House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
W1zard

Buying The Retirement Home First?

Would there be any merit in giving up on the notion of buying an ovepriced house in the UK and instead looking at buying a retirement home abroad first? When you look at homes in Florida or Vegas selling for post bubble prices at levels which wouldnt stretch to a two bed flat in the UK, I cannot help but feel the money and the time would be better spent buying in a fair priced market instead?

Would there be any merit in giving up on the notion of buying an ovepriced house in the UK and instead looking at buying a retirement home abroad first? When you look at homes in Florida or Vegas selling for post bubble prices at levels which wouldnt stretch to a two bed flat in the UK, I cannot help but feel the money and the time would be better spent buying in a fair priced market instead?

If you want to live in the US, you'd better have perfect teeth and perfect health right up until the day you die.

All the money you save on a house will go on health costs otherwise.

It all depends on what your goals are. Will you or family members live there now? Will you actually use it as a vacation home? Will you rent it out until you retire? How do you know what is fairly priced--will it the local market go down further? You need to have answers to these questions before you go any further. I've been playing in the US market for over 30 years and I think I just met the first honest real estate agent last year. By dishonest, I don't mean they will take your money and run like Bernie Madoff (although some will), I just mean that they will bend the truth in the right direction to make the sale and get the commission.

How easy is it for a non-resident to obtain a gun licence and firearms in the US?

Might prove handy to protect ones investment when civil unrest finally breaks out.

Yes, some Americans believe that civil unrest will break out in the future, but this belief has been circulating for quite some time. I am beginning to think it won't happen because Barak and Ben will keep interest rates low and continue to print dollars like they are going out of style until the dollar really does go out of style.

Whether one can get a gun permit depends on which state one lives in. In states where stupid liberal democrats are in control, no one will get a gun permit. Florida and Texas are pretty lenient when it comes to guns and permits.

Edited by james7