House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

Oman : Deaths In Oman Protests

Previous Protest:

When : Friday 25th Feb, after prayers

Where : Ruwi, Oman

Duration : ~1hr

Nature : Peaceful

Size : ~300

Taking part : Men & Women

Demands : some - “we want democracy”, others -“more pay and jobs.”

Arrests : none

Deaths : none

Casualties : none

Latest Protest

When : Sunday 27th Feb

Where : industrial town of Sohar, Oman

Duration : ?

Nature : Violent, rubber bullets, tear gas

Size : "Hundreds" (BBC)

Taking part : "from all over the country"

Demands : political reforms

Arrests : ?

Deaths : 2 reported

Casualties : ?

Deaths in Oman protests

Oman clashes: Two killed during protests in Gulf state

Protesters tear-gassed from helicopter in Sohar

Oman's supposed Stability : o na par with Saudi Arabia (The Economist). Not reviewed by Moneyweek in recent review.

can't help but think it matters not one way nor tother inflationwise what happens. Outright supression is off the cards in all thse states. That leaves overthrow or massive wage inflation. In plan A, the terms of trade for oil change cos the incoming lot will give the peeps more handouts, which need to be paid for. In plan B, ... well, like I say, it don't much matter.

I was in Sohar the year before last and it seemed a fairly prosperous place, I didn't see any real hardship, there weren't beggars around and housing was of a reasonably good standard. I guess the unrest has just now developed a momentum of its own.

I was in Sohar the year before last and it seemed a fairly prosperous place, I didn't see any real hardship, there weren't beggars around and housing was of a reasonably good standard. I guess the unrest has just now developed a momentum of its own.

Just take a look at the earlier story:

"The sultanate increased the salary for national workers active in the private sector to 200 rials ($520) per month from 140 rials, the Oman News Agency (ONA) said this week."

42% salary increase sounds like a lot, right? However in the same story ....

"Food prices and other commodities have gone up twice in price in the last three years… the increase is not enough,” student Mohammed Hashil told Reuters.

Governments think they can print their way out of crises. Trouble is the people start thinking the same.

"Food prices and other commodities have gone up twice in price in the last three years… the increase is not enough,” student Mohammed Hashil told Reuters.[/color]

Governments think they can print their way out of crises. Trouble is the people start thinking the same.

Same scale of inflation will hit here if they carry on.

Just take a look at the earlier story:

"The sultanate increased the salary for national workers active in the private sector to 200 rials ($520) per month from 140 rials, the Oman News Agency (ONA) said this week."

42% salary increase sounds like a lot, right? However in the same story ....

"Food prices and other commodities have gone up twice in price in the last three years… the increase is not enough,” student Mohammed Hashil told Reuters.

I spoke to a friend last week who is familiar with every country in the Middle East.

Asked where would be the very last country to see protests from the contagion, his exact words were: "Oman, without a doubt. It's something of an oasis with a benevolent leader.

I believe a Day of Rage is being organised in Saudi on March 11th. I will fill the tank up and two fifty gallon drums before that date.

I can't really speak about general inflation in Oman, I did enjoy filling my car up with petrol for £8 though. It certainly wasn't poor by comparison to many other places I've been to. I reckon Russians will kick off once the snows melt.

I agree, Oman is probably the least likely place to kick off. I mean. the country is so big and all you have is crazy miles of road and more roads. and then you hit a settlement, around an oasis or omani fort.

Love those crazy roundabouts that make you think, didn't I just pass that one about 15 minutes ago...lol