House Price Crash Forum
Si1

Is There Still A Prejudice Against Renters?

will you still be passed over for promotion and disrespected for your property views, aka the 'false halo' effect?

experience of this?

will you still be passed over for promotion and disrespected for your property views, aka the 'false halo' effect?

experience of this?

My boss is heavily into property (both through work and personal investments).

When he asks if I have bought yet and I tell him I am still renting you can tell he thinks I am absolutely crackers. Mind, I have a big printout stuck up on my desk of the classic bubble graph which probably doesn't help.

Well, in my personal experience arranging rental viewings is very much still a joke.

I had 5 viewings arranged for a Saturday once. Only 1 of them went ahead. The others all got cancelled 5 mins before they were going to happen, or the Landlords just didn't turn up - got the impression they were BTL idiots. If they aren't there so show tenants around they obviously don't care if its empty.

Well, in my personal experience arranging rental viewings is very much still a joke.

I had 5 viewings arranged for a Saturday once. Only 1 of them went ahead. The others all got cancelled 5 mins before they were going to happen, or the Landlords just didn't turn up - got the impression they were BTL idiots. If they aren't there so show tenants around they obviously don't care if its empty.

and weren't around to see who it was that smashed their window in out of despair from yet another wasted journey and time.

who cares anymore. I'd rather be a renter in the current climate than having some jumped up property owner looking down on me. If your working in such a stiff atmosphere where material wealth is important can't you just say you own - how are they going to know (other than requests for employer references that you can easily get around).

edit: when I worked in banking you got paid according to how you dressed. I wore expensive suits and earned £20k a year more than my equivalent counterparts purely down to my attitude. My boss refused to walk on the wrong side of Cheapside in case somebody saw him walk past a Next and thought that he'd come out of it.

Edited by tomposh101

Not sure about prejudice against renters, but of all the seven sins, i hate pride the most. Looking on a dating website the other day, about a third of all profiles seem to mention 'i own my own home and am proud of that achievement'

WTF?

Why would you be proud about 'owning' something the majority of the population have also achieved.

Be proud about splitting the atom, or inventing a teleportation device or something. But owning a home? Whats to be 'proud' about?

Not sure about prejudice against renters, but of all the seven sins, i hate pride the most. Looking on a dating website the other day, about a third of all profiles seem to mention 'i own my own home and am proud of that achievement'

WTF?

Why would you be proud about 'owning' something the majority of the population have also achieved.

Be proud about splitting the atom, or inventing a teleportation device or something. But owning a home? Whats to be 'proud' about?

There may be a few HPCers proud of having the cash in the bank to buy outright after the crash. Identical form of pride when you think about it.

I am proud to rent and tell anybody who will listen (or not). Rather than linking with low-life dross, I get the 100 yard stare, and the "I wish" look.

I like you ;)

There may be a few HPCers proud of having the cash in the bank to buy outright after the crash. Identical form of pride when you think about it.

Pride is a sin though.

Im not proud about having 'wealth' in things other than housing, its just a fact, derived from what i consider to be logic. I would never mention my financial situation in a conversation, but people seem to waffle on about their house. Its insane. Some of them seem to love their home more than their children. ITS A PILE OF BRICKS FOR GODS SAKE.

Pride is a sin though.

Im not proud about having 'wealth' in things other than housing, its just a fact, derived from what i consider to be logic. I would never mention my financial situation in a conversation, but people seem to waffle on about their house. Its insane. Some of them seem to love their home more than their children. ITS A PILE OF BRICKS FOR GODS SAKE.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I agree with all that you say.

Sadly my point above remains true. Surely you've noticed such HPCers?

My boss is heavily into property (both through work and personal investments).

When he asks if I have bought yet and I tell him I am still renting you can tell he thinks I am absolutely crackers. Mind, I have a big printout stuck up on my desk of the classic bubble graph which probably doesn't help.

ROFL :lol:

I think you may have misunderstood me. I agree with all that you say.

Sadly my point above remains true. Surely you've noticed such HPCers?

Ive noticed a few people who like to brag about their gold, i guess. Dont know whether they would do this in person!

And you can bet that the only people saying that have huge mortgages so they're not really home 'owners'.

edit: when I worked in banking you got paid according to how you dressed. I wore expensive suits and earned £20k a year more than my equivalent counterparts purely down to my attitude. My boss refused to walk on the wrong side of Cheapside in case somebody saw him walk past a Next and thought that he'd come out of it.

:lol::lol::lol:

For the moment I think it's still in the British psyche. When people ask if I've bought yet I still occasionally find myself saying "no I'm only renting" before quickly correcting myself.

Looking on a dating website the other day, about a third of all profiles seem to mention 'i own my own home

Never mind what all us angry keyboard warriors think, the fact is that most women value owner occupation. So if you want to spend your life, and intermingle your genes, with a desirable woman, then you'd better get with the house owning programme.

Daft I know, but so are a peacock's tail feathers.

Never mind what all us angry keyboard warriors think, the fact is that most women value owner occupation. So if you want to spend your life, and intermingle your genes, with a desirable woman, then you'd better get with the house owning programme.

I had a thought of HPCers, well the men anyway, being the ones f***ing the married women silly while their great catch owner occupying husbands are slaving long hours to pay the mortgage.

As an employer, a homeowner can be more attractive because they are less mobile, and therefore less able to take up other employers offers across the country. Add to that the fact that a mortgage owner has a debt they HAVE to service, which makes it less likely they will down tools if treated badly.

anyway, that's how I see it with my cynics hat on.

:ph34r:

I beg to differ.....why does the man require to own when the women does, one house is plenty enough for both.

Going back to renting......not a problem, it is not what you own but what you are capable of owning if you want to....better to rent and have than buy and have not. ;)

I beg to differ.....why does the man require to own when the women does, one house is plenty enough for both.

Going back to renting......not a problem, it is not what you own but what you are capable of owning if you want to....better to rent and have than buy and have not. ;)

reminds me of a nature program about penguins...the males lived on a stoney beach, and to attract females theyd pile up stones....the bigger the pile, the more sexy they were.

What a male home owner needs as well as a big pile, is a formal dinner suit and bow tie....to look like a penguin.

reminds me of a nature program about penguins...the males lived on a stoney beach, and to attract females theyd pile up stones....the bigger the pile, the more sexy they were.

What a male home owner needs as well as a big pile, is a formal dinner suit and bow tie....to look like a penguin.

......ah, but the best penguins of the lot don't require a pile or a false front.... ;)

Sadly I have got to the point that my rent > equivalent mortgage sohave less spending money and face the dilemma about whether to buy or not.

Of course I will never buy at full price , am aiming for at least 20% off

Edited by luvadealme

Sadly I have got to the point that my rent > equivalent mortgage sohave less spending money and face the dilemma about whether to buy or not.

Of course I will never buy at full price , am aiming for at least 20% off

How badly do you want to buy and why?.......could you rent something smaller or share to enable you to save a bigger deposit, house prices will not be going anywhere fast, soon more sellers who have/want to sell will accept lower offers, they will start to panic when their house is still on the market after six months or more, they will cave in to accepting lower offers believe me.....

Most of us have to sacrifice certain things if we want something badly enough....no gain without some pain unfortunately. ;)