House Price Crash Forum
Monkey

Protests Held At Uk Bank Branches

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5h6PqPvzF5V83UOC_1MCLu4Jy5oLw?docId=N0179421298741463384A

Activists have staged protests at more than 40 bank branches across the country in protest at executive bonuses and cuts in public services.

UK Uncut said demonstrators set up creches, laundries, school classrooms, libraries, homeless shelters, drama clubs, walk-in clinics, youth centres, job centres and leisure centres at branches of RBS, NatWest and Lloyds across the country.

At midday in Islington, north London, 50 activists set up a laundry in an RBS branch in reaction to alleged council moves to cut services to the elderly, including a much-needed laundry service.

They set up washing lines, clothes horses, buckets for handwashing and a team of window cleaners on the outside. The protest was attended by over 15 pensioners and local Labour MP Jeremy Corbyn.

Banks were transformed into "hospitals" in Liverpool and Redhill, a classroom in Cardiff, a leisure centre in Eastleigh, and a job centre in Birmingham. Twenty people took tents and sleeping bags into NatWest in Brixton to create a homeless shelter.

Aisha Atkins, 32, said: "There are alternatives to the cuts, for example, making the banks pay for a crisis they created or by stopping tax-dodging by big business and the super rich.

"But the Government is making a political choice to reduce the deficit by making ordinary people pay with job losses and savaged services.

"We are transforming the banks into schools, leisure centres, laundry services and homeless shelters to show that it's our society that's too big to fail, not a broken banking system."

An RBS spokeswoman said: "We fully respect the right to peaceful protest. Minimising disruption to our customers is our priority.

i wish i knew about this before, as i would have gladly gone and protested/supported this

i think its a very clever protest highlighting 2 main issues, the spending cuts and the bankers bonuses

i wish i knew about this before, as i would have gladly gone and protested/supported this

i think its a very clever protest highlighting 2 main issues, the spending cuts and the bankers bonuses

And you propose to support govt spending how? We can't keep borrowing money indefinitely we don't have.

Although clearly taxpayer cash shouldn't be going to supporting the banking sector. We have a very distorted capitalist system where the capitalists aren't permitted to go bust.

What a load of lefty toss-pots.

Where were they when Blair and Brown were creating this mess?

Typical of the left, they cannot and will not see that it is their fault.

UKUncut is a ruse set up by the Establishment as a visual 'vent' for population annoyance (to stop them burning "precious" bank buildings) and give them the 'illusion' that something is being done to address the problems (Establishment make sure THEY are at the head of/in charge of the protests being set up!)

(when in typical Orwellian fashion the Establishment/bankers just do what the fekk they like with impunity.)

And what did you do to protest against Blair/Brown actions?

I am not a "Lefty toss-pot", quite the contrary, but I "got off my ass" and went to the G20 protests in London to rant at the bankers. Maybe it did not make a difference, but that was because there was not enough of us.

If "Joe Public" took direct action, changes would soon be forthcoming, unfortunately, the vast majority in this country moan, but are not prepared take a stance.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5h6PqPvzF5V83UOC_1MCLu4Jy5oLw?docId=N0179421298741463384A

+1 I check their website from time to time but only seen one protest in Glasgow so far. Hope to be there for the next one.

Don't the protesters realise that the banks run £multi billion "not for profit" ;) charities like Motability. Do donate generously :lol:

"We are arguing for new social attitudes that celebrate giving.

"Talking about what we are doing for good causes is often seen as vulgar, but sharing experiences can often inspire others."

The coalition claims there is evidence, for instance, that people will give time if approached properly.

People could give to charity every time they use bank cards in shops or at cash machines, the government has said.

They could also be prompted to give money when they fill in tax returns, or apply for passports and driving licences, according to proposals.

Lottery winners would get thank-you letters from ministers if they donated large sums to good causes.

The government said there was evidence of a "latent demand to give" and that individuals and businesses needed to be reminded of the "warm glow" resulting from helping others.

Under-used government buildings may also be opened up for charities to use.

Mr Maude told BBC Radio 5live: "If there were to be an understanding that people might give on average 1% of their income, that would generate another £4bn of giving.

Let's celebrate. There seems to be many a different route for generating £billions and £billions of "giving" - not just the bailout route. Celebrate the diversity. Yes it's the Big Society.

Edited by billybong