House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workhou

Being An Eu National And The Uk Driving Test

Apparently foreign nationals from the accession countries are able to do a 2 week driving test for LGVs for minimal cost then drive in the UK legally. I'm practicing for my full motorbike test and it's costing me a fortune. Is it possible for me to go to say, Poland, get a bike license there then ride a bike in the UK? As effectively, this is what other EU nationals are doing!

A mate of mine who drives LGVs for a living is being seriously undercut by Poles and other EU nationals who can obtain LGV licenses within 2 weeks! He used to make £12 an hour now he makes £8.50 because of the huge increase in competition from EU workers. I thought driving LGVs was skilled, he might as well be in a factory.

Apparently foreign nationals from the accession countries are able to do a 2 week driving test for LGVs for minimal cost then drive in the UK legally. I'm practicing for my full motorbike test and it's costing me a fortune. Is it possible for me to go to say, Poland, get a bike license there then ride a bike in the UK? As effectively, this is what other EU nationals are doing!

A mate of mine who drives LGVs for a living is being seriously undercut by Poles and other EU nationals who can obtain LGV licenses within 2 weeks! He used to make £12 an hour now he makes £8.50 because of the huge increase in competition from EU workers. I thought driving LGVs was skilled, he might as well be in a factory.

Alternatively be old and get grandfathered in to the C1 and C1E class for free !

I knew being old had to have some benefits.

BTW I would be interested in knowing the real answer as it would be good to get a 750cc motorbike licence or something like that.

feck the E.U . , blow up the tunnel and sink the ferries, thats the only way forward ..ffs the dont even drive on the RIGHT side the kuntz :lol:

You can take your test overseas but how long you can use it in the UK is time limited:

Residents

A valid community licence issued on the strength of a driving test within the EC/EEA, will allow you to drive in GB for a set period. Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British licence.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:

Car, motorcycle driving licence holders (ordinary driving licence):

• until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period

Lorry, minibus, bus driving licence holders (vocational driving licence):

• until aged 45 or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period
  • if you are aged over 45 (but under 65) until your 66th birthday or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the shorter period
  • if you are aged 65 or over for 12 months after becoming resident

In order to continue driving after these periods, you must get a British driving licence.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022556

However, whatever the DVLA rules may be, be prepared to get hammered on insurance when you declare you have a non-UK licence...

You can take your test overseas but how long you can use it in the UK is time limited:

Residents

A valid community licence issued on the strength of a driving test within the EC/EEA, will allow you to drive in GB for a set period. Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British licence.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:

Car, motorcycle driving licence holders (ordinary driving licence):

• until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period

Lorry, minibus, bus driving licence holders (vocational driving licence):

• until aged 45 or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period
  • if you are aged over 45 (but under 65) until your 66th birthday or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the shorter period
  • if you are aged 65 or over for 12 months after becoming resident

In order to continue driving after these periods, you must get a British driving licence.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022556

However, whatever the DVLA rules may be, be prepared to get hammered on insurance when you declare you have a non-UK licence...

Time limited? To 70 years of age for a typical car driver? Is wildly different to a UK licence?

As for insurance, adding my wife to my insurance has consistently reduced it...

My wife has never changed her EU licence for a British one and has no problem getting cheap insurance. They don't load the premium at all for a non-UK (but EU) licence.

I have a UK licence yet live in France. I could send it off and obtain a French licence but there is no reason to, unless I get points added to it. My licence lasts until I am 70 and I do not want a photo licence that I must pay to have renewed every 10 years.

If you're immigrating from the EU, is getting a British licence simply a case of filling out a form and writing a hefty cheque, or do you have to take the UK test? The website is vague, stating only that 'You may be able to exchange...' your EU licence for a British one [it is implied, without taking the UK test].

If you're immigrating from outside the EU, the website is very clear that you have to take the test here within a year of arrival.

Alternatively be old and get grandfathered in to the C1 and C1E class for free !

I knew being old had to have some benefits.

BTW I would be interested in knowing the real answer as it would be good to get a 750cc motorbike licence or something like that.

I've noticed looking at some of my younger colleagues licences I'm able to drive more than them. Seems someone found another nice money making scam for the govt.

To get a bike licence in another EU country you'd need a licence in that country. To do that you'd need residence and you just swap your UK one for a local one. So it can be done but it requires residence and you need to swap your licence for the local one.

I've noticed looking at some of my younger colleagues licences I'm able to drive more than them. Seems someone found another nice money making scam for the govt.

Yep, no towing or driving anything 3.5-7.5t on a normal car licence these days. It's about a grand for the course to get a 7.5t licence now and it is by no means a gimme.