House Price Crash Forum
SleepyHead

Internet Shutdown

Wanted to start a thread on this, and welcome any of your views.

The possibility that the governments/companies that own/run key elements of the internet might wish to shut communication down to hide their abuse of power.

• This could involve shutdown of social networks like facebook, twitter etc. (As in Eygpt etc)
  • Virus attack into forums like this.

I know very little on this, so I hope some of you can enlighten me. Obviously we should talk about this before anything happens. :ph34r:

Last I heard Facebook is now owned by Goldman Sachs. :( Worrying.

The possibility that the governments/companies that own/run key elements of the internet might wish to shut communication down to hide their abuse of power.

• This could involve shutdown of social networks like facebook, twitter etc. (As in Eygpt etc)

I know very little on this, so I hope some of you can enlighten me. Obviously we should talk about this before anything happens. :ph34r:

With all of the methods of communication nowadays it would be more of an inconvenience than a complete 'block'.

Broadband Internet, dial-up, mobile, landline, etc.

There was a story last week, from Egypt I believe, that Google had a service you could call and talk which then converted this into an Internet post. I'm not sure where they ended up but they were out there...somewhere.

The only way I could see a total block would be for every world power to be in cahoots and agree to it, seeing as most of them hate each other, or at least a large number of them, it's unlikely to happen.

Since HMG has largely gone over to using internet portals for most of its revenue generating activities such as Income Tax Assesment, VAT, DVLA etc this might pose it with a bit of a funding problem if it was done for more than a brief period (most of the corporate sector is in the same boat). The state simply does not have the local infrastructure of offices, staff etc to run the country without its electronic props and that situation is getting ever more entrenched as the Coalition scythes through what is left of the old control structures. Blocking individual sites might be more feasible as they do in China but the chances are communications would just move elsewhere (revolution might be just as easily inspired on a football forum as a political one). Also worth mentioning that the states apparatus of electronic eaves dropping requires people to use technology otherwise GCHQ will be reduced to steaming open letters and reading them individually which might pose a strain on the security apparatus.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Western nations will eventually go all China on us.

China's golden shield program did not work as advertised as recently as 2008. It was vulnerable to proxies and tunneling services. It was vulnerable to lots of VPNs as well. Today it only works with a few VPNs which are expensive.

China is the test bed for tech which will be applied to all of us, it will be on weasle arguement. Which is incredibly difficult to counter.

You know the kind, ID cards.

What you're against them?

[Give well reasoned arguement against them]

You must have something to hide then....

I can envisage several bad arguments, think of the children! Protecting us from terrorists etc etc....

You are joking, right?

I didn't think anyone with a mental age over 21 used facebook! What's it for?

There are far more secure and private means of communication for grown up people.

Since HMG has largely gone over to using internet portals for most of its revenue generating activities such as Income Tax Assesment, VAT, DVLA etc this might pose it with a bit of a funding problem if it was done for more than a brief period (most of the corporate sector is in the same boat). The state simply does not have the local infrastructure of offices, staff etc to run the country without its electronic props and that situation is getting ever more entrenched as the Coalition scythes through what is left of the old control structures. Blocking individual sites might be more feasible as they do in China but the chances are communications would just move elsewhere (revolution might be just as easily inspired on a football forum as a political one). Also worth mentioning that the states apparatus of electronic eaves dropping requires people to use technology otherwise GCHQ will be reduced to steaming open letters and reading them individually which might pose a strain on the security apparatus.

North Korea has an internal internet, so does China.

The UK government merely has to cut a few bundles of wires under the sea, effectively turning the UK into an intranet of sorts. Almost every website hosted outside the UK will be 404'd meaning the BBC has total media dominance and will spout (more) propaganda about tractor production and ramp house prices daily.

Eventually much like in China people will conform to the new reality. The GFoC works thus, if you search for banned content it will lock you out for 2 minutes. Do it again and it'll lock you out for 4 minutes 8 16 32 etc. Thus overtime the CCP modifies behaviour in such a manner and people won't bother to search for banned content.

Inevitably the internet will become a much more controlled space than it is now. A lot of what we can do fro free now will probably become paid-for in the future - like Times Online has recently become. I think one reason for the absurdly high values being placed on some internet services like Facebook is the expectation of takeovers as internet content concentrates into the hands of big corporations over the coming years. This is the way all other industries have gone in the past - the car industry, food retail, newspapers - you name it......

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

Inevitably the internet will become a much more controlled space than it is now. A lot of what we can do fro free now will probably become paid-for in the future - like Times Online has recently become. I think one reason for the absurdly high values being placed on some internet services like Facebook is the expectation of takeovers as internet content concentrates into the hands of big corporations over the coming years. This is the way all other industries have gone in the past - the car industry, food retail, newspapers - you name it......

let us not forget that Australia is bringing in its own Internet shield - To protect children from paedophiles !!!! I wonder if they have anything else in mind ?

That's nothing

As soon as our Dictatorial Establishment feel like implementing Marshall law on any parts of the UK, they have made sure that all landline & mobile phones are immediately cut off from BT head offices.

Only ones that will work are on 'Military' frequencies.

They will then surround areas/Cities with army/police barricades, blocking every road, not letting anyone in or out.

Coz I regularly speak out about the Masonic/occult Cult they have interrupted my internet connections, cut telephone wires, broken into various residences and sabotaged equipment, send me rigged bills massively overcharging me, take 3 months + to sort out correct council tax, dug up/interfered with/drugged the water supply, put me in a 'rigged' house and electrocuted me in the bath etc etc in the past!

Edited by erranta

Much more likely that the social media sites will be used as a trojan horse. Shutting down the internet would just raise suspsicion, why not simply drip-feed propaganda via a device people are already engaged with. It works with the TV and the newspapers it will also work with web sites.

The irony of orwells 1984 of course is that he could only envisage a totalitarian system being foisted on the masses, in reality that never works long term. Far better to use a device such as modern day telecommunications that people invite in to their houses willingly and what's more they rarely question it. The screens that Orwell predicted being in everybody's house are their ok, but they have asked, nay demanded, that they be there !

let us not forget that Australia is bringing in its own Internet shield - To protect children from paedophiles !!!! I wonder if they have anything else in mind ?

They ought really, to protect peodophobes from children as well. It's only fair.

Perhaps we'll just have to organise a revolution the good old fashioned way using the word of mouth.

To be honest shutting down the internet may cause even more problems as the paranoia levels will increase and you'll have the problem of Chinese whispers.

Much more likely that the social media sites will be used as a trojan horse. Shutting down the internet would just raise suspsicion, why not simply drip-feed propaganda via a device people are already engaged with. It works with the TV and the newspapers it will also work with web sites.

The irony of orwells 1984 of course is that he could only envisage a totalitarian system being foisted on the masses, in reality that never works long term. Far better to use a device such as modern day telecommunications that people invite in to their houses willingly and what's more they rarely question it. The screens that Orwell predicted being in everybody's house are their ok, but they have asked, nay demanded, that they be there !

Why do you think they have got you onto "wireless" everything and are even building it into fridges, blu-ray, TV etc (and are so keen that you provide name and address so they can link the item in question to you) GPS in car sending your whereabouts 24hrs constantly to a 'monitoring' station!

Why do you think they have this "sharing of data" between banks and other big business such as your insurance/medical records etc.

They pretend it's all 'protected' under data protection, yet the biggest abusers (the Orwellian NWO Globalist big businesses) abuse your rights with impunity - telling you stuff that it's for anti-terrorism purposes that they have to 'share' your info.

The same ones who abuse you (say in the House of Lords) hide behind same 'anti-terrorism' laws to prevent freedom of information requests about the 10's thousands acres of land they own and what businesses they own/are affiliated with that might affect their personal 'judgements' on passing new bills/laws.

It's coz they have monitoring satellites that also pick up the signals and they will soon even know everytime you sit down on your throne and let one off!

We should probably consider ourselves priveleged just now as we currently have mostly unrestricted access to this global information system. Its certainly not going to stay this way. We will look back in years to come and reminisce about the good ol days of the internet and how it used to be.

Jeez, there are some nutters on this site!

The uk is the Internet hub for Europe, if they cut our sea cables it would have a devastating effect on the whole Internet, I can't see other countries being happy with us! Also the uk ISP Market is probably the most competitive in the world with so many companies owning infrustructure, you can't just shut it down, there is no giant off button.

Edited by Pauly_Boy

We should probably consider ourselves priveleged just now as we currently have mostly unrestricted access to this global information system. Its certainly not going to stay this way. We will look back in years to come and reminisce about the good ol days of the internet and how it used to be.

They already cut off a huge resource of knowledge and for research which was direct access to colleges/universities online resources which were there for anyone to use in the 80's/90's on BBS etc

Shutting down libraries/access to the 'printed' word!

Deliberate dumbing down of the masses to create the upcoming ruling class.

Why do you think they brought out electronic books called "kindle" (as in material to start burning)

For example the deliberate act by Nazi 'book burning' frenzy was to wipe out past knowledge in all the old german books in their libraries.

Coz the Establishment will be able to erase-change history/cover their evil past deeds, wars, corruption etc to reprogram whole Nations with the flick of a button and a newly rewritten software download! B)

North Korea has an internal internet, so does China.

The UK government merely has to cut a few bundles of wires under the sea, effectively turning the UK into an intranet of sorts. Almost every website hosted outside the UK will be 404'd meaning the BBC has total media dominance and will spout (more) propaganda about tractor production and ramp house prices daily.

Eventually much like in China people will conform to the new reality. The GFoC works thus, if you search for banned content it will lock you out for 2 minutes. Do it again and it'll lock you out for 4 minutes 8 16 32 etc. Thus overtime the CCP modifies behaviour in such a manner and people won't bother to search for banned content.

That won't solve their problem if the Revolution is home grown and sparked off UK footie forums. However, to be honest I think the whole basis of this thread is flawed since it fails to understand how revolts start and regimes fail, It is a western liberal fantasy that the current revolt in the Arab world started on Face book and its ilk. The reality is that most of the countries involved have had simmering discontent amongst their population for some time. What has triggered off the uprisings has been rising food prices, static incomes and declining life opportunites not what people were posting on the Web.. Many of the issues such as the poor treatment of the Shia in Bahrain had been festering for a long time. Easy communications may have eased the revolts spread but word of mouth would have done the job just as well. The European revolts of 1848 spread across the Continent despite wide spread censorship and ancien regimes that packed plenty of muscle in their miltary and state security apparatus. Basically if the status quo is going to collapse then it will generally melt down regardless of how much repression the authorities try to deploy. In fact systems usually fail due to internal contradictions and the inability to prop up the structure of power rather than just to outside forces. The demise of the Soviet Union is a prime example of how it can all unravel. By comparison the internet is trivial. Indeed, one could argue that people bitching on internet forums is a safety valve to allow discontent to be voiced and then dribble away to nothing rather than act as motor for change. I do not think have not read a single thing on the Web that might put me on the streets but should I not be able to feed and cloth my family then you can count that I will be out there rioting with everyone else

Edited by stormymonday_2011

That won't solve there problem if the Revolution is home grown and sparked off UK footie forums. However, to be honest I think the whole basis of this thread is flawed since it fails to understand how revolts start and regimes fail, It is a western liberal fantasy that the current revolt in the Arab world started on Face book and its ilk. The reality is that most of the countries involved have had simmering discontent amongst their population for some time. What has triggered off the uprisings has been rising food prices, static incomes and declining life opportunites not what people were posting on the Web.. Many of the issues such as the poor treatment of the Shia in Bahrain had been festering for a long time. Easy communications may have eased the revolts spread but word of mouth would have done the job just as weel. The European revolts of 1848 spread across the Continent despite wide spread censorship and ancien regimes that packed plenty of muscle in their miltary and state security apparatus. Basically if the status quo is going to collapse then it will generally melt down regardless of how much repression the authorities try to deploy. In fact systems usually fail due to internal contradictions and the inability to prop up the structure of power rather than just to outside forces. The demise of the Soviet Union is a prime example of how it can all unravel. By comparison the internet is trivial. Indeed, one could argue that people bitching on internet forums is a safety valve to allow discontent to be voiced and then dribble away to nothing rather than act as motor for change. I do not think have not read a single thing on the Web that might put me on the streets but should I not be able to feed and cloth my family then you can count that I will be out there rioting with everyone else

Like Iran, all the dictators (ex)Presidents in Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt, Saudi etc have a form of 'Stasi' secret police who arrest, harrass, torture fellow countrymen/anyone who speaks out about the oppressive regimes and the thieving/concentration of the countries wealth into the ruling juntas hands.

That's nothing

As soon as our Dictatorial Establishment feel like implementing Marshall law on any parts of the UK, they have made sure that all landline & mobile phones are immediately cut off from BT head offices.

Only ones that will work are on 'Military' frequencies.

They will then surround areas/Cities with army/police barricades, blocking every road, not letting anyone in or out.

Coz I regularly speak out about the Masonic/occult Cult they have interrupted my internet connections, cut telephone wires, broken into various residences and sabotaged equipment, send me rigged bills massively overcharging me, take 3 months + to sort out correct council tax, dug up/interfered with/drugged the water supply, put me in a 'rigged' house and electrocuted me in the bath etc etc in the past!

You might laugh, but this is already here.......

You might laugh, but this is already here.......

Same thing in Korea too, I remember reading this disclaimer in a korean phone shop when people were buying phones in my name (I carried me passport around with me). In that if North korea attacks all civilian telecommunications is immediately shutdown.

You can see from the 2004?? traffic diagram - that the banking whistleblower who mentioned One Third+ of the World's electron daily monetary 'transactions' passes thru Tax-Havens was true! :P

Spot the area of all the taxhavens in between the Bad Apple and Lud - Caymans is just below Cuba for instance.

60 Blitish 'Virgin' Islands to spread the loot out between

Belize etc

Huge traffic going to these 'backward' countries where most just about survive day to day!

Take a look at these how the Elites of poor countries exempt foreigners from taxes

http://www.zyra.org.uk/taxhaven.htm

Ever heard of "DARK FIBER OPTIC NETWORKS"?

Google Global Network? ;)

"Google is looking for Strategic Negotiator candidates with experience in...identification, selection, and negotiation of dark fiber contracts both in metropolitan areas and over long distances as part of development of a global backbone network," the posting reads in part.

"Dark fiber" refers to fiber-optic cable that's already been laid, but is not yet in use. Thousands of miles of dark fiber are available in the United States, but there have been few takers because of the high costs of making it operational.

Edited by erranta

Electrocuted you in your bath AND overcharged your council tax?

Wow, these guys mean business. :rolleyes:

Electrocuted you in your bath AND overcharged your council tax?

Wow, these guys mean business. :rolleyes:

Ahh one of the 'advanced' Masonic thread disrupters! Expected nothing less.

You and I know you top Masons have done far worse and basically run the country in a parallel World whilst the rest stay in their 'dream' STATE.

The Ultimate, Two faced Traitors & Trojans.

(Who are, incidently, associated with 'horses' ;))

Ahh one of the 'advanced' Masonic thread disrupters! Expected nothing less.

You and I know you top Masons have done far worse and basically run the country in a parallel World whilst the rest stay in their 'dream' STATE.

The Ultimate, Two faced Traitors & Trojans.

(Who are, incidently, associated with 'horses' ;))

Dem Illuminati will stop at nothing to destroy you, Erranta, you are so important!

Makes me wonder how you outwit them.

BTW, in your list of attacks the masons have launched against you, you forgot to mention the Black Helicopters. ;)

Edit to add: I love the way you say I am in a parallel world. Priceless.

Edited by happy_renting