House Price Crash Forum
Wahoo

Shares And Sipp's

Junior gold and silver mining stocks. Although I'd say gold and silver are a sure thing, the mining side can be prone to company and mine problems, not to mention nationalisation. That said the rewards can be fantastic. One miner during the 70's PM boom returned a 200,000% return up to 1980 (think it was Lion Mines), with the junior mining industry averaging between 5000% to 10000% returns.

I'm weighing up buying in myself soon to complimentto my physical metals, should have got in a while back as 2010 was a great year for the miners.

I think the only risk is that stock markets in general are overvalued and a big event (like $200 oil) could knock global confidence, sending stock markets crashing and taking the good down with the bad in the immediate term. So now might not be the best time to get in, but ultimately I am sure they will come good, it's just best to get in as low as possible to make the ultra-leveraged gains. A drip feed approach may be best all things considered, as timing is a b1tch.

Edited by General Congreve

Junior gold and silver mining stocks. Although I'd say gold and silver are a sure thing, the mining side can be prone to company and mine problems, not to mention nationalisation. That said the rewards can be fantastic. One miner during the 70's PM boom returned a 200,000% return up to 1980 (think it was Lion Mines), with the junior mining industry averaging between 5000% to 10000% returns.

I'm weighing up buying in myself soon to complimentto my physical metals, should have got in a while back as 2010 was a great year for the miners.

I think the only risk is that stock markets in general are overvalued and a big event (like $200 oil) could knock global confidence, sending stock markets crashing and taking the good down with the bad in the immediate term. So now might not be the best time to get in, but ultimately I am sure they will come good, it's just best to get in as low as possible to make the ultra-leveraged gains. A drip feed approach may be best all things considered, as timing is a b1tch.

Any particular stocks you are looking at?

Any particular stocks you are looking at?

Still in the research stages, but:

Arian Silver is one I definitely like the look of.

I also hear Silver Wheaton is worth a punt.

Also:

The Junior Gold Stock basket ETF, symbol: US:GDXJ

Looks a pretty good catch all. Can't remember who runs the ETF though. Obviously you are at the mercy of the institution holding the ETF remaining solvent.

There are a number of ISAble miners too, so tax free gains to be had from those ones if put in an ISA wrapper. Another poster told me the following are all ISAble. Can't confirm that as haven't check it out fully yet:

AGQ

CRND

OMI

YAU

RRS

FRES

HOC

Only got the symbols I'm afraid, so don't know all the full names of the companies as haven't had a good look yet, but FRES is Fresnillo for example (oh yeah, not all of these ones are juniors either, some mid caps and possibly large caps too).

Best to open a Google Stocks account, pop 'em in and then you can check out the performance, capitalisation, price history and news on each share. After that it's your call on what you buy!

Apparently TD Waterhouse is the investors favourite for buying international stocks, pretty easy to open an online trading account so I hear. Otherwise Hargreaves Lansdown are also highly rated.

Well, you've got one suggestion of buying into a bubble.

Another suggestion: bombed-out stocks. High risk, but when you can find something ripe for recovery or takeover you make an instant killing. Like, if you'd bought RBS two years ago at about 11p, or Barclays at 55p - or anywhere near those low points.

Recent example: Premier Foods sank and sank, and spent six months below 20p as the market worried about its survival under a mountain of debt. Then it made some disposals, brought the debt down, got a credit rating (cheaper refinancing), and shot up. Approx 50% rise in the past two months. Good profits for those of us who bought when it was down B)

A takeover can do even better. Sun shares had sunk to a bottom below $4, when the Oracle bid sent it shooting up to $9.

And these are big companies. A small-cap situation gets wilder :o

Edited by porca misèria

Another suggestion: bombed-out stocks. High risk, but when you can find something ripe for recovery or takeover you make an instant killing. Like, if you'd bought RBS two years ago at about 11p, or Barclays at 55p - or anywhere near those low points.

Recent example: Premier Foods sank and sank, and spent six months below 20p as the market worried about its survival under a mountain of debt. Then it made some disposals, brought the debt down, got a credit rating (cheaper refinancing), and shot up. Approx 50% rise in the past two months. Good profits for those of us who bought when it was down B)

A takeover can do even better. Sun shares had sunk to a bottom below $4, when the Oracle bid sent it shooting up to $9.

We are nowhere near bubble territory yet.

Precious Metals are much unloved by many and only make up roughly 0.8% of global asset allocation, whereas up until the 90's that allocation fluctuated between 20-%26% during the 20th century (when the bond bubble bursts precious metals could well rebalance towards these historical norms) . That is not the sign of a bubble.

Good tips on unloved shares BTW.

CRND for high risk high reward. Price dropped from 4p to 1.5p (now at 1.9p) because of Acid Mine Drainage and the lack of government response to the issue.

Government have recently pledged millions to rectify the problems in their latest budget.

Broker valuation upto 12p

Edited by OzzMosiz

Another suggestion: bombed-out stocks.

Buy HMV!! :lol::lol::lol:

6k in a SIPP? I'd spread amongst two or three funds in different sectors. For PMs, try a gold fund, otherwise I'd look at spreading it in between Western utilities and emerging nations.

p.s. I don't disagree with you but just wanted to highlight the potential pitfall.

Edited by Cash with Nowhere to Go

ITKY

XFVT

Turkey and Vietnam etfs are good value just now but only if you can stand volatility.

I love my junior mining fund but it feels very toppy and I would wait for a correction before buying altho

ITKY

XFVT

Turkey and Vietnam etfs are good value just now but only if you can stand volatility.

I love my junior mining fund but it feels very toppy and I would wait for a correction before buying although I wouldn't sell.

My really high risk tip of the day is to stick it all on CAZA, BPC or RKH

HER looks a decent bet at 3.25 but dont listen to me.

agreed. Don't know if I can handle any more fireworks in my portfolio just now though

CRND for high risk high reward. Price dropped from 4p to 1.5p (now at 1.9p) because of Acid Mine Drainage and the lack of government response to the issue.

Government have recently pledged millions to rectify the problems in their latest budget.

Thanks for this OzzMosiz.

Just bought 50,000 shares in CRND. Lets hope they go from 2p to 20 Quid ..........B)

With you on the bubble thinking, may go M&G Recovery this year as a lot of stuff is oversold.

If you had 6K to invest in your SIPP and wanted to take a high risk punt.......

What shares would you buy?

Thanks

Personally I am enthusiastic about Torotrak (this is not investment advice, just information.)

http://www.torotrak.com/

Beautiful innovative technology now being taken seriously by Tata, Allison and other major players.

Check out the Tata Pixel prototype car.

Personally I am enthusiastic about Torotrak (this is not investment advice, just information.)

http://www.torotrak.com/

Beautiful innovative technology now being taken seriously by Tata, Allison and other major players.

Check out the Tata Pixel prototype car.

Torotrak up about 30% since my previous post. :):):)

Torotrak up a further 27% today. :):):):)

That's 65% up in two weeks, which would have turned the OP's £6K into about £10K.

Too bad I'm not an IFA and so can't give investment advice. :(

Congratulations, you picked a winner! How much have you got invested in it?

Congratulations, you picked a winner! How much have you got invested in it?

I hope that you will understand if I keep quiet on that other than to say that I have a substantial holding built up over the several years for which I have been following the company.

It has actually taken far longer than I thought for the brilliant Torotrak technology to achieve significant recognition in the automotive industry.

For anyone interested, the best Torotrak shareholders' forum is on:

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail?display=discussion&code=cotn:TRK.L&it=le

CRND have issued an RNS which basically says to the SAG 'Get your fingers out and start helping with the AMD problem. or we are going to sell the pumps and close down the business'. If the SAG do nothing - which is most likely because the ANC are just a bunch of lazy communists, then acid mine water will be running down the streets of Jo'burg next year.

CRND have also abandoned shaft mining operations and moved into cash conservation mode. The shares have slumped to 1.3p. The question is, does one 'top-up' and wait long term? If they get the pumps going (august?), this baby could go north. Or there may be a take-over. Or cut and run?

On a different track....Have a look at Sound OIL (SOU). This is going to rocket IMO.

Sound OIL

The shares have slumped to 1.3p. The question is, does one 'top-up' and wait long term?

I'm confused.The board have issued a statement threatening to close down the business unless they get government help.You say that won't happen.Your "investment" has lost 35% in three weeks, and you're wondering if you should top up?

I'm confused.The board have issued a statement threatening to close down the business unless they get government help.You say that won't happen.Your "investment" has lost 35% in three weeks, and you're wondering if you should top up?

The situation is more complex than I had space to post. CRND are playing two games. Firstly to force the SAG into paying for the AMD situation. CRND have the pumps which would reduce flooding and expose the higher grade gold at lower levels. The SAG are taking the line that the polluter pays; a good line, but the original miners tht caused the problem, are long gone. The pumps that CRND own are powerful enough to remove the acid flooding and protect Jo'burg. But, removing the water is easy. The next stage is neutalising it and removing heavy metals. This is expensive.

The second game they are playing, is looking for a take-over bid. The MM's are pushing down the share price, and some huge buys have gone through in the last two days. CRND have estimated gold deposits (which are in the ground) at an estimated value of 10 Billion$. It looks like large institutions are sucking up cheap shares waiting for a bid.

What's interesting here is the attitude towards the share holders (owners). Most companies work over-time to deliver share-holder value. Some companies manipulate the share price for their own (Directors) gain. If a take-over happens, then PI's have been suckered.

So, the question is risk. Panic and sell at a 35% loss, or wait for AMD solution or possible take-over. By topping up at a lower price, you can recover losses more quickly. A take-over would be profitable. Suspended shares mean you lost all.

But that's the game - profit is risk.

My gut feeling is that a take-over is on the cards. That explains the large buys over the last two days. The shares have already clawed back 35%.

I only invest on the AIM market, and have shares in Junior Miners and Oil Companies. I enjoy the wild swings you get with AIM, and if you do your own research, it can be profitable. I always operate within a SIPP, for obvious tax advantages, although you cannot offset loses.

At the risk of ramping: I'd consider SOU (BIG TIME), ORE and THR. I also think SOLO OIL could turn up trumps. Just bought 100,000 shares in SOLO, because they are a very cheap oil company about to release an RNS with respect to the oil found in their latest drilling in East Africa.

EDIT: But hey WTFDIK! DYOR.;)

Edited by Davetolbooth

I hope that you will understand if I keep quiet on that other than to say that I have a substantial holding built up over the several years for which I have been following the company.

It has actually taken far longer than I thought for the brilliant Torotrak technology to achieve significant recognition in the automotive industry.

For anyone interested, the best Torotrak shareholders' forum is on:

http://www.iii.co.uk...otn:TRK.L&it=le

You're clearly a very very smart guy. Good luck on this.

So your company has acquired some poisonous liabilitiesassets, and finds itself unable or unwilling to service them. Now it's looking either to blackmail the government and/or to find a greater fool. Fair summary?

Sounds like the least bad outcomes would be would be for someone to acquire it from the receivers. Or if noone will touch it, nationalisation to protect the innocent. Either way, what claim should existing shareholders have?