House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winkie

Gas And Electric Question?

Anyone got any views?

Do you think it is better to go onto an on-line duel fuel variable tariff or to fix longer term but pay a bit extra for the insurance of peace of mind....2012,2013 or 2014.....the other option is to go variable for now then jump onto a fixed later but of course the fixed would be higher then. ;)

Anyone got any views?

Do you think it is better to go onto an on-line duel fuel variable tariff or to fix longer term but pay a bit extra for the insurance of peace of mind....2012,2013 or 2014.....the other option is to go variable for now then jump onto a fixed later but of course the fixed would be higher then. ;)

yes.

I dont understand the question, the price comparison sites are even more complicated, and I think a blinfold and pin would be the best method of picking.

thing is, I with to receive a supply of energy.....why cant they price the stuff same as petrol...you know...1 ltre is £1.35....or I KW is 10p..

Obfuscation is there for a reason....to deceive.

by the way, on price comparison sites, I wanted three returns to london and the tube this weekend....with my discounts, two sites suggested around £20 each ticket.

thought Id pop into Colchester Station and get a quote....£48.80 please the man said and handed two tickets...I said, sorry, I wanted 3....cancelled card, passed three tickets....new price...£48.30.

cheaper for 3. and the web.

Anyone got any views?

It's like trying to compare mobile phone packages, deliberately confusing.

I spoke to Scottish Power last week and, apparently, it's about 10% more to fix although intelligible figures aren't available on the website.

There is an option to get a 5% discount for paying a year in advance. Great, said I, I'll go for that. Er, no, not available with a combined package so works out more than I'm paying.

For what it's worth, I decided to fix for another 18 months.

I got even more confused when they charge two kWh rates a higher rate for so many kWhs then a lower rate thereafter.

....then another tariff quotes one cost per kWh but a standing charge of so many pence per day.....they try to make things as compicated as possible...they avoid spelling out the true cost to the consumer and to top it all some quote the VAT some don't, then some offer discounts for duel fuel, some offer a discount anyway, then you have the penalties for leaving early....most I would suggest pay up and shut up....that is how they would prefer it...water is a monopoly, electric and gas may as well be...all the same but different ways of spelling it out.

The regulators ofgem have to get their act together and see that these companies get their house in order...the energy companies are confusing things to such an extent you require a degree and a calculator to try and get around their confusing pricing not even their own staff can work it out with any consistent accuracy. ;)

Gas or Electric?

Sorry I thought you were starting a debate on the best way to kill bankers.

The low carbon route would be a hemp rope noose and a lampost. No need to waste gas or leccy.:rolleyes:

Re the OP: This is a question I've asked myself - I just want to bale out of BG (high prices, poor service) and fix for a couple of years so that I know what the costs will be.

I find the comparison websites confusing. Annoyingly, the Sunday Times best energy deals table today has for average annual bill (though BG has put up their gas twice since Dec):

1. BG £895
  2. Eon £906
  3. Npower £916
  4. EDF £916

All for direct debit duel fuel deals. One of the reasins for switching from BG is that I've been trying unsuccessfully to move to their DD duel fuel contract and get my name on it (only the wife's is at the mo, even though I pay the gas/leccy bill) and it's like pulling teeth trying to get them to change anything, which is presumably costing me money.

So if anyone has got a good answer then post away!

I'll never forget asking the Eon woman why I'd want to pay 25p/unit (which I was paying) when I could pay 19p/unit for exactly the same thing.

No difference in the product apart from the price. She claimed the 25p tariff suited some people, but couldn't give a single reason why.

I suggested that the people it suited were Eon.

I wouldn't bother fixing if I were you and just take your chances instead.

Don't live under the assumption that energy prices will always go up, people used to think that about house prices! There is a lot of banking money getting invested in the various energy commodities for no reason except speculation. As soon as the banks move on to other markets, our energy bills could yet come down.

I wouldn't bother fixing if I were you and just take your chances instead.

Don't live under the assumption that energy prices will always go up, people used to think that about house prices! There is a lot of banking money getting invested in the various energy commodities for no reason except speculation. As soon as the banks move on to other markets, our energy bills could yet come down.

My attitude is that when the energy company is offering a fix then that's absolutely not the time to take out a fix.

Might I recommend this bunch of hippies as (purportedly) consistently cheap, with an understandable tariff that all customers in the same region pay, with a bill that comes out at zero if you use no power:

Ebico | The UK's only not-for-profit energy supplier

(A price comparison site tells me they are currently only my 4th cheapest option - but the three above them all involve ridiculous annual deals, cash-backs, t-shirts, and look as stable as the wind.)

Now he tells me, just after I've signed up for another 15 months :P.

Actually, though, I wouldn't have changed as we've pretty much decided to become "of no fixed abode" when our existing rental contract expires.

Bruce, you could really go 'Perpetual Traveller'. I tried it, but discovered I am hobbit-like in my loyal love of the Shire, buttered toast and mulled wine. Whilst my assets will be stripped and divvied up by 'Common Purpose' henchmen (if it all goes t*ts up), it would be nice to know that at least a few people had slipped the nets and were basking somewhere in deserved modest means. B)

I did consider it but I'm too lazy to do all the paperwork and keep the necessary records, so I will remain a UK resident.