House Price Crash Forum

Times A Changing Over On Mse

HOLA441

Just been reading some of the topics over on MSE and I get the definite feeling all the sheeple have turned the corner and reality is starting to set in.

I even found this classic:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3081436

"Good afternoon all

Just wondered if anyone knows wether or not it is possible to purchase a property with a personal loan.

The problem I'm having is that the properties I am looking to buy are quite low value and most lenders have a minimum amount which they will lend and quite a lot of the properties I am looking at fall below this amount(Between 25 and 35K)

I will have around 5K towards the purchase."

"Good God, I want to know where you're buying"

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Fair play to the poster. If he wants to buy a house with a personal loan he'll end up in a situation where his property is NOT at risk... nice!

I must be missing something, because I just don't understand why you'd do this. Aren't mortgage repayments cheaper than loan repayments? Surely with a mortgage the property is only at risk if he doesn't keep up with repayments.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I must be missing something, because I just don't understand why you'd do this. Aren't mortgage repayments cheaper than loan repayments? Surely with a mortgage the property is only at risk if he doesn't keep up with repayments.

Probably a bankrupt punter who now realises that the next hot thing is to be a cash buyer, and realises the only way he can be this is to get more debt :lol: . Either that or it is just a wind up.

HOLA447

My reading of what he says is that he can't get a mortgage, because banks won't lend such small amounts (25-30k) as an initial mortgage...

HOLA448
HOLA449

Fair play to the poster. If he wants to buy a house with a personal loan he'll end up in a situation where his property is NOT at risk... nice!

(I know, I know, any lender can get your house if they try hard enough.)

They'll never give him the loan if he tells them what its for though. If he doesn't tell them then they will easily get a charge on the property and probably even if he doesn't default in any way.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

...loans are not secured on the property, so it is the same as paying for the house in cash...loans may be pricier but they are usually at a fixed interest rate repaid over a shorter period of time....so in the long run they end up being cheaper.

This is not a bad way of paying for a property if it can be done.....the bad way of buying a property is with a personal loan when the loan is used for the deposit (maybe also for home improvements) and a mortgage is taken out on top > 100% financed by debt.....one good way to ensure disaster for those without a back up plan. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4413

Stoke prices look like they're from a different era. Actually, thinking about, Stoke itself looks like it's from a different era.

I used to live round stoke and two things:

1) I liked the people up that way very much. Genuine, down to earth people

2) The house prices were about the same as that in 1995 when I was there!!!!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

£136 p.m. rental on a £25k outlay. what's that then, 5% yield minus repairs? Unlikely to be voids as it's a protected tenancy.

Screaming out for a budding young BTL'er!

Edit: Because I'm financially illiterate!

Edited by AThirdWay

HOLA4416

£136 p.m. rental on a £25k outlay. what's that then, 5% yield minus repairs? Unlikely to be voids as it's a protected tenancy.

Screaming out for a budding young BTL'er!

Edit: Because I'm financially illiterate!

it's an auction - will prob go for more than 25k based on yield... ??

Edited by Si1

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

There's a huge spate of posts about keeping existing home and BTLing it out whilst they buy a new one.

An insane idea for most people who fail to realise they just take on more debt.

But they don't want to sell their house for a "pittance"

They don't want to sell it for 'less than it's worth' to some 'greedy buyer taking advantage' so try this to hang onto it 'until the market recovers'. :lol:

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Me too!

I think it is pretty standard - one of the reasons mortgages are so cheap compared to unsecured loans (apart from the collateral of course) is the economy of scale that comes from administering a single large loan - same for you, the mortgage setup fees would become more significant at lower mortgage totals

still, you could always try juggling 0% credit cards, zopa, etc, sure there is a way

HOLA4424

I seriously think in the not too distant, 50k will be considered a reasonable mortgage. Sick of hearing people on the bus (they don`t do it so much now of course :lol: ) saying, " John and Jackie paid 250 for theirs" "Bill and Susan paid 300" etc etc. 300 what, pence, you sheeple idiots! Wake up time is here I fear. Popcorn at the ready?

HOLA4425

You think? After a bit of mental arithmetic, it's actually about the 6.5% mark. Say 5% after repair costs? I would have thought 5% would be the minimum that anyone would go for at the moment?

fair point

overpriced then, way overpriced - especially if the protected tennancy does not track inflation and if onerous costs are associated (?)