House Price Crash Forum
Dave Spart

Telegraph : Gordon Brown 'blocked Knighthood' For Steve Jobs

Gordon Brown really knew how to woo the electorate, didn't he? :lol:

The headline to this story could have read "One of world's least admired leaders snubs one of world's most admired"

Apparently the knighthood was snubbed because Jobs had previously declined to appear at a Labour Party conference. What a glaring example of how bent the honours system must be.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/steve-jobs/8354215/Gordon-Brown-blocked-knighthood-for-Steve-Jobs.html

By Christopher Williams, Technology Correspondent 10:18AM GMT 01 Mar 2011 334 Comments

The then-Prime Minister refused to knight Mr Jobs in 2009 because he turned down an invitation to speak at the Labour Party conference, a former senior Labour MP said.

Mr Jobs was put forward for the honour by the MP for services to technology. Apple is credited with revolutionising the industry in recent years with its iPhone and iPad devices, which have unleashed a boom in mobile internet usage.

The former MP, who left Parliament at the last election, said: “Apple has been the only major global company to create stunning consumer products because it has always taken design as the key component of everything it has produced.

“No other CEO has consistently shown such a commitment.”

Apple was aware of the proposal, he said, and it reached the final stages of approval, but was rejected by Downing Street.

Mr Jobs was snubbed despite the 2005 award of an honorary knighthood to Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft and a long-term rival. His friend Bono, the U2 front man, who collaborated with Apple on a special charity edition iPod, is also an honorary KBE.

The former MP was told by Downing Street that the decision was related to a failed attempt to attract Mr Jobs to Labour’s annual conference. Given his status as a superstar of business and technology, such an appearance would have been viewed as a coup for Mr Brown.

A spokeswoman for the former Prime Minister said today: "Mr Brown did not block a knighthood for Steve Jobs".

She declined to discuss the incident further.

Mr Jobs, 55, is currently on medical leave and was recently pictured leaving a Silicon Valley cancer clinic. Industry watchers do not expect him to appear at the launch of the second iteration of the iPad, which is scheduled for this Wednesday in San Francisco.

Edited by Dave Spart

Steve Jobs has done a lot of dodgey things in his life as well you know.

He ripped off one of his best friends when apple was starting out.

He denied that he was the father to his illegitimate daughter for years so that he did not need to pay child support.

And for some reason, no one cares that he was able to use his money and power to secure a new liver for his body.

So yeah, stand up guy that deserves a knighthood.

Read more about the tosser here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

I thought only British citizens and citizens of the commonwealth could be knighted.

I'm not really up on this sort of thing though.

Didn't that wise man Brown ( :rolleyes: ) give Alan Greenspan a knighthood for services to humanity???

A 7.62mm sleeping tablet would have been more popular.......

The headline to this story could have read "One of world's least admired leaders snubs one of world's most admired"

Apparently the knighthood was snubbed because Jobs had previously declined to appear at a Labour Party conference. What a glaring example of how bent the honours system must be.

The guy's not a Brit.

Give me one good reason why he should receive a reward RESERVED for Brits?

tim

I fail to see any reason why Steve Jobs deserves a knighthood so I'm quite happy for him not to have got one. Why he didn't really doesn't matter to me.

Honours system corrupt - yes always has been and will be. That is its primary function in the British way of life.

Whose the failed, bitter MP and source of the so-called leak, he sounds very OTT about Apple, is he angling for some consultancy or something? They mention Gates and Bono but I presume they got awarded purely for their charitable work in the third world, despite Windows 3.1 and The Unforgettable Fire both being excellent.

What sort of idiot would consider Steve Jobs for a knighthood? Why would it be a vote winner?

He's a salesman, living off the inventiveness of others. What made Apple successful wasn't Jobs, it was the engineer who designed the Apple 1 and 2.

Steve Jobs has done a lot of dodgey things in his life as well you know.

He ripped off one of his best friends when apple was starting out.

He denied that he was the father to his illegitimate daughter for years so that he did not need to pay child support.

And for some reason, no one cares that he was able to use his money and power to secure a new liver for his body.

So yeah, stand up guy that deserves a knighthood.

Read more about the tosser here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

Christ, maybe they should have made him a lord instead

Mr Jobs was snubbed despite the 2005 award of an honorary knighthood to Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft and a long-term rival. His friend Bono, the U2 front man, who collaborated with Apple on a special charity edition iPod, is also an honorary KBE.

col·lab·o·rate verb \kə-ˈla-bə-ˌrāt\ - From the Latin collaborare - to labour together

I doubt Bono is familiar with that kind of labour.

Curious to know what Mr. Jobs has ever done for Britain and its people that the govt would even think about offering a knighthood. :blink:

Maybe because Hollywood gives our actors so many Oscars we feel like we have to reciprocate in some way? :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph...Steve-Jobs.html

When Multi-millionaire Blair left Downing Street - (amongst about a dozen watches (packrat or magpie?) and other items) he stole two signed guitars that "belonged to the people" of the UK.

The last guitar sold - signed by the bono bloke, went for just under £100,000 (cost of a bent nithood?)

Edited by erranta

The guy's not a Brit.

Give me one good reason why he should receive a reward RESERVED for Brits?

It's not reserved exclusively for Brits, but it is reserved for people who have made a specific and meaningful contribution to Britain and/or the British. I can't see how Jobs qualifies. He is a highly successful business leader whose products are used extensively in Britain - but they also are in lots of other countries, and so I can't see how that contribution is in any way specific. He hasn't given money or support to British charities, cultural institutions or interests above those of other countries (in the way that, say, Getty II did), he hasn't lived in Britain ... in short, I agree in that the question is not so much why Brown blocked the proposal as to why it was ever proposed in the first place. NuLab's inherent obsession with celebrity would be my best guess.

It's not reserved exclusively for Brits, but it is reserved for people who have made a specific and meaningful contribution to Britain and/or the British. I can't see how Jobs qualifies. He is a highly successful business leader whose products are used extensively in Britain - but they also are in lots of other countries, and so I can't see how that contribution is in any way specific. He hasn't given money or support to British charities, cultural institutions or interests above those of other countries (in the way that, say, Getty II did), he hasn't lived in Britain ... in short, I agree in that the question is not so much why Brown blocked the proposal as to why it was ever proposed in the first place. NuLab's inherent obsession with celebrity would be my best guess.

I did read somewhere that some of the components in iphones were made in Cambridge. But that is stretching it a bit.. As you suggest, the headline should really be "Gordon Brown tried (and failed) to bribe Jobs into supporting Labour by offering knighthood" or "Jobs refused to be bribed into supporting Labour" rather than "Gordon Brown blocked Jobs' knighthood etc".

He's a salesman, living off the inventiveness of others. What made Apple successful wasn't Jobs, it was the engineer who designed the Apple 1 and 2.

While I'm no fan of the Holy One, Apple's success today has nothing to do with the Apple I and II. Left without Jobs (i.e. the period 1985-1998) Apple went into a long, drawn out decline. I was a Mac owner in those days and remember well the Microsoft bailout. Things were dire, market share was declining, you certainly couldn't go into PC World and buy a Mac. Or if they did have some, they were off in a neglected corner somewhere.

The return of Jobs saw a turnaround in Apple's computer fortunes, their capturing of the MP3 player market, the reinvention of the smartphone (surely you must have noticed how all the other smartphones have started to resemble the iPhone) as well as creating a market for tablets that even I don't understand.

Yes, there were tablet PCs before the iPad, but nobody bought the sods! What the f**k use is that?

Yes, some smartphones had advanced features before the iPhone. But did they redefine the market? No. Does anyone remember them? No.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I don't own a single piece of Apple kit, but I do have a memory. Something happened to Apple in 1998 that turned the company around. Now was it getting in a feng shui consultant, removing an old Indian curse on the Cupertino offices, the return of Steve Jobs or, did it all "just happen". No reason, just... random coincidence.

While I'm no fan of the Holy One, Apple's success today has nothing to do with the Apple I and II. Left without Jobs (i.e. the period 1985-1998) Apple went into a long, drawn out decline. I was a Mac owner in those days and remember well the Microsoft bailout. Things were dire, market share was declining, you certainly couldn't go into PC World and buy a Mac. Or if they did have some, they were off in a neglected corner somewhere.

The return of Jobs saw a turnaround in Apple's computer fortunes, their capturing of the MP3 player market, the reinvention of the smartphone (surely you must have noticed how all the other smartphones have started to resemble the iPhone) as well as creating a market for tablets that even I don't understand.

Yes, there were tablet PCs before the iPad, but nobody bought the sods! What the f**k use is that?

Yes, some smartphones had advanced features before the iPhone. But did they redefine the market? No. Does anyone remember them? No.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I don't own a single piece of Apple kit, but I do have a memory. Something happened to Apple in 1998 that turned the company around. Now was it getting in a feng shui consultant, removing an old Indian curse on the Cupertino offices, the return of Steve Jobs or, did it all "just happen". No reason, just... random coincidence.

Apple & blackberry!

There is a connection between 'Black-berries' and 'Brambles'! :D

Have you noticed how all IT the companies have evolved to "the dark side" :o

All their special ultra fast new equipment is called 'Black' edition

Hard drives, cpus, memory, etc etc

Edited by erranta

I'd have blocked him for being a friend of Bono.

I'm suprised gordon didn't give him an award. Apple must be responsible for a huge chunk of the debt out there. Creating that idiot-mentality that people have to upgrade as soon as a new one comes out.

Have you noticed how all IT the companies have evolved to "the dark side" :o

All their special ultra fast new equipment is called 'Black' edition

Hard drives, cpus, memory, etc etc

So what do you think of the non-appearance of the near-mythical White iPhone 4?