House Price Crash Forum

Are The Cuts Really Necessary?

HOLA441

Military and police cuts are the most baffling of them all. Given the domestic unrest that is sure to come the police will need to be on side, and when the resource/oil wars start.....

I like to think the corporate and political elites in the UK are going to come a cropper Arab style by severely slashing their first (police) and second (military) lines of defence, alienating the heaviest part of their internal security, just leaving their personal entourages that can be swept aside by hundreds of thousand strong angry crowds with relative ease. More deluded than Quadafi and Mubarak.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Inevitably there have to be some cuts because of the recklessness of the banks, the stupidity of Gordon Brown's government and possibly because of underlying cyclical economics as well.

But we now seem to have a government that's relishing making cuts because of its high-Tory ideology, and they've been handed the perfect pretext by Labour's legacy. And all this is made possible by the Lib Dems abandoning the wishes of their voters to facilitate the implementation of undiluted Tory policies.

People affected by the cuts or who feel they too severe or plain wrong have every right to protest. In the end there might not be enough money to save a local library or a subsidised bus route, but people have every right to try and save such services.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

HOLA443

Inevitably there have to be some cuts because of the recklessness of the banks, the stupidity of Gordon Brown's government and possibly because of underlying cyclical economics as well.

But we now seem to have a government that's relishing making cuts because of its high-Tory ideology, and they've been handed the perfect pretext by Labour's legacy. And all this is made possible by the Lib Dems abandoning the wishes of their voters to facilitate the implementation of undiluted Tory policies.

Tell us why it is not immoral to make our kids and grand kids pay for out lifestyle is we can not afford it?

HOLA444

Tell us why it is not immoral to make our kids and grand kids pay for out lifestyle is we can not afford it?

The education system is educating our kids and possibly, for some of us, our grandkids right now. Our kids and grandkids benefit from the collection of rubbish now just as much as we do. The police and social services are not just protecting adults they're protecting children - the next generation. And the NHS is helping bring our kids and grandkids into the world and caring for them when they need it. This government has done more to harm the chances of the young than labour did by allowing the doubling or trebling of university tuition fees, dashing the ambitions and dreams of thousands of young people. And youth unemployment is at record levels while older people are likely to have to work beyond 65, and maybe past their pension age to make ends meet. But if you're in your mid 50's and made redundant, you're as good as on the scrapheap. That's broken Britain for you.

In short, the cuts are going to harm the next generation just as much as the debt would have done.

Military and police cuts are the most baffling of them all. Given the domestic unrest that is sure to come the police will need to be on side, and when the resource/oil wars start.....
Ah, but we won't need many police because of Big Society and everyone will adopt nice middle-class do-gooding values. Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

HOLA445

The education system is educating our kids and possibly, for some of us, our grandkids right now. Our kids and grandkids benefit from the collection of rubbish now just as much as we do. The police and social services are not just protecting adults they're protecting children - the next generation. And the NHS is helping bring our kids and grandkids into the world and caring for them when they need it. This government has done more to harm the chances of the young than labour did by allowing the doubling or trebling of university tuition fees, dashing the ambitions and dreams of thousands of young people.

In short, the cuts are going to harm the next generation just as much as the debt would have done.

Laughable, because you keep on about "Ideological cuts" and the educational budget is frozen.

You really are a complete fool.

HOLA446

Laughable, because you keep on about "Ideological cuts" and the educational budget is frozen.

You really are a complete fool.

No need to get out of your pram, we'll pick your toys up for you.

Children are benefitting from education now, money is being spent on them now, my point was that it's not like all public spending is on the over 30's or something. Whether or not the education budget is ringfenced wasn't even relevant to what I was saying.

I manage to follow most peoples' logic on here, even if I disagree with them and they're complete nutters - but your 'logic' completely baffles me. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's all been a load of typos that by some quirk of fate have actually come out as recognisable words.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

HOLA447

Children are benefitting from education now, money is being spent on them now, my point was that it's not like all public spending is on the over 30's or something. Whether or not the education budget is ringfenced wasn't even relevant to what I was saying.

I manage to follow most peoples' logic on here, even if I disagree with them and they're complete nutters - but your 'logic' completely baffles me. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's all been a load of typos that by some quirk of fate have actually come out as recognisable words.

it does not benefit our children at all to spend more than we earn and end like Greece or Ireland ... with even bigger cuts ...

It is quite a simple concept so I am not sure what is your problem with that ????

HOLA448

That is rather worrying, especially since it seems to be coupled to their traditional approach of making sure that their wealthy pals can still rake it in even if everyone else already seems to have been bled dry, but unfortunately most of the opposition to the cuts seems to come from people with a high-Labour ideology which doesn't seem to concern itself with the simple, hard reality of the economic situation.