House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
red

Made An Offer Last Thursday - No Word From Ea

Mrs Red and I made an offer 15-20% below asking price for a property last week.

EA (slimy 30-something) said it wasn't the highest they'd received but as we're chain-free, big deposit buyers, we might have a chance.

Through gritted teeth, I was as nice as pie to the idiot, who couldn't answer basic question about the property, proving that they are indeed a total waste of space and an unnecessary evil in the whole house-buying process.

Anyway, the offer was made Thursday morning, by email and phone. He said he'd put offers to the vendor that afternoon.

It's now Tuesday. We've heard NOTHING. Not even a courtesy call to say why the delay.

You offer over half a million pounds of your money to buy something and the person responsible for overseeing the transaction can't be @rsed to let you know what's going on.

I am desperate to call the manager and give him an earful for appalling customer services but know I'd blow my chances of getting a property through them in the future.

It strikes me as a perfect example why the EA industry needs greater training and regulation. How can an ill-educated, irresponsible moron lacking in basic communication skills be so instrumental in the biggest financial decision anyone is likely to make in their lives?

And what do I do to vent my anger...?

(Edit for naff spelling)

Edited by red

I've only dealt with EAs when looking to rent, but I'm also amazed at how incompetent and lazy they are on the whole. Even the laziness is incompetent. Competent laziness means having a checklist so you can get your work done as quickly as possible and get on with playing farmville or whatever. EAs can't even get that right.

Have you tried ringing them to ask? Better that than sit there stewing.

The idiot has probably forgotten to ring you back.

The point is, why should I have to ring them?!

They are acting as agents in a sale transaction of a serious amount of money and they can't be bothered to keep all interested parties in the loop. It's a fecking disgrace.

If the house is occupied I would be tempted to post a note through the door explaining your offer and the lack of action from the EA.

+1

Any suspicion of EA underhandedness or inactivity should get the "through the letterbox" treatment.

I would ring them and say that you are would like an answer soon as there are other properties that you are interested in offering on if this is rejected.

I've dealt with three different agents for viewings and made a few offers early last year and all three were incompetent, lacking in knowledge of the property and two out right lied to us. I hate dealing with them! But unfortunatly you just have to be polite, show that you are knowledgeable and don't let the mess you about.

Saying all that the delay could simply mean the vendors are considering your offering and working out their finances.

You offered half a million pounds for something and you cant think of a reason?

They are acting as agents in a sale transaction of a serious amount of money and they can't be bothered to keep all interested parties in the loop. It's a fecking disgrace.

They dont appear to be the only ones that cant be bothered.

EA (slimy 30-something) said it wasn't the highest they'd received but as we're chain-free, big deposit buyers, we might have a chance.

Through gritted teeth, I was as nice as pie to the idiot, who couldn't answer basic question about the property, proving that they are indeed a total waste of space and an unnecessary evil in the whole house-buying process.

Anyway, the offer was made Thursday morning, by email and phone. He said he'd put offers to the vendor that afternoon.

It's now Tuesday. We've heard NOTHING. Not even a courtesy call to say why the delay.

You offer over half a million pounds of your money to buy something and the person responsible for overseeing the transaction can't be @rsed to let you know what's going on.

I am desperate to call the manager and give him an earful for appalling customer services but know I'd blow my chances of getting a property through them in the future.

It strikes me as a perfect example why the EA industry needs greater training and regulation. How can an ill-educated, irresponsible moron lacking in basic communication skills be so instrumental in the biggest financial decision anyone is likely to make in their lives?

(Edit for naff spelling)

There's a fairly high possibility that this is a tactic to get you all worked up so that when you eventually call them back, you'll be more likely to offer more.

I'd call them to check, but not offer more.

(Edit for naff spelling)

I am tempted to say just leave it, they'll call you eventually. No point getting worked up, the guy is either trying to play you or is so incompetent he's forgotten about you! I genuinely hope you MUST buy though. Now is really not the time! Have you not been reading this forum...

If the house is occupied I would be tempted to post a note through the door explaining your offer and the lack of action from the EA.

House is empty

maybe you accidentally wrote the amount of your offer in the 'phone number' box of the contact details sheet?

He's playing games with you. Do not call back for one of two reasons

a) they have received better offers than yours and don't have thecourtesy to put you out of your misery

or more likely,

B) he's making you sweat thinking about all those better offers on the table

either way you are in a stronger position by not pulling his strings, if it was me and I had to phone up then I'd make the reason that your reducing the offer by say £5k

Shirley that would start with a nice round zero?

might have looked like an international direct dial number +61 is australia - the EA might have thought it was Bardon...?

There's a fairly high possibility that this is a tactic to get you all worked up so that when you eventually call them back, you'll be more likely to offer more.

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen eh?

We had a similar EA tactic wherby they didn't get back after we offered the asking price (this was back in 2004). I think they were just delaying in the hope of a better offer. Two weeks later after we'd contacted the EA we were told of a dodgy sounding cash buyer at the asking, and would we like to increase our offer to swing the balance back to us. Said No. A week after that EA rings up to congratulate us that our offer had been accepted! We'd found something better in the interim so politely told him to Foxtrot Oscar. This is a buyers market, so even more room to play hardball.

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen eh?

We had a similar EA tactic wherby they didn't get back after we offered the asking price (this was back in 2004). I think they were just delaying in the hope of a better offer. Two weeks later after we'd contacted the EA we were told of a dodgy sounding cash buyer at the asking, and would we like to increase our offer to swing the balance back to us. Said No. A week after that EA rings up to congratulate us that our offer had been accepted! We'd found something better in the interim so politely told him to Foxtrot Oscar.

This is a buyers market, so even more room to play hardball.

Quite.

Plenty of choice about, with more to follow.

Them with cash, or mortgage approved are holding the aces, definitely not a dishonest EA.

I arranged to view a no-chain property that had been on the market for over a year. The EA didn't even bother to turn up - no phone call, no apology, nothing.

I rang up and got the receptionist, who (obviously) didn't know why the EA didn't turn up, but refused to put me through to the person in question or seek an explanation. She apologised once and then all she would say is "Do you want me to book another viewing? They'll definitely turn up this time". I told them to sling their hook, and 3 months later the property is still on the market and has been reduced by 8 grand.

Tossers the lot of them.

Edited by dpg50000

This is all very interesting. I actually got told off by an EA last week :)

Have been looking at a few properties with an estate agent for the past few months. Recently I have been busy at work and could never reply to the EA's call asking for feedback on the viewings. Always mean to but after finishing work it slipped my mind.

Anyway, I phoned up about viewing another property and was told off by the EA who accused me of being discourteous because I never gave feedback after the viewings.

I explained my long hours etc during the week and that it's not always easy to talk on the phone during the day. Also, if they emailed me I could reply at my leisure.

Anyway the estate agent said they would give us one more chance smile.gif

but if it happens again, they wo't be showing us anymore properties!