House Price Crash Forum
cool_hand

Mark It In Your Diary: Tuesday March 29. The Day The Full Impact Of The Coalition’S Economic Incompetence May Finally Be Exposed.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/02/26/mark-it-in-your-diary-tuesday-march-29-the-day-the-full-impact-of-the-coalition-s-economic-incompetence-may-finally-be-exposed-115875-22950120/

MARK it in your diary: Tuesday March 29. The day the full impact of the Coalition’s economic incompetence may finally be exposed.

by Graham Hiscott, Daily Mirror 26/02/2011

And with it the country could be plunged straight back into crisis.

That’s when the Office for National Statistics will announce their estimate of the economy’s performance in the first three months of 2011.

If the economy shrinks as it did in the last three months of 2010, then we’ll be back in recession. And the signs are not good. The ONS yesterday revised down its figures last quarter from -0.5% to -0.6%.

It might not sound much but it’s a big blow to Chancellor George Osborne’s already threadbare credibility.

Advertisement - article continues below »

A slowing economy means less money being spent by households which, in turn, means less flowing into firms and, inevitably, job losses. And while the unemployed aren’t big spenders, they are a big drain on benefits.

Which is why the government’s slash-now-think-later approach to dealing with the deficit risks making it worse.

Chances are the economy may scrape back into growth in the first quarter of 2011.

But the storm clouds are gathering, with business investment down, unemployment up and consumer confidence at rock bottom.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/02/26/mark-it-in-your-diary-tuesday-march-29-the-day-the-full-impact-of-the-coalition-s-economic-incompetence-may-finally-be-exposed-115875-22950120/#ixzz1F5g69Vm2

Go Camping for 95p! Vouchers collectable in the Daily and Sunday Mirror until 11th August . Click here for more information

To be clear about my comment above, the Mirror journo has got his dates mixed up.

The ONS doesn’t publish a preliminary estimate of GDP before the quarter has even finished.

The preliminary estimate for Q1 2011 GDP will be released on 27 April, not 29 March.

Link to ONS calendar

Well spotted, send him an email! (And I was wondering how they would calculate Q1 GDP before the Q had even ended.)

Go Camping for 95p! Vouchers collectable in the Daily and Sunday Mirror until 11th August

Hmmmm . . . Doesn't sound like they're totally sure the world will be coming to an end in March . . .

Why anyone buys or reads that shit is beyond me. My parents have it delivered saying that it's the paper that they've always had and it used to be good. (they also vote labour every year "because they always have" what a joke!)

It's just one big comic praising the heroes of Labour and abusing all other party's. It's a joke paper!

Edit: I'd rather read the daily star at least it has nudey pics!

Edited by Pent Up

Go Camping for 95p! Vouchers collectable in the Daily and Sunday Mirror until 11th August . Click here for more information

Can I ask why we aren't discussing this amazing deal?

Doesn't the Mirror get it if people go camping for 95p what is that going to do for GDP, if the Mirror want to get GDP up it should be go camping for £9500 and help Britain out of recession.

Go camping save the nation.

Can I ask why we aren't discussing this amazing deal?

Doesn't the Mirror get it if people go camping for 95p what is that going to do for GDP, if the Mirror want to get GDP up it should be go camping for £9500 and help Britain out of recession.

Go camping save the nation.

You pay for camping...... why? There are plenty of places to camp for free.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/02/26/mark-it-in-your-diary-tuesday-march-29-the-day-the-full-impact-of-the-coalition-s-economic-incompetence-may-finally-be-exposed-115875-22950120/

MARK it in your diary: Tuesday March 29. The day the full impact of the Coalition’s economic incompetence may finally be exposed.

by Graham Hiscott, Daily Mirror 26/02/2011

And with it the country could be plunged straight back into crisis.

That’s when the Office for National Statistics will announce their estimate of the economy’s performance in the first three months of 2011.

If the economy shrinks as it did in the last three months of 2010, then we’ll be back in recession. And the signs are not good. The ONS yesterday revised down its figures last quarter from -0.5% to -0.6%.

It might not sound much but it’s a big blow to Chancellor George Osborne’s already threadbare credibility.

Advertisement - article continues below »

A slowing economy means less money being spent by households which, in turn, means less flowing into firms and, inevitably, job losses. And while the unemployed aren’t big spenders, they are a big drain on benefits.

Which is why the government’s slash-now-think-later approach to dealing with the deficit risks making it worse.

Chances are the economy may scrape back into growth in the first quarter of 2011.

But the storm clouds are gathering, with business investment down, unemployment up and consumer confidence at rock bottom.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/02/26/mark-it-in-your-diary-tuesday-march-29-the-day-the-full-impact-of-the-coalition-s-economic-incompetence-may-finally-be-exposed-115875-22950120/#ixzz1F5g69Vm2

In other news mirror reports cellist responsible for titanic sinking as " wrong music" was played.

In other news mirror reports cellist responsible for titanic sinking as " wrong music" was played.

Cheers, saved me the time.

The line has been coming for a while that everything was sorted until the Coalition came in. I saw Diane Abbott look shocked and stunned on QT when someone said the economy was shagged under Labour. It's kind of surreal.

Cheers, saved me the time.

The line has been coming for a while that everything was sorted until the Coalition came in. I saw Diane Abbott look shocked and stunned on QT when someone said the economy was shagged under Labour. It's kind of surreal.

the thing is it works.

I have heard from relatively intelligent people " the deficit wasn't important before so why is it now?" which reminds me of something my sister said about my fathers untimely demise "his brain tumour didn't cause him any trouble at all until it killed him"

The conservatives have failed utterly to expose the wreckage that labour have left. The message that it's somehow their fault is all the easier to swallow. Each time some labourite fool complains about "cuts" I want to punch them.

Is the intellectual capital of this site now so diminished that we are quoting articles from the MIRROR?

1) Find infuriating article in the press.

2) Rant at its infuriating premise.

3) Got to step 1.

So you all think the central point of the article is wrong and the British economy will be growing strongly by April ? Presumably you also think Osborne's implicit adoption of the "Irish model" is the way forward ?

The fact that Labour under Blair and Brown was full of Tools does not mean the Coalition under Cameron and Osborne

is not full of Fools. Shrinking the National Debt achieves little if the economy that supports it shrinks even faster. The gross sums owed may be less but the burden of servicing the debt may be equally unsustainable. The logical end of Osbornes Neoliberalism is Pol Pot year zero economics. It is no accident that people of his ideological ilk so often regard Chairman Mao's methods if not his economics with approval. What else is Big Society but more ideological madness imposed from above like the Great Leap Forward.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/48e388fe-0d5d-11e0-82ff-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1F9jtNavs

Edited by stormymonday_2011

So you all think the central point of the article is wrong and the British economy will be growing strongly by April ? Presumably you also think Osborne's implicit adoption of the "Irish model" is the way forward ?

The fact that Labour under Blair and Brown was full of Tools does not mean the Coalition under Cameron and Osborne

is not full of Fools. Shrinking the National Debt achieves little if the economy that supports it shrinks even faster. The gross sums owed may be less but the burden of servicing the debt may be equally unsustainable. The logical end of Osbornes Neoliberalism is Pol Pot year zero economics. It is no accident that people of his ideological ilk so often regard Chairman Mao's methods if not his economics with approval. What else is Big Society but more ideological madness imposed from above like the Great Leap Forward.

Do us the courtesy of displaying your previous username.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/48e388fe-0d5d-11e0-82ff-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1F9jtNavs

Pinko retreat into hyper-intellectualism

Why did the Tories have to go on about 'Big Society'? The size of 'Society' is not under the control of the State.

'Smaller, better Government' would have been the easiest sell ever. The only logical conclusion is that the coalition has absolutely no intention of achieving this.