. they need means to support you.

Unless you have a criminal record or some disease you will get in. I suggest you start the process if you want to go.

Edited by Xurbia

> The NHS also wiggle out of paying and don't treat you for 6 months unless you pay. What's the difference?

Free healthcare at the point of need, that's what I and all my family have experienced. Not perfect and some waste is inevitable. Doesn't matter how much money you do or don't have and you have the option to pay private if you need to. Don't believe US press propaganda, our system is far better, fair and more secure. The older you get the more important you'll find it.

> The NHS also wiggle out of paying and don't treat you for 6 months unless you pay. What's the difference?

Free healthcare at the point of need, that's what I and all my family have experienced. Not perfect and some waste is inevitable. Doesn't matter how much money you do or don't have and you have the option to pay private if you need to. Don't believe US press propaganda, our system is far better, fair and more secure. The older you get the more important you'll find it.

If you are penniless then I agree the NHS is a good thing. If you need urgent but non-emergency treatment the NHS is awful. Most working people just want to get some treatment and get back to work. That is not what happens in reality. On every occasion I needed treatment on the NHS I was told to either wait 6 months or pay to go private. That is exactly why you need BUPA private health cover in Britain.

Edited by Xurbia