House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

or in excess of

Installing Electric Shower Yourself

I installed a new triton shower 4 months ago. Then one of the heating elements failed. Triton engineer turned up, took sharp intake of breath,and said that he would not be repairing shower. The reason was, because i had drilled a 1cm hole in back of plastic backplate to take supply cable, rather than chisel off tiles etc, and had not used the gap provided for the cable. He admitted there were no safety issues involved,but because i had not followed the installation instructions to the letter, i had made the guarantee void.So now i still have no shower, and a £68 call out fee to pay. He did say if i rectify the "fault" he would return and fix it. I will not do this, as he could find some other "fault", so i will probably buy and install another shower and put this down to experience. Truth is, they must love it when they know householder has carried out installation,because they can pull this stunt every time.Rip off Britain is alive and well. Beware.

I installed a new triton shower 4 months ago. Then one of the heating elements failed. Triton engineer turned up, took sharp intake of breath,and said that he would not be repairing shower. The reason was, because i had drilled a 1cm hole in back of plastic backplate to take supply cable, rather than chisel off tiles etc, and had not used the gap provided for the cable. He admitted there were no safety issues involved,but because i had not followed the installation instructions to the letter, i had made the guarantee void.So now i still have no shower, and a £68 call out fee to pay. He did say if i rectify the "fault" he would return and fix it. I will not do this, as he could find some other "fault", so i will probably buy and install another shower and put this down to experience. Truth is, they must love it when they know householder has carried out installation,because they can pull this stunt every time.Rip off Britain is alive and well. Beware.

You didnt pay the call out fee did you?

sFun_duh2.gif

Bathroom is part p...

Have they done anyone for installing a shower and not being part p yet?

So long as the electrical circuit is not a new installation or modified then fitting a shower to an existing shower circuit does not come under part p.

There is a vast amount of work that does not come under part p.

Part p is a joke that cant cant be policed and has caused far more harm than good.

So long as the electrical circuit is not a new installation or modified then fitting a shower to an existing shower circuit does not come under part p.

There is a vast amount of work that does not come under part p.

Part p is a joke that cant cant be policed and has caused far more harm than good.

+1, if a job is done following the rules how are they going to tell? Anything done to the rules can easily be "legitimised" by a test cert.

It also leaves a fair few people in the same situation as me:

Able to design and sign off a large installation (i.e. power station) but technically unable to do certain bits of electrical work (DIY) in your own home because you haven't done C&G etc.

There are a fair number of sparkies out there who I don't trust just that much because they know how to tick the box but not why, (often leading to some silly stuff) neither do they know BS7671 any where as well as they should do.

+1, if a job is done following the rules how are they going to tell? Anything done to the rules can easily be "legitimised" by a test cert.

Able to design and sign off a large installation (i.e. power station) but technically unable to do certain bits of electrical work (DIY) in your own home because you haven't done C&G etc.

There are a fair number of sparkies out there who I don't trust just that much because they know how to tick the box but not why, (often leading to some silly stuff) neither do they know BS7671 any where as well as they should do.

You can do any work that you want because you are competent, all that you have to do is inform building control of what you are doing then have them inspect it once complete. Obviously you have to know the current regs to be compliant.

Alternately, you can do what everyone else is doing, complete the work then have someone registered inspect and certify it. Far from what was supposed to happen but there it is.

Daft thing is that to be part p registered you do not even have to have cg2391 (inspection and testing) which is required to test other electrical installations and produce inspection certs :lol: Mickey mouse would have walked away from the part p planning group :D

You can do any work that you want because you are competent, all that you have to do is inform building control of what you are doing then have them inspect it once complete. Obviously you have to know the current regs to be compliant.

Alternately, you can do what everyone else is doing, complete the work then have someone registered inspect and certify it. Far from what was supposed to happen but there it is.

Daft thing is that to be part p registered you do not even have to have cg2391 (inspection and testing) which is required to test other electrical installations and produce inspection certs :lol: Mickey mouse would have walked away from the part p planning group :D

I was trying to highlight why the situation is so silly - I know the ways round it. Hence my comment that it could easily be legitimised by a test cert - it is far easier than dealing with BC or any other option. Well actually the easiest option is doing nothing...

It all came about because of a dodgy wiring in the flat of an MP's daughter so so very much a political rather than practical fix!

You didnt pay the call out fee did you?

I haven`t yet. The cheeky sods sent me an invoice by email to download and pay postage as well. There is also a veiled threat, that late payment will incur a £30 surcharge.Don`t know where i stand with it though.

sFun_duh2.gif

I would argue that the guarantee and parts warranty is not voided by the installation.

That you are not paying a callout fee for an engineer that failed to do anything. Did you know upfront that there was a call out fee?

That the item is faulty and still has a manufacturers warranty on the failed parts regardless of how it was installed and that if he wont fit it then you want to be supplied a new element.

or that you will return the item in it's entirety for a replacement.

Tell them that nothing will be paid until you have a working shower since it is their goods that have failed.

You can probably get the parts to do it for £50 if you know enough to work it out.

I would argue that the guarantee and parts warranty is not voided by the installation.

That you are not paying a callout fee for an engineer that failed to do anything. Did you know upfront that there was a call out fee?

That the item is faulty and still has a manufacturers warranty on the failed parts regardless of how it was installed and that if he wont fit it then you want to be supplied a new element.

or that you will return the item in it's entirety for a replacement.

Tell them that nothing will be paid until you have a working shower since it is their goods that have failed.

You can probably get the parts to do it for £50 if you know enough to work it out.

There would not have been a callout fee if he had repaired it, as it was still under warranty. What Triton are trying to say, is that it was "incorrectly" installed, therefore i wasted engineers time. There was nothing in instructions to say do not drill backplate to enter cable. It`s a scam. They are interpreting their terms and conditions, to suit them. It is not a safety issue, therefore he should have repaired it. I would like nothing more than to tell them to go swivel for the £68, but it could escalate. May try trading standards tomorrow.

There would not have been a callout fee if he had repaired it, as it was still under warranty. What Triton are trying to say, is that it was "incorrectly" installed, therefore i wasted engineers time. There was nothing in instructions to say do not drill backplate to enter cable. It`s a scam. They are interpreting their terms and conditions, to suit them. It is not a safety issue, therefore he should have repaired it. I would like nothing more than to tell them to go swivel for the £68, but it could escalate. May try trading standards tomorrow.

They will never formally chase you for £68. Not worth it.

I got fooked off with Orange's crap expensive internet service and simply stopped paying and using their service. They send periodic threatening letters for payment for 3 months 'service' which just get filled :rolleyes:

I was trying to highlight why the situation is so silly - I know the ways round it. Hence my comment that it could easily be legitimised by a test cert - it is far easier than dealing with BC or any other option. Well actually the easiest option is doing nothing...

It all came about because of a dodgy wiring in the flat of an MP's daughter so so very much a political rather than practical fix!

From my recollection the only thing dodgy about it was that a cable ran diagonally down a kitchen wall when best practice is to run cables horizontally or vertically. Was fine until partner of said MP's daughter drilled a hole to put up a spice rack without checking with a metal detector first and drilled straight through the cable. IMHO he was as much to blame (or perhaps more so) than whoever installed the wiring in the first place.

They would have been better off bringing the installation of spice racks by MPs son-in-laws within the scope of the building regs than electrical wiring.

I wouldnt worry, let them escalate the rude emails and stand firm. Their shower has failed, their equipment is defective well within the warranty period. Tell them to send you an element and what they save in labour they can take off their ridiculous call out scam.

I suppose they put that rule in place coz majority of diy'ers are nonread/prior research 'loonies' who will fit a replacement 10.5kw (coz it woz on sale) for an old 8kw not realising the cable/fusebox connection is not suitable to take that amount of power on.

I suppose they put that rule in place coz majority of diy'ers are nonread/prior research 'loonies' who will fit a replacement 10.5kw (coz it woz on sale) for an old 8kw not realising the cable/fusebox connection is not suitable to take that amount of power on.

in spite of what may be said that really doesnt matter.

The cable is protected by the breaker in your consumer unit.

The cable is the only real risk and concern.

If a wrong shower tries to draw too much current on the circuit that was installed then the breaker trips to protect the cable and you get a clod shower instead of a house fire.

Cold showers are vastly more common than hot cables, people tend to make fewer mistakes with cable sizes and breakers becaus those dealing with them at the point of the board know what they are doing.