House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dr Elk

Dealing Directly With Vendor

If you're making an offer, is there any reason to submit it to the estate agent, rather than just dealing directly with the vendor? Pro's & con's?

If the house is on with an estate agent, the vendor will be contractually obliged to sell through them. Contracts are usually for about 12 weeks I think, so if the house hasn't sold in that period and you let the vendor know you'd be interested in a private deal after their contract with the EA has finished, I can't see a problem with it.

I sold a flat independently in 2000; the jungle drums went around the village that I was thinking of selling and I got a knock on my door expressing interest. I got three valuations from estate agents, went with the middle valuation for fair pricing and split the difference on the money saved on EA commission with the buyer. I talked to an EA touting for business during the transaction who told me I was making a 'fatal error', I needed an EA's expertise to get the sale through. Not so. I used a friend of the family for conveyancing and the sale went through effortlessly.

If you're making an offer, is there any reason to submit it to the estate agent, rather than just dealing directly with the vendor? Pro's & con's?

Pro: Negotiation could be quicker

Con: Some people might feel uncomfortable dealing directly

Either way the EA get's his commission.

If the house is on with an estate agent, the vendor will be contractually obliged to sell through them. Contracts are usually for about 12 weeks I think, so if the house hasn't sold in that period and you let the vendor know you'd be interested in a private deal after their contract with the EA has finished, I can't see a problem with it.

I sold a flat independently in 2000; the jungle drums went around the village that I was thinking of selling and I got a knock on my door expressing interest. I got three valuations from estate agents, went with the middle valuation for fair pricing and split the difference on the money saved on EA commission with the buyer. I talked to an EA touting for business during the transaction who told me I was making a 'fatal error', I needed an EA's expertise to get the sale through. Not so. I used a friend of the family for conveyancing and the sale went through effortlessly.

If you view the house via the estae agent then the vendor is obliged to pay commission irrespective of the sale agreement expiring. These agreements all contain clauses that assert that commission is due on the sale from a buyer intrduced by the estate agent.

Pro: Negotiation could be quicker

Con: Some people might feel uncomfortable dealing directly

Either way the EA get's his commission.

The scenario I'm imaging is one where you seem a place through rightmove, so the agent would get a cut whatever. I would have thought people would be more comfortable with dealing direct, than a slimy high pressure salesman. Although there is something to be said for making the negotiations detached via a 3rd party.

If you view the house via the estae agent then the vendor is obliged to pay commission irrespective of the sale agreement expiring. These agreements all contain clauses that assert that commission is due on the sale from a buyer intrduced by the estate agent.

How to prove that you were introduced through an EA and not on your own volition? You can see a property advertised by an EA but not arrange a viewing. You have not been introduced by anyone to the vendor.

How to prove that you were introduced through an EA and not on your own volition? You can see a property advertised by an EA but not arrange a viewing. You have not been introduced by anyone to the vendor.

I did say "via" the estate agent.

If you see a property advertised on the internet or a board outside a house you like the look of....what is stopping anyone knocking on the door or putting a note through the letter box.....a seller requires a sale after all, they shouldn't be too fussy about where it comes from... ;)

If you see a property advertised on the internet or a board outside a house you like the look of....what is stopping anyone knocking on the door or putting a note through the letter box.....a seller requires a sale after all, they shouldn't be too fussy about where it comes from... ;)

Nothing to stop you but the seller is still contractually obliged to pay a fee to the EA so no great advantage to them.

How would you have known it was for sale without their advertising?

Nothing to stop you but the seller is still contractually obliged to pay a fee to the EA so no great advantage to them.

How would you have known it was for sale without their advertising?

We did a leaflet drop ourselves to a specific number of properties that we would be interested in .....

We had some response to that leaflet drop - and one of the people who replied was at the time not on the market. The property was not "ideal" hence we are still considering it and the cost of work needed to bring it back up... in meantime that person has now put property on market with an agent.

We are still biding our time - as it has been advertised higher than it was bought for back in 2007 .... and it is in nowhere near the condition it was in back then - (current owner admitted that when we looked round and discussed condition of kitchen....) as it needs work doing in kitchen and throughout. We have not spoken to the agent now handling the sale - other than to take his call when he rang to tell us he had a new "hot property that would suit us" .... .. We do at least have a trail of messages etc between us and the guy who owns property, that pre-date when the agents were instructed to show we were talking to him before he marketed it with agent. (we also wanted to wait until it was marketed with agent to gauge where to offer - as the initial conversation over price was that the owner sensibly acknowledged the market had fallen - and that a fall where he was selling would be reflected in the price where he was moving too.... yet when he gave us an initial price for a private sale he managed to increase his price above what he had paid - despite condition - a week later he seemed to have forgotten the conversation he had had with us over possible price levels once he had had 2 or 3 agents round .... .....

So we have not given up on him we are just biding our time and treading water for a week or two .

Said seller has contacted us today to see if we are still interested in his property - so he seems keen to sell - just needs to be realistic on his price then we might bite.