House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aftermarket Laptop Batteries

I've never had to buy laptop batteries before as they usually last as long as the laptop so have never needed to. However, the other half has a Vaio she never uses which cost a fortune and it's a pity just sitting there going to waste. The battery is comprehensively Donald Ducked though - she manages to trash the battery on every one she's ever had due to leaving them plugged in for weeks on end.

I'm looking on ebay and an original Sony one is around £55 but an after market one is around £20. Is it worth getting a cheapo one or will it pack up in short order. Or, worse, will it in anyway stuff the computer up?

Alternatively, if there any way to restore the life to a knackered battery? We have a cannon digital camera the battery on which wouldn't hold a charge for more than a few minutes of use. I managed to get get the life up a bit by turing the camera on and off loads of times and letting it die so the battery was totaly dead then recharging it and doign the same to flatten it completely again and then when recharged it had a much better life. Not back to new but far better than it was? Is there anything similar you can do with a laptop battery because I can't seem to get it to do it.

li-ion original Sony battery with part number VGP-BPS2A

Toast. Get a new battery.

As for the aftermarket ones, I don't know.

I bought one (6 cell) off eBay (cn-batteries) (China) for a Dell Inspiron. Cost about £17 delivered compared to the extortionate amount DELL wanted. It works fine... still going 6 months on. Battery life seems to have dropped off a little, but fine for an hour or so. I mainly use it off the mains.

Although I've never bought a 3rd party battery for any of my laptops I do remember there being quite a few stories in the IT press about laptops exploding or catching fire and this was always explained by the manufacturers as being related to a dodgy 3rd party battery.

Be careful and weigh up how much you're going to save.

Although I've never bought a 3rd party battery for any of my laptops I do remember there being quite a few stories in the IT press about laptops exploding or catching fire and this was always explained by the manufacturers as being related to a dodgy 3rd party battery.

Be careful and weigh up how much you're going to save.

I remember those stories but I think they always related to new laptops hence, original manufacturer batteries.