House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

The Size Of Four Football Pitches

Am I alone in finding the media's insistence of measuring everything in football pitches meaningless. Why can't they use proper units of measurement?

You're not alone - and why do they insist on measuring height in double decker buses?

Am I alone in finding the media's insistence of measuring everything in football pitches meaningless. Why can't they use proper units of measurement?

That's part of the proper Journalist System of weights and measures. It also includes double decker buses, Olympic-size swimming pools, and the height of Nelson's Column.

That's part of the proper Journalist System of weights and measures. It also includes double decker buses, Olympic-size swimming pools, and the height of Nelson's Column.

You forgot the Wales, the universal journalistic unit of fairly small countries.

And yet when an interesting astronomical story comes along they start quoting numbers in miles or kilometers, but usually those are meaninglessly large numbers, ignoring the units astronomers conveniently use in general discussion (AU = distance between the Earth and the Sun, solar masses are self-explanatory, and so on).

It's daft isn't it?

An aeroplane is flying at five thousand feet, so, 5,000/185=27.02 Nelson's columns, except that's wrong as the official height of Nelson's Column is 185 feet, but the actual height is 169 feet, so the aeroplane is actually flying at an altitude of 29.58 Nelson's Columns :rolleyes:.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-395145/Nelson-facelift-loses-16ft.html

It's even more meaningless when you consider that there's no such thing as a standard football pitch. They'd be better off quoting cricket pitches, which are always 22 yards (or a chain) in length, if you want to compare something to something else.

I believe most football pitches are about 100m in length. Most people even cannot visualise 20m, much less 100m, so saying something is 400mx100m is meaningless.

Not nearly as meaningless as football pitches to those who don't watch football.

List of unusual units of measurement

I remember an amusing discussion on Slashdot when the Library of Congress went online, and someone asked: 'How many "Libraries of Congress" of information was that?'. It turned out, according to one wag, that according to the usual convention, the Library of Congress took up 2.2 Libraries of Congress worth of data storage.

The LoC is (or was) a regular and widely-used measure amongst those handling vast amounts of data.

I spent much of the '90s developing the computing systems to acquire, process, archive and distribute satellite image data. The LoC was in regular use amongst my clients and other colleagues in the field as a measure of the size of our datasets.

Back in the day when the Simpsons was still funny, there was this funny quote from the news anchor, Kent Brockman:

Did you know that 34 million American adults are obese? Putting together that excess blubber would fill the Grand Canyon two fifths of the way up.

I figure american media uses grand canyon size analogies. I particularly like the obscure fraction they used to make any attempted visualisation even more pointless.

Not nearly as meaningless as football pitches to those who don't watch football.

Well, watching it on the tele won't help. Playing it will, though, easy to visualise a football pitch. And, it is useful for a lot of people because a heck of a lot of people play / attend football matches.

With the amount of money you are saving by renting, why don't you splash out on a local game? :D

It's daft isn't it?

An aeroplane is flying at five thousand feet, so, 5,000/185=27.02 Nelson's columns, except that's wrong as the official height of Nelson's Column is 185 feet, but the actual height is 169 feet, so the aeroplane is actually flying at an altitude of 29.58 Nelson's Columns :rolleyes:.

http://www.dailymail...loses-16ft.html

But is that the altitude or the height at which the aeroplane is flying. Indeed, it might well be at flight level 50.

But is that the altitude or the height at which the aeroplane is flying. Indeed, it might well be at flight level 50.

You're quite right. We should scrap QNH, QFE, FLs and work in NCs off a suitably calibrated radalt, much easier :D.

Is that an SU-26 in your avatar?

You're quite right. We should scrap QNH, QFE, FLs and work in NCs off a suitably calibrated radalt, much easier :D.

Is that an SU-26 in your avatar?

The avatar is Rare Bear a Grumman Bearcat with a warmed up Wright 3350.

List of unusual units of measurement

I remember an amusing discussion on Slashdot when the Library of Congress went online, and someone asked: 'How many "Libraries of Congress" of information was that?'. It turned out, according to one wag, that according to the usual convention, the Library of Congress took up 2.2 Libraries of Congress worth of data storage.

The speed of light is 'roughly 1.8 terafurlongs per fortnight'... I'm going to be finding every excuse to slip that one into casual conversation! :lol:

Nice toy :).

I've just realise that we should have altimeters with the subscale in American football pitches or English football pitches instead of inches or millibars :D Keep it all consistent, like.

Well, watching it on the tele won't help. Playing it will, though, easy to visualise a football pitch. And, it is useful for a lot of people because a heck of a lot of people play / attend football matches.

With the amount of money you are saving by renting, why don't you splash out on a local game? :D

Do people actually pay to watch a load of chavs spitting?

Why do footballers spit so much?

I believe most football pitches are about 100m in length. Most people even cannot visualise 20m, much less 100m, so saying something is 400mx100m is meaningless.

There is a FIFA or maybe UEFA standard pitch size. But I think the rules mean that a football pitch can technically be almost square (so long as it is 1m longer than wide).

Most girls I know that I have taken behind the goal always comment on how wide it is.

I just had to answer my own question. Wikipedia says the volume of the observable Universe is 3.38×10^80 cubic metres, so given that Google says 1 cubic metre is 27.4961447 Imperial bushels, then the Universe is about 9.29369691 × 10^81 bushels.

(Just to make it simpler, I shall create a new unit of measurement. I henceforth define the volume of the Universe to be a single "Durch", and from now on all volumes should be expressed in it, for example this family-sized coke bottle is 5.91715975 × 10^-84 Durches, or 6 Yoctoyoctoyoctopicodurches.)

The more I think about it, the more I wonder how we've managed without the Durch all this time.

"Excuse me, bartender -- three yoctoyoctoyoctopicodurches of my usual, please."

Trips off the tongue, doesn't it? :)