House Price Crash Forum

Unions Reject £39K / 35Hr Wk Steering A Vehicle

Sledgehead

HOLA441

£39,000 doesn't seem an enormous salary in a country where the average house costs £160,000.

Nobody would give a damn about them getting £39,000 or twice that if their chief concern was driving trains rather than going on strike at the behest of Rob Crowe.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

No, he hasn't.

How can you be so certain? I said "maybe".

Besides, what you are talking about is theft. Assume you are 40, I am 60 and your old man is 80. I drive him to get a tin of beans from the supermarket. He pays me £X. When I'm 80 I ask you to return the favour by accepting the £X to take me to get some beans from the supermarket. Is it right that you can say "make it £2X and it's a deal" (all else being equal)?

HOLA444

How can you be so certain? I said "maybe".

Besides, what you are talking about is theft. Assume you are 40, I am 60 and your old man is 80. I drive him to get a tin of beans from the supermarket. He pays me £X. When I'm 80 I ask you to return the favour by accepting the £X to take me to get some beans from the supermarket. Is it right that you can say "make it £2X and it's a deal" (all else being equal)?

Yep.

HOLA445

yes, yes, yes - you are dead right. WTF do these drivers think they are up to?

I believe the only thing keeping them in a job is the lousey method of awarding contracts to the operators. Same is true of the train operators inability to avaoid collisions etc.

As much as I think 39k for this job is successive......and in the current job market I have no doubt people would be lining up to do this job for the London minimum wage. Two points though, firstly these jobs are usually golden spoons given to friends of existing employees, or friends of friends of the managers in the train company etc.

Second point is, if these train drivers are feeling that 39k isn't enough to get them a middle class lifestyle in London anymore perhaps it's showing the effect of inflation. And imagine how bad the rest of us are who aren't earning as much as them? After all we are all striving to get a comfortable lifestyle.

This probably also reflects on public sector workers as I'm sure half of them don't work nearly as hard as private sector workers. Though I'm sure some public sector workers are very hard working as some jobs are just designed to be non stop like being on phone support, being a nurse or doctor.

But the administrative side of the public sector is the second biggest elephant in the room next to HPI/ the whole debt based money system etc. As I commented in another thread a lot of public sector IT projects run into 100s of millions and I know enough about IT to know it should be costing 10% of that if it's a logistical project with software and databases rather than a mass layout of hardware and even then I cant see it hitting 100 million pounds I mean that IS funny money.

HOLA446

You can't expect to be taken seriously if you post something as daft as that without a link to the source :lol::rolleyes:

"Note that being classified as "junior" or "senior" has nothing to do with flying skills or experience. If Captain Sully were to start work today at a regional airline, he would earn between $16,000 and $20,000 per year, depending on the carrier."

Source : Unions & Airlines

Now who's daft?

HOLA447
HOLA448

As much as I think 39k for this job is successive......and in the current job market I have no doubt people would be lining up to do this job for the London minimum wage. Two points though, firstly these jobs are usually golden spoons given to friends of existing employees, or friends of friends of the managers in the train company etc.

Second point is, if these train drivers are feeling that 39k isn't enough to get them a middle class lifestyle in London anymore perhaps it's showing the effect of inflation. And imagine how bad the rest of us are who aren't earning as much as them? After all we are all striving to get a comfortable lifestyle.

This probably also reflects on public sector workers as I'm sure half of them don't work nearly as hard as private sector workers. Though I'm sure some public sector workers are very hard working as some jobs are just designed to be non stop like being on phone support, being a nurse or doctor.

But the administrative side of the public sector is the second biggest elephant in the room next to HPI/ the whole debt based money system etc. As I commented in another thread a lot of public sector IT projects run into 100s of millions and I know enough about IT to know it should be costing 10% of that if it's a logistical project with software and databases rather than a mass layout of hardware and even then I cant see it hitting 100 million pounds I mean that IS funny money.

Agree with much of that, especially the bold bit. Don't know exactly who they use now but before its appropriate and very public shaming, Anderson Consulting always seemed to get a foot in the door. Why the hell they ever needed these management consultants I'll never know. Any decent software engineer should have sufficient skills to define the scope of a project, design it and set a schedule.

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA449

A must watch song.

Almost as bad. :o

One of the reasons the overcrowded trains can charge what they like is because they don't require any extra business, they are overcrowded enough......we are almost as bad, not a very pleasant experience. :ph34r:

HOLA4410

Agree with much of that, especially the bold bit. Don't know exactly who they use now but before its appropriate and very public shaming, Anderson Consulting always seemed to get a foot in the door. Why the hell they ever needed these management consultants I'll never know. Any decent software engineer should have sufficient skills to define the scope of a project, design it and set a schedule.

No, again you're over-simplifying. A competent Software Engineer might have the technical skills, but huge projects such as a new DVLA database also require a lot of skills they don't have. Like how to talk to normal people and make the system that they can use effectively.

Oh, and Anderson Consulting don't exist any more.

HOLA4411

Let's wait til you are the guy wanting to be driven shall we? 'Til then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

It's a simple offer of a contract.

The fact that you've had a previous deal has nothing to do with the next one.

And contracts can be refused. No one has to do anything for you.

HOLA4412

It's a simple offer of a contract.

The fact that you've had a previous deal has nothing to do with the next one.

And contracts can be refused. No one has to do anything for you.

Injin says..."Big Society can go fish"