House Price Crash Forum

"house Prices Pushed Up By Outsiders"

HOLA441

"House prices pushed up by outsiders" I've read this a few times I've even written it as I beleive it to be the case where I live.

Seems what the places that suffer from this phenomena have in common is lowish wages and high house prices - i.e. a ratio of around 9+ times salary.

I live in West Cornwall and have noticed EA ads with wording such as 'seaside town', 'close to beaches' i.e. they are not marketing them to local people. This even goes for not particularly interesting terraced houses.

Just wondered how many other people felt this was the case in their area.

Just as a postscript - it's not like I'm saying this is a local place for local people! Half the people who live around here aren't born and bred. It's the way I see my area being turned into a theme park/retirees haven at the cost of anybody who grew up here.

Edited by surfgatinho

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
If you can't afford to live in a beautiful tourist area then you should move.

Yes , I'm sure you'd be saying this if it was Russian billionaires buying up your neck of the woods.

Pure capitalism - b*ll*cks to communities, culture and tradition.

Strangely enough people don't like being forced out of the area they grew up in, their parents and grand parents grew up in so they can go and live in a slum somewhere.

I can see your point if we were talking about housing association tennants getting houses overlooking St Ives Bay but we're talking about people who work as hard as any one in the South East

HOLA447
Why do lowly paid locals assume they have the right to buy a house in a beautiful seaside town? Why shouldn't I, if I wanted to, buy a property to use as and when I want.

It's not just the seaside towns though.

In Cornwall for example, seaside property has always been too expensive for locals.

However, now almost all properties regardless of location are outrageously expensive.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I don't know the figures, but a guesstimate would be that this is just bubble spin.

OK, I would be prepared to accept that the rise in prices in the UK could be attributed to a new paradigm of lots of wealthy foreigners buying UK property. Accept that when we look at where this wealth could come from?

America?

France?

Australia?

UAE?

We see that these countries have themselves experienced massive property price booms. Russia is a red herring because officially Russia's economy is smaller than Holland's, it just simply doesn't generate enough wealth to make a material countrywide difference. A few magnates buying in Kensington doesn't really impact in Devon. Having worked with the Japanese for years, their investment appetite would very unlikely extend to individuals buying in a far off land. The German economy is doing really rather badly, and I don't see many Germans with 2nd homes in the Lake District.

EVen if money was coming from the US or France as examples (attracted in by recent massive returns), then its all robbing Peter to pay Paul, and simply a return cash flow from Brits buying houses to the surprise of the locals in Gers and Naples, (The Florida one). Its all just shopkeepers buying from shopkeepers in a pyramid fashion.

I think we should all consider buying in interior Iceland. The ground is high to avoid rising sea levels and it will enjoy a pleasant climate by 2050 (probably).

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Why do lowly paid locals assume they have the right to buy a house in a beautiful seaside town? Why shouldn't I, if I wanted to, buy a property to use as and when I want.

well if locals have to move to make space for holiday outsiders the result is always the death of the town. theres no one left to work in the supermarket, garage or local businesses.

also, all the home care they would be able to give to parents ect leaves with them, leaving the state to pick up the task on our poll tax bill.

its a false economy in the long term. but we will all have to pay the price of a few lucky individuals and there pampered lives.

HOLA4412
Russia is a red herring because officially Russia's economy is smaller than Holland's, it just simply doesn't generate enough wealth to make a material countrywide difference. A few magnates buying in Kensington doesn't really impact in Devon.

Maybe you should try going to one of the Russian music events in London. There are tens of thousands of wealthy, attractive Russians girls about. Londoners have to take a cold shower or move to Cornwall just to calm down.

I think the 'officially' in your post may explain why the Russian economy is a teensty bit understated.

HOLA4413

There may be some sarcasm in the above post, I can't tell...

The locals do often complain about incomers, but as has been said, have no objection making a quick buck from selling to them.

The Isle of Skye now has a majority of English-born residents. Very few are resented, usually only the ones who set about trying to turn the area into a little piece of Surrey.

HOLA4414

Meibion Glyndwr's (Sons of Glendower's) house / business / caravan burning came to a stop in the late 80s.

In my part of Ceredigion, quite a few FTBs used to be able to earn enough to support themselves on ordinary local wages, and buy a local property quite easily, up until the mid-late 90s. OK, you didn't exactly live a life of luxury if you made that choice, but the choice was there. As things stand, they cannot do that anymore - most have no option other than to leave their communities and families. The people who buy the FTB properties now tend to be second-homers - indeed, most of the ex-council houses in the local village are now second homes!

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4415
"House prices pushed up by outsiders" I've read this a few times I've even written it as I beleive it to be the case where I live.

Seems what the places that suffer from this phenomena have in common is lowish wages and high house prices - i.e. a ratio of around 9+ times salary.

I live in West Cornwall and have noticed EA ads with wording such as 'seaside town', 'close to beaches' i.e. they are not marketing them to local people. This even goes for not particularly interesting terraced houses.

Just wondered how many other people felt this was the case in their area.

Just as a postscript - it's not like I'm saying this is a local place for local people! Half the people who live around here aren't born and bred. It's the way I see my area being turned into a theme park/retirees haven at the cost of anybody who grew up here.

Turn it to your advantage then!

Train as an electrician/plumber/roofer. Then charge £200.00 per hour!

They will think they got a bargain if they are from London area! :lol::lol: