House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

U K Manufacturing Breaks Another Record High

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Manufacturing-PMI-holds-reuters_molt-1964557723.html?x=0

Manufacturing PMI holds at record high in February - CIPS/Markit
Peter "Pete" Griffiths, 9:41, Tuesday 1 March 2011
LONDON (Reuters) - Manufacturing growth held at a record level in February and factory costs stayed near January's survey high, suggesting price pressures are continuing to build, a survey showed.
The Markit/CIPS headline manufacturing Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) stood at 61.5 in February, unchanged from a downwardly revised 61.5 in January. That was the highest since the survey began in January 1992 and above the consensus forecast of 61.
Signs of robust manufacturing growth and surging manufacturing costs could add to calls for the Bank of England to raise interest rates sooner rather than later to curb inflationary pressures.

Merv may be forced to hike now as NW say house prices are safe and manufacturing is in boom times. If, of the other hand, NW data is false Merv will have to remain vigilant.

All we have to do is keep Manufacturing growing at this rate for the next two decades and we will be laughing...

many a true word spoken in jest

I would just like to report I can confirm this upsurge in manufacturing activity.

I recently bought a wooden tool to make pots out of newspaper with. (no, really :D)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PAPER-POTTER-PLANT-POT-MAKER/dp/B000QB5TUE

On receipt this week I looked to see where this thing of beauty was manufactured. I can confirm mine was made in the UK (not bought from Amazon though so can't vouch for them).

I never expected the currency would be so crushed that it would make sense making basic wooden implements in this country again.

I have said this a few times on here that high oil prices mean that it is economic to produce lightweight, bulky items , low value here as opposed to china. Whereas producing high value compact items (ipods, etc) will still remain in China. We are going to see the reverse of the last 10 years low value simple items made here instead of China and high value expensive (cars, planes, etc) made in China not the west.

Interesting times ahead.

Edited by ralphmalph

http://uk.finance.ya...557723.html?x=0

Manufacturing PMI holds at record high in February - CIPS/Markit
Peter "Pete" Griffiths, 9:41, Tuesday 1 March 2011
LONDON (Reuters) - Manufacturing growth held at a record level in February and factory costs stayed near January's survey high, suggesting price pressures are continuing to build, a survey showed.
The Markit/CIPS headline manufacturing Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) stood at 61.5 in February, unchanged from a downwardly revised 61.5 in January. That was the highest since the survey began in January 1992 and above the consensus forecast of 61.
Signs of robust manufacturing growth and surging manufacturing costs could add to calls for the Bank of England to raise interest rates sooner rather than later to curb inflationary pressures.

Merv may be forced to hike now as NW say house prices are safe and manufacturing is in boom times. If, of the other hand, NW data is false Merv will have to remain vigilant.

"Output prices rose for the 16th consecutive month in February to reach their highest rate since August 2008, with the steepest increases in chemicals, food and drink and timber."

so everything we eat, make, and build...all havingtheir steepest increases ever.

and as the PMI seems to reflect prices.....then we can expect a boom in the next few months.

except, it wont be in sales of things, just the price of things.

I would just like to report I can confirm this upsurge in manufacturing activity.

I recently bought a wooden tool to make pots out of newspaper with. (no, really :D)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PAPER-POTTER-PLANT-POT-MAKER/dp/B000QB5TUE

On receipt this week I looked to see where this thing of beauty was manufactured. I can confirm mine was made in the UK (not bought from Amazon though so can't vouch for them).

I never expected the currency would be so crushed that it would make sense making basic wooden implements in this country again.

There's an army of amateur wood turners in the UK, all operating from their sheds and garages, churning out rolling pins, eggcups, fruit bowls, newspaper pot makers, and other such simple items. And they're not alone, there are also thousands of garage based picture framers, scissor sharpeners, cushion makers, fishing rod builders, etc etc.

Ebay and Amazon has given them market access, China has given them cheap machine tools, and redundancy has given them time!

http://www.amazon.co...R/dp/B000QB5TUE

perhaps it is made by robots or on the automated lane so the labour costs are not very important ....

It's all coming up roses for the UK :ph34r:

I wonder if the Koalishon have pulled it off? :o

Everything coming up double roses accross the pond where it began:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-01/manufacturing-in-u-s-probably-grew-at-fastest-pace-since-2004.html

Manufacturing in U.S. Probably Grew at Fastest Pace Since 2004

By Timothy "Tim" R. Homan - Mar 1, 2011 5:00 AM GMT

Manufacturing in the U.S. probably grew in February at the fastest pace in almost seven years, indicating factories are providing more momentum for the expansion, economists said before a report today.

The Institute for Supply Management’s factory index rose last month to 61, the highest since May 2004, from January’s 60.8, according to the median estimate in a Bloomberg News survey. Readings greater than 50 signal growth. Other data may show construction spending fell 0.4 percent in January.

Edited by Realistbear