House Price Crash Forum
Britney's Piers

48% Would Back Anti-Immigration Party

Huge numbers of Britons would support an anti-immigration English nationalist party if it were not associated with violence and fascist imagery, according to the largest survey into identity and extremism conducted in the UK.

A Populus poll found that 48% of the population would consider supporting a new anti-immigration party committed to challenging Islamic extremism, and would support policies to make it statutory for all public buildings to fly the flag of St George or the Union flag.

Anti-racism campaigners said the findings suggested that Britain's mainstream parties were losing touch with public opinion on issues of identity and race.

Nick Lowles, from the anti-fascist campaign group Hope Not Hate, said that the poll shattered many traditional liberal preconceptions. He said: "The harsh truth is that we are in danger of losing touch with the public on race, immigration and multiculturalism."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/27/support-poll-support-far-right

I think they lost touch with what the public thought many years ago.......

Edited by Britney's Piers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/27/support-poll-support-far-right

I think they lost touch with what the public thought many years ago.......

We return to one of my main themes : representative democracy results in apathy as our only choice is the least worst combination of policies. Direct democracy allows us to "unbundle" the choices offered by political parties and vote more directly for what we believe in.

The tribal (not my original description but one that I really enjoy) political regime in this country is well past its sell by date. We need a true democracy where people can express their opinions at a much more granular level than the current system allows.

I am really bored with the idea that I am painted as a fascist because I believe that immigrants (and I am one of them) have a duty to adopt to their host nation's core values rather than expecting it to adopt to my wants and needs.

Despite all of its flaws, it is a privilege rather than a right for an immigrant like me to live here. We need to adopt an approach that no law that creates rights without responsibilities should exist.

Why is this news?

I've known this for years. It was discussed in 7 sins of England that bigotry is ingrained in British society and it is a norm.

If a Zyklon plant and usage facility was opened up people in the UK would approve. You might say I have an enormous chip on my shoulder but day in day out unpleasant comments from all levels of society wear me down along with the humiliating airport searches which happen no matter what I wear.

I just can't understand why anybody would be pro-immigration,.

Employing immigrants was UK employer's answer to the minimum wage restriction. The top workers from other countries were the only ones worth it...at least that's why I think they were so clear in their employment choices. The explosion in the public sector and higher education was the answer to the displaced natives.

It's another NMW comment but I just can't see how they are not all related.

I am really bored with the idea that I am painted as a fascist because I believe that immigrants (and I am one of them) have a duty to adopt to their host nation's core values rather than expecting it to adopt to my wants and needs.

Violence? Injustice, binge drinking and STDs? :lol:

1. Cheap labour (Tories)

They weren't cheap Labour. The minimum wage raised wages at the bottom. Wages didn't go down. Immigrants were the only ones worth it. All the rest went in the public sector and higher education.

uk-immigration.gif

Edited by cica

Not in the parts of England that I love.

Tolerance, commitment, understanding and acceptance are the characteristics that I see.

I just can't understand why anybody would be pro-immigration,.

I don't like the idea that the world should be divided into 192 prison camps which no inmate is allowed to move between for more than a couple of weeks. That doesn't sound like a free world to me.

Until the 19th century there was no such thing as a passport, for hundreds of years most Europeans were free to live where they liked.

Not in the parts of England that I love.

Tolerance, commitment, understanding and acceptance are the characteristics that I see.

What you mean Ivory towervilletm?

Go to the grim north and have a look yourself. Hell a mercenary I met recently.... ex Marine now working as a Military advisor in Iraq said his visit to Manchester was less pleasant than downtown Baghdad and he'd prefer to be there than any northern town.

Why is this news?

I've known this for years. It was discussed in 7 sins of England that bigotry is ingrained in British society and it is a norm.

If a Zyklon plant and usage facility was opened up people in the UK would approve. You might say I have an enormous chip on my shoulder but day in day out unpleasant comments from all levels of society wear me down along with the humiliating airport searches which happen no matter what I wear.

I would say that Brits see themselves as Brits.

There are many less hyphenated Brits than hyphenated Americans, Aussies, Canadians or Kiwis.

No country is perfect. This country is less imperfect than many.

Not commiting random acts of terrorism all in the name of a 1000+ year old story book would be a good start.

TBH, a lot of the percived problems with immigration is caused by the media and the political correctness from the Labour party and the BBC.

What you mean Ivory towervilletm?

Go to the grim north and have a look yourself. Hell a mercenary I met recently.... ex Marine now working as a Military advisor in Iraq said his visit to Manchester was less pleasant than downtown Baghdad and he'd prefer to be there than any northern town.

+1 the people in Baghdad are nicer too!

Not commiting random acts of terrorism all in the name of a 1000+ year old story book would be a good start.

TBH, a lot of the percived problems with immigration is caused by the media and the political correctness from the Labour party and the BBC.

:lol:

So you think the dodgy Iraq dossier is better then? In terms of casulties of nutters who murder in the name of a 1000 year old fairy tale and nutters in government (inc the people who voted for them) the government wins hands down. The last 10 years the terrorist body count has been what 100 or so? The body counts in Iraq and Afghanistan have been on an altogether different scale you could move the decimal place several places to the right.

Its less of an issue here than pretty much everywhere else in Europe.

Le Pen got 5.5 million votes when he was up against Chirac, ten times what the BNP got here.

99% of British people wouldnt bother answering that poll because they just dont care if the UK is 100% white christian, 100% brown muslim, or a mix of the two.

This country is bordering on obsessive over immigration. Want to blame something? ... blame immigrants!

Honestly, if we look at immigration figures OBJECTIVELY, this country isn't being swamped like the Mail and Express are telling us:

Net migration rate in the UK: 2.16 (per 1,000 of the population) - World Ranking: 48th!

Population growth rate (%): 0.28% - World Ranking: 186th!

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?t=0&v=24&l=en

I have no problem with stringent rules on immigration .... I just don't like the Folk Devil mindset in the UK.

According to the survey, 39% of Asian Britons, 34% of white Britons and 21% of black Britons wanted all immigration into the UK to be stopped permanently, or at least until the economy improved. And 43% of Asian Britons, 63% of white Britons and 17% of black Britons agreed with the statement that "immigration into Britain has been a bad thing for the country".

Immigration is not simply a race issue. It's only portrayed that way to stifle debate.

Honestly, if we look at immigration figures OBJECTIVELY, this country isn't being swamped like the Mail and Express are telling us:

You don't live in london then? i cant remember the last time i ordered a coffee/sandwich/beer and it wasnt served by an eastern european. this was NOT the case 10 years ago. There has been a vast amount of immigration thanks to the EU open borders policy. However IMO this is a great thing, I personally love the mix of cultures it brings...as long as everyone pays their taxes then that's fine, and if only paid minimal benefits out to either "immigrants" or "citizens" then there wouldn't be an issue. Cut benefits, not immigration.

Immigration is not simply a race issue. It's only portrayed that way to stifle debate.

Correct

I have heard many Asian and Black people say immigration should be stopped , but if a white person says this they are immidiatly pointed out as racist.

You don't live in london then? i cant remember the last time i ordered a coffee/sandwich/beer and it wasnt served by an eastern european. this was NOT the case 10 years ago. There has been a vast amount of immigration thanks to the EU open borders policy. However IMO this is a great thing, I personally love the mix of cultures it brings...as long as everyone pays their taxes then that's fine, and if only paid minimal benefits out to either "immigrants" or "citizens" then there wouldn't be an issue. Cut benefits, not immigration.

At the other end of the scale I was working in a Docklands lettings agency last summer . The amount of wealthy immigrants coming into the country was startling. They were coming from accross the globe and were out bidding people for the short supply of over priced flats that were on the agencys books. Most English people I dealt with were those that were moving form West London to East London as they had been priced out of West London. It might be a great thing and might be bringing money into the country but without proper planning and the housing demands met the population here are getting priced out.

I saw tiny 1 bed flats that would have let for £200 p.w. a few years back being priced at £250 pw. and rising in a matter of a few months to £300pw that does no one any good.

I don't like the idea that the world should be divided into 192 prison camps which no inmate is allowed to move between for more than a couple of weeks. That doesn't sound like a free world to me.

Until the 19th century there was no such thing as a passport, for hundreds of years most Europeans were free to live where they liked.

Until the 19th century most Europeans found it difficult to travel more than 20 miles.

This country is bordering on obsessive over immigration. Want to blame something? ... blame immigrants!

Net migration rate in the UK: 2.16 (per 1,000 of the population) - World Ranking: 48th!

Population growth rate (%): 0.28% - World Ranking: 186th!

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?t=0&v=24&l=en

I have no problem with stringent rules on immigration .... I just don't like the Folk Devil mindset in the UK.

Net migration would be zero if everyone in the Uk in 2010 left in 2011 and was replaced by someone else - it is a meaningless figure when you are discussing effects on communities and social structures.

This is old news and I am surprised the number isn't higher. Unskilled immigration is the number one problem in the UK and directly relates to lower wages and higher rents. This is fact.

As to skilled immigration this is being used too much by companies to lower skilled workers wages in IT (for example) by exploiting loopholes and pretending shortages exist.

We need a complete stop on all immigration right now while we sort out a new system. While this is in place we need to actively hunt down companies abusing the law and fine them an amount that actually matters.