House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hyperduck Quack Quack

House Prices Moving Sideways Now!

This morning on BBC news the chief economist of Nationwide said that house prices were moving sideways. Now I think we can all understand the idea of house prices moving up, or moving down, or standing still even, but moving sideways??? How can you tell if the value of your house is moving sideways or staying still? :lol:

How can you tell if the value of your house is moving sideways or staying still? :lol:

By looking out the window?

This morning on BBC news the chief economist of Nationwide said that house prices were moving sideways. Now I think we can all understand the idea of house prices moving up, or moving down, or standing still even, but moving sideways??? How can you tell if the value of your house is moving sideways or staying still? :lol:

Anyway, It's not "standing still", OR "moving sideways" - it's "Treading water" lol!!!

This is all based on the assumption that your house is facing upwards, if it faces just a tiny bit to the right then moving sideways may cause the price to go down.

Some "sideways" movement in my area (5 mi E of Brighton--wealothy and resilient SE!

http://www.zoopla.co...b5e096c3e25e21f

First listed on Zoopla

£374,950 on 10th Sep 2010

Asking price changes

£350,000 ↓6.7% Reduced on: 16th Sep 2010

£339,950 ↓2.9% Reduced on: 10th Nov 2010

£325,000 ↓4.4% Reduced on: 28th Jan 2011

First listed on Zoopla

£349,950 on 17th Aug 2010

Asking price changes

£339,950 ↓2.9% Reduced on: 17th Sep 2010

£337,950 ↓0.6% Reduced on: 29th Sep 2010

£335,950 ↓0.6% Reduced on: 30th Sep 2010

£300,000 ↓10.7% Reduced on: 6th Dec 2010

First listed on Zoopla

£325,000 on 30th Nov 2010

Asking price changes

£299,950 ↓7.7% Reduced on: 10th Feb 2011

First listed on Zoopla

£330,000 on 9th Sep 2010

Asking price changes

£300,000 ↓9.1% Reduced on: 7th Oct 2010

£289,950 ↓3.4% Reduced on: 24th Feb 2011

First listed on Zoopla

£270,000 on 9th Sep 2010

Asking price changes

£275,000 ↑1.9% Increased on: 12th Sep 2010

£267,500 ↓2.7% Reduced on: 27th Nov 2010

£250,000 ↓6.5% Reduced on: 10th Jan 2011

First listed on Zoopla

£265,000 on 10th Feb 2010

Asking price changes

£259,995 ↓1.9% Reduced on: 30th Jun 2010

£249,950 ↓3.9% Reduced on: 28th Aug 2010

£239,950 ↓4.0% Reduced on: 14th Oct 2010

£230,000 ↓4.1% Reduced on: 11th Feb 2011

What is the best outcome for the banking sector and vested interests in the face of the biggest investment bubble in history?

Then look at what the recent vested interests figures have been pointing to, making sure you ignore your local market which may already be 10-15% down on spring/early summer 2010 prices).

They want to form the impression of stagnation, you wont find them talking the market up any more as they know we need the steady correction they are aiming for but I doubt we will see 08 crash cruise speed again in the figures, just a few months of decent falls followed by a period of flat figures so as not to spook the market. Despite the figure I suspect some regions will fall and fall significantly.

I can imagine seeing prices down 20-30% from 07 peak and there will be people who take these figures at face value who argue the market is holding up ok and just tracking sideways....

What he means is that asking prices are going down but no sales are going through because buyers are waiting for what they think is bottom or simply cannot get the funding.

What is the best outcome for the banking sector and vested interests in the face of the biggest investment bubble in history?

Then look at what the recent vested interests figures have been pointing to, making sure you ignore your local market which may already be 10-15% down on spring/early summer 2010 prices).

They want to form the impression of stagnation, you wont find them talking the market up any more as they know we need the steady correction they are aiming for but I doubt we will see 08 crash cruise speed again in the figures, just a few months of decent falls followed by a period of flat figures so as not to spook the market. Despite the figure I suspect some regions will fall and fall significantly.

+1

The latest trick appears to be hiding the falls in revisions to the previous month's data. Very under the radar.

+1

The latest trick appears to be hiding the falls in revisions to the previous month's data. Very under the radar.

Exactly the falls are happening and will happen but the masses will be kept in the dark where possible.

What he means is that asking prices are going down but no sales are going through because buyers are waiting for what they think is bottom or simply cannot get the funding.
Are people still waiting for prices to fall? The indications at the moment are that house prices are going nowhere - they're stagnant.