House Price Crash Forum
Sledgehead

Unions Reject £39K / 35Hr Wk Steering A Vehicle

... but there certainly is wage inflation. The deal, rejected by train 'drivers' - I used that term loosely - represents 12% over 2 years, ie 5.8%, or 0.7% above RPI and 1.8% above CPI.

link to story that presages the strike action occuring today.

If we can drop bombs in Afghanistan by wire, why do these trains need a driver anyhow?

Edited by Sledgehead

... but there certainly is wage inflation. The deal, rejected by train 'drivers' - I used that term loosely - represents 12% over 2 years, ie 5.8%, or 0.7% above RPI and 1.8% above CPI.

If we can drop bombs in Afghanistan by wire, why do these trains need a driver anyhow?

Most people probably exercise more skill driving to work thatn these train drivers do in their jobs.

BTW I heard that some US airline pilots are paid as little as $13,000 a year and have to moonlight to make ends meet.

Most people probably exercise more skill driving to work thatn these train drivers do in their jobs.

BTW I heard that some US airline pilots are paid as little as $13,000 a year and have to moonlight to make ends meet.

yes, yes, yes - you are dead right. WTF do these drivers think they are up to?

I believe the only thing keeping them in a job is the lousey method of awarding contracts to the operators. Same is true of the train operators inability to avaoid collisions etc.

Good on them, really.

nothing wrong with striking, nothing wrong with getting the best deal available. I can't see anyone getting atacked here so I fail to see any issue.

Injin +1

this is a matter for drivers and management. I think they are cutting their own throats long-term but in the here and now they have every right to try to get the best deal they can

Good on them, really.

nothing wrong with striking, nothing wrong with getting the best deal available. I can't see anyone getting atacked here so I fail to see any issue.

travelled to work on a train recently? Wonder where your salary is going? Tell the boss it's wage rises for you or you can't pay the fares? Joined the wage price spiral? Cheering the steady acceleration in inflation? C'mon Injin, you know where this is leading.

Everyone knows where it is going but this is a classic individual versus society problem.

We need house prices to crash but we don't want our own house to fall. Same with wages

in the long run they will automate trains and we won't have to deal with these unions but don't blame the union for trying to get the best deal for their members that is their job

travelled to work on a train recently? Wonder where your salary is going? Tell the boss it's wage rises for you or you can't pay the fares? Joined the wage price spiral? Cheering the steady acceleration in inflation? C'mon Injin, you know where this is leading.

For better conditions for train drivers?

If you can't afford the train, don't take it. No one owes you a train ride.

Nothing wrong with striking, nothing wrong with negotiation.

Good on them, really.

Maybe it's time the passengers went on strike!!!

Thieving ****s

If you can't afford the train, don't take it. No one owes you a train ride.

Nothing wrong with striking, nothing wrong with negotiation.

It's not that simple though, is it? If you live in a town where lots of people drive or take the train to commute to a highly paid job in another town, that will push up rents. In the end you may be forced to commute too if it is the only way you can afford to pay for shelter.

There are lots of examples of this kind of effect. All of your neighbours buy cars, food shopping moves to out-of-town supermarkets, you end up having to buy a car too whether you wanted to or not. As people move to cars, bus fares become more expensive due to shrinking economies of scale.

Of course, you can always choose, if you can afford it. That's a pretty big if though.

Jayzus. They have both hands free as it is. Do you suggest employers need to lay on the w@nk mags too?

Still, I guess their point would be that with 3 days free a week, they spend anything from a half to twice as much time on the golf course, and it don't come cheap! :rolleyes:

Jayzus. They have both hands free as it is. Do you suggest employers need to lay on the w@nk mags too?

Still, I guess their point would be that with 3 days free a week, they spend anything from a half to twice as much time on the golf course, and it don't come cheap! :rolleyes:

So what?

It's a matter between them and the employer. If they get a billion quid an hour and back rubs from supermodels, the trains will soon stop running as the firsm go bust.

Theres nothing wrong with this process whatsoever.

It's not that simple though, is it? If you live in a town where lots of people drive or take the train to commute to a highly paid job in another town, that will push up rents. In the end you may be forced to commute too if it is the only way you can afford to pay for shelter.

That's not a problem caused by train drivers, that's caused by the fact the land and housing market is an extortion ring.

There are lots of examples of this kind of effect. All of your neighbours buy cars, food shopping moves to out-of-town supermarkets, you end up having to buy a car too whether you wanted to or not. As people move to cars, bus fares become more expensive due to shrinking economies of scale.

Of course, you can always choose, if you can afford it. That's a pretty big if though.

Blaming people for coping with a rigged system is kinda numb. Blame the rigging.

Exactly. The cure for higher prices is higher prices.

so if I were a student living on a sink estate with 80% unemployment in the local area, wanting desperately to study engineering, and the nearest course was ~10 miles away, what affect would my "striking" achieve?

Good on them, really.

You are Casey Jones, I claim my £5.

so if I were a student living on a sink estate with 80% unemployment in the local area, wanting desperately to study engineering, and the nearest course was ~10 miles away, what affect would my "striking" achieve?

bmx_bikes_on_sale.jpg

So what?

It's a matter between them and the employer. If they get a billion quid an hour and back rubs from supermodels, the trains will soon stop running as the firsm go bust.

well, apart from taxpayer subsidies when the contractors pass on their losses.

The cure for higher prices is higher prices.

More seriously, take a look at Mercedes S-Class. The latest versions will virtually drive themselves. In the FREE MARKET, technology is making chuaffeurs redundant. And chauffering is far more skilled than train driving.

Given that individual cars and plains can now be operated by technology, do you not find it odd that in the world of the train, cars continue to be struck on level crossing whilst 'drivers' demand £39k for a 35hr week?

I suggest to you that here is no free market in the train business, and becasue of that, high prices can not be relied upon to be a cure for high prices.

So what?

I think you'll find that train drivers got a billion zim$ an hour in Zimbabwe. Still, if that's the kind of economy you want ...

Edited by Sledgehead