House Price Crash Forum
Tired of Waiting

Jill Insley, A Guardian Journalist, Gets It :

A Guardian journalist gets it:

" The real elephant in the room is house prices. Although they have fallen 0.9% over the past year, according to Land Registry figures, it is not nearly enough to make property affordable for most first-time buyers. While the average salary in the UK is just £26,510, the average price of property is still more than six times that at £163,177.
Until something is done to address this disparity, prospective buyers will remain as tenants."

Article by Ms Jill Insley, "the head of the consumer team, which includes Guardian Money and Observer Cash".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2011/feb/28/northern-rock-first-time-buyer-mortgage

Edited by Tired of Waiting

The real elephant in the room is house prices. Although they have fallen 0.9% over the past year, according to Land Registry figures, it is not nearly enough to make property affordable for most first-time buyers. While the average salary in the UK is just £26,510, the average price of property is still more than six times that at £163,177.
Until something is done to address this disparity, prospective buyers will remain as tenants.

Article by Ms Jill Insley, "the head of the consumer team, which includes Guardian Money and Observer Cash".

http://www.guardian....-buyer-mortgage

Saw that too and nearly had a heart attack, someone has obviously hit her on the head with a heavy object and she has woken up realising that HPI is a bad thing.

She has been replying to HPCers comments under her articles so often that she might have realised that the average audience no longer thinks HPI = good. As she is capable of doing the figures she might have done them and realised HPs are heading south.

I wonder is she has got rid of all the BTLs :ph34r:

Edited by koala_bear

The real elephant in the room is house prices. Although they have fallen 0.9% over the past year, according to Land Registry figures, it is not nearly enough to make property affordable for most first-time buyers. While the average salary in the UK is just £26,510, the average price of property is still more than six times that at £163,177.
Until something is done to address this disparity, prospective buyers will remain as tenants.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2011/feb/28/northern-rock-first-time-buyer-mortgage

And because they are in rental, presumably more likely to strike/emmigrate etc as they havent got the controlling factors of a mortgage.

When Reagan/Thatcher started the housing boom and relaxed the banking rules, at the time, I thought it was a way of getting the population to be compliant, by getting them in mortgages with the big home ownership mantra.

So where's this heading? Another supercycle? A hacked off younger generation etc. For all our automated production and technology, we have more sophisticated control of the population...but are we any better off?

Edited by voidal

It's all a bit weird this. How come *all of a sudden* the establishment is starting to "get it"?

It was Milliband with his squeezed middle "quiet crisis", and then about immigration driving down wages, then the stuff about people voting for hard right parties if the members all wore fluffy bunny ears, and then this ...

I am suspicious. What's going on? And how on earth can these people be so far behind the zeitgeist anyway?

Have they started cutting and pasting from this site yet?

She might not have copied from HPC but quite possibly from some HPCers comments under her previous articles...

She will have checked the numbers and realised they are right!

It's all a bit weird this. How come *all of a sudden* the establishment is starting to "get it"?

It was Milliband with his squeezed middle "quiet crisis", and then about immigration driving down wages, then the stuff about people voting for hard right parties if the members all wore fluffy bunny ears, and then this ...

I am suspicious. What's going on? And how on earth can these people be so far behind the zeitgeist anyway?

Interest rate rise to defend the pound coming.

probably got something to do with labour no longer being in power and rightly assuming the british voter has a memory of a goldfish when it comes to their part in the bust and political parties in general

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Comments under the article:

TheBoyGifford 28 February 2011 4:02PM

The government has called repeatedly on lenders to once again start providing affordable and sensible mortgage funding for this vital section of the market.

_________

How can lenders provide loans that are 'affordable' and 'sensible' when the cost of housing in the UK is neither?

• icons_staff_28.gifJillI 28 February 2011 4:12PM
    @ TheBoyGifford
    Exactly.

It looks like Jill I has had a Damascene conversion

And because they are in rental, presumably more likely to strike/emmigrate etc as they havent got the controlling factors of a mortgage.

When Reagan/Thatcher started the housing boom and relaxed the banking rules, at the time, I thought it was a way of getting the population to be compliant, by getting them in mortgages with the big home ownership mantra.

So where's this heading? Another supercycle? A hacked off younger generation etc. For all our automated production and technology, we have more sophisticated control of the population...but are we any better off?

No no no, this was a deliberate policy of TPTB at the time,

At the moment the younger generation are being sold down the river as debt fodder, personally I think they should go on a debt strike.

The game is over

House prices will fall, perhaps some 20% in the next 2 years? Mostly due to reduced finances.

Unfortunately we didn't even use the boom opportunity to "over build", like in other countries. Our housing stock is still cr@p, in quality size and, in the south, quantity too.

BTW, Thatcher was ousted over 20 years ago (Nov 1990),

House prices will fall, perhaps some 20% in the next 2 years? Mostly due to reduced finances.

Unfortunately we didn't even use the boom opportunity to "over build", like in other countries. Our housing stock is still cr@p, in quality size and, in the south, quantity too.

yep, as is much the way in life timing is everything, get in early enough in the cycle and you too can be an economic genius, whoever happens to come in when this debt cycle has finally deflated can also be an economic guru, i wonder what party it will be?

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

just goes to show that a credit bubble can inflate for over 20 years.

I don't think anyone can possibly predict what will happen to house prices or the economy in the next 20 years.

I bought my first house when Maggie was in power BTW, she destroyed this country. Labour, while having ample time failed to do anything to fix it.

Saw that too and nearly had a heart attack, someone has obviously hit her on the head with a heavy object and she has woken up realising that HPI is a bad thing.

She has been replying to HPCers comments under her articles so often that she might have realised that the average audience no longer thinks HPI = good. As she is capable of doing the figures she might have done them and realised HPs are heading south.

I wonder is she has got rid of all the BTLs :ph34r:

Makes my blood boil that journalists like her can go so long without even realizing the negatives of HPI. Hell most journalists in this country are a crock of shit following the mainstream and party line. Our newspapers and television news are very tame and never challenge the government seriously.

I think the HPC forum is just proof that intelligence does not mean you will make a good living. Sure there are a lot of intelligent people on here making a good living but also some my age who scrape by, then you have journalists like this who are clearly dumb as shit and just stealing ideas from HPC members. Because to some extent our society is about complying, the people who comply the most are also not usually the most intelligent.

For example by leaving school early and/ or starting your own business you are not complying to the systems expectations of you and a lot of intelligent people who are bored of the rigged system will do this. But then other people go through the education system, get reasonable results and go on to get jobs like be a journalist (hell probably partly because she may have ******ed the boss) and are just, dumb.

Her article looks like a rewrite of various things written on this forum compounded into paragraphs.

Edited by Saberu

Bloody EXCELLENT video!! :D:D:D:P:P

It is a brilliant cartoon. It is actually the best list of all causes of this fecking bubble: Alan Greenspan, Bankers, Idiotic Buyers (the "serfs" in Question Time audience) and best of all, our favourite: Gordon B@stard Brown - and getting his just deserts! :lol::lol::lol:

It is a brilliant cartoon. It is actually the best list of all causes of this fecking bubble: Alan Greenspan, Bankers, Idiotic Buyers (the "serfs" in Question Time audience) and best of all, our favourite: Gordon B@stard Brown - and getting his just deserts! :lol::lol::lol:

Should be out there for everyone to watch!

Would be good to see a few more posts congratulating her.

Yes she is behind the HPC learning curve but whatever we think of journos they have got to be encouraged by us to continue to report in this bearish manner.

Anyone signed upto the Guardian?

Would be good to see a few more posts congratulating her.

Yes she is behind the HPC learning curve but whatever we think of journos they have got to be encouraged by us to continue to report in this bearish manner.

Anyone signed upto the Guardian?

Exactly my thoughts / reason for starting this thread.

"Carrots & Sticks"... We've been using only sticks. We should start using carrots as well.

I bought my first house when Maggie was in power BTW, she destroyed this country. Labour, while having ample time failed to do anything to fix it.

Obviously this explodes every time but that is a massive generalisation.

Edited by cica