House Price Crash Forum

Let's Talk Free Computer Games

pl1

HOLA441
HOLA442

Xcom 1 is good. Chrysallids are a nightmare though. I remember playing it on the amiga 500 took 22 minutes PER TURN for small combat missions. Terror missions and base raids would take up to an hour per turn.I STILL managed to complete the game though, it took me a very long time.

Xcom 2 TFTD is less good namely as it is insanely hard and time after time you get mind controlled your squadie with the torpedo gun then turns round and fires into your crowd. Xcom 2 was effectively the superhuman difficulty level of xcom 1 on the easiest difficulty level. Computer cheats all the time. Ammo is limited and casulties for the first 20 weeks for your forces run into the 1000s (I'm not kidding)

Xcom apocalypse is pretty good also works a charm on dos box (needs a lot of work arounds though) it is less unfair than the above games.

Syndicate again played on the amiga back in 1996 this was obsene I remember exterminating an entire town with flame throwers, people run around on fire.

Syndicate wars is technically superior but is less fun.

Fragile allegence the remake of K240, it is nail bitingly tense but extremely difficult to win any level as the computer constantly moves. It is fun for a while until you realise the ONLY way to win is to build 15 nuclear bombs for each enemy asteroid and 1000s of other missiles overwhelm the missile defences and perform a simualtaneous decapitation strike on EVERY single enemy asteroid at the same time.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Chrysalids are only scary until you get the flying power armour, then they are easy. Heavy Plasma guns get rid of them easily. In XCOM2 it's all underwater so the Chrysalid-equivalent can swim up to you, bad news!

Woo, XCOM1, still gives me the shivers, what an atmospheric game! Must find a way to download it - more hours of my life lost.

HOLA446

An entirely free but not old (although it looks it) game that I have wasted a lot of time on in the last year or so is Dwarf Fortress. Very highly recommended for anyone who likes games as complicated as possible (as well as being surprisngly gory for something that has no graphics to speak of). Someone has built a working computer in it. I've settled for a few levers and pumps to pour magma down the stairs on anything nasty coming up them (and anything friendly stupid enough to get in the way). Although there must be something seriously wrong with any game where players often end up butchering puppys and kittens, partially for food and leather, but mostly to stop the game grinding to a crawl. There's also something rather satisfying about beating attackers back with crossbow bolts made out of the bones of the losers of their last attack.

HOLA447

Chrysalids are only scary until you get the flying power armour, then they are easy. Heavy Plasma guns get rid of them easily. In XCOM2 it's all underwater so the Chrysalid-equivalent can swim up to you, bad news!

Woo, XCOM1, still gives me the shivers, what an atmospheric game! Must find a way to download it - more hours of my life lost.

Yeah but flying armour came very late in the game, you had to survive all sorts of horrors before you got a decent squad together which could survive, even then you had to get rid of good soldiers due to their psi ratings. Lest they get mind controlled turn round and fire a launcher rocket into your squad. I mean smegging hell you have to play almost the first month with just pistols and rifles. Xcom 2 was just completely unfair, lobstermen that could suck grenades in their faces and laugh at you. Flying chrisalids, ridiculous psi abuse. smaller ammo clips and it was oh so dark everywhere and your rookies were oh so weak! I will never forget the first terror mission with them. I had just gotten around the landing gear of the jetranger. One rookie gets zombied. Another one panics and fires his auto cannon into my men killing the zombie. Hurrah! except another hatches out and proceeds to wipe out my entire squad I even lose the jetranger! :o

A good tactic was to load up a rookie with grenades, prime one of them and have the backpack filled with more grenades a mix of flame and proxy mines were best he gets bitten boom. The flame kills the incubated chysallid.

HOLA448

Yep.. great game! would look pretty rubbish on modern screens though, no? Seriously low resolution :unsure:

Two games I would love to see re-made are:

UFO: Enemy Unknown (Xcom 1)

Tie Fighter

:D

As for my free game contribution.. "Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory" is the webs best kept secret IMHO. Based on the engine from "Return To Castle Wolfenstein" it is a fantastic online first person shooter. You run around in a team as either a soldier, medic, engineer or spy and attempt to defeat your foe. Online only though.. no off line maps.

Here's a screen shot:

0.jpg8777-wolfestein_et_super.jpget.jpg

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Tie Fighter

That was absolutely brilliant, and it's sad that there haven't been similar SW games for a while. Getting all the bonus mission objectives on some missions was damned near impossible.

As for my free game contribution.. "Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory" is the webs best kept secret IMHO. Based on the engine from "Return To Castle Wolfenstein" it is a fantastic online first person shooter. You run around in a team as either a soldier, medic, engineer or spy and attempt to defeat your foe. Online only though.. no off line maps.

I used to play that a lot until it appeared to get infested with cheaters who could reliably kill you from half way across the map with a couple of shots the second you stuck your head in view.

HOLA4411

The classic Mac first person game series Marathon, Marathon 2: Durandal and Marathon Infinity are available on Mac, Linux and PC for free here (with improved graphics).

I used to play them on my old PowerBook 1400 about 10 years ago.

I find them far too addictive to have installed on my PC.

HOLA4412

That was absolutely brilliant, and it's sad that there haven't been similar SW games for a while. Getting all the bonus mission objectives on some missions was damned near impossible.

All the old space sims were good.. wing commander, x-wing, tie fighter.. they just need updating :(

I used to play that a lot until it appeared to get infested with cheaters who could reliably kill you from half way across the map with a couple of shots the second you stuck your head in view.

Not played for a while.. I seem to remember some servers are better than others. You need one with Punkbuster enabled and preferably where there are mods to watch out for spawn killing and cheating.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I finished X-com1 again last year, it took me surprisingly little time albeit on intermediate difficulty. I recall on the Playstation you could fire the guided torpedo through lifts making killing the final alien brain very easy. Not so on the PC.

The X-wing series of games were just fantastic, I'll never forget playing X-Wing for the first time with a joystick and Soundblaster card... probably cost me a degree grade, or was that Doom?

Those who loved Elite can look at Oolite which has an open source version of the game, same gameplay but with new graphics and user-written missions. Who can get to Reidquat with a basic Cobra? B)

HOLA4415

Those who loved Elite can look at Oolite which has an open source version of the game, same gameplay but with new graphics and user-written missions. Who can get to Reidquat with a basic Cobra? B)

I'd hope I can, given my name :) Anyway, it's easy enough in Oolite - move off sideways when you leave hyperspace and approach the planet from a different direction. Elite-A, on the other hand...

Elite-A was a messed-around with version of the original BBC B Elite, giving you the opportunity to buy other ships, and adding a few other interesting little bits and bobs (special cargo contracts, some different equipment, new ships - one of the Oolite OXPs has a couple of them in it). It also made other ships quite a bit tougher, and started you off in a real dire vessel, without any armament whatsoever. It's free to download somewhere, although obviously it needs a suitable emulator and an ability to put up with 1980s graphics.

HOLA4416

I'd hope I can, given my name :) Anyway, it's easy enough in Oolite - move off sideways when you leave hyperspace and approach the planet from a different direction. Elite-A, on the other hand...

Elite-A was a messed-around with version of the original BBC B Elite, giving you the opportunity to buy other ships, and adding a few other interesting little bits and bobs (special cargo contracts, some different equipment, new ships - one of the Oolite OXPs has a couple of them in it). It also made other ships quite a bit tougher, and started you off in a real dire vessel, without any armament whatsoever. It's free to download somewhere, although obviously it needs a suitable emulator and an ability to put up with 1980s graphics.

Continuing on the elite theme, it could be argued that EVE is free.

Or at least it's very easy to make the 300Misk or so a month to buy a plex.

The 2 weeks free trail play probably isn’t enough for the first one (although people have done it) so you'd have to pay one month subs, but after that it's easy enough.

HOLA4417

Not free, but I used to checkout gamestation for cheap games.

Once picked up Far Cry for 99p and it was only 2 years old as a game at the time. I tend to play a lot of the old stuff under emulation.

Can't see the point of spending £40 on a game and having to have a high-spec pc to be able to run it properly.

HOLA4418

Not sure if it's abandonware or not, but I still occasionally play Civilisation 2. I don't know what it is about that game, it's certainly not the graphics, but I guess it's the strategy and gameplay. None of the sequels have ever quite matched that one in my opinion.

Thanks for reminding me of elite. I used to love that. That's me sorted until summer.

HOLA4419

Archived