House Price Crash Forum
Guest_ringledman_*

What Bond Funds/etfs To Hold?

Hi. Am not a big fan of bonds but curious as to what may be on offer as part of balancing one's portfolio.

So thoughts please.

Am fairly interested in the I Shares Corporate Bond ETF. Its down a fair bit recently which is good and cheap management fee. Any issue with this?

I read about the new index linked bonds form the likes of RBS but they seem to be overly complex products which I dont like. Likewise the general unit bond funds carry high fee around the 1% mark.

Likewise would consider a diversified emerging market government debt fund. Anyone know if these have fallen in price recently?

Dont want anything to do with UK/US/Euro government bonds, corporates seem the only thing with a bit of value left in them.

Probably best wait a year or two I guess for bonds to fall further due to inflation in order to allow the yields to rise.

Cheers.

Edited by ringledman

I hold the ishares Corporate Bond fund, SLXX, which has a reasonable expense ratio at 0.2%. It is quite heavy in financials though. The wife holds another ishares fund which excludes financials but I don't know the ticker or expense ratio for that. If you can trade in the US there are plenty of ETFs on offer. LQD is a long term holding of mine. Its full of AAA debt and has correspondingly low yields.

As for emerging market bonds I have been watching SEMB closely the last few weeks for an entry point. I only have a small amount in this asset class in a mutual fund in the US. Here's the 1 year chart for SEMB.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=LON%3ASEMB

I hold the ishares Corporate Bond fund, SLXX, which has a reasonable expense ratio at 0.2%. It is quite heavy in financials though. The wife holds another ishares fund which excludes financials but I don't know the ticker or expense ratio for that. If you can trade in the US there are plenty of ETFs on offer. LQD is a long term holding of mine. Its full of AAA debt and has correspondingly low yields.

As for emerging market bonds I have been watching SEMB closely the last few weeks for an entry point. I only have a small amount in this asset class in a mutual fund in the US. Here's the 1 year chart for SEMB.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=LON%3ASEMB

IEMB for emerging market bonds but I wouldn't touch any bonds yet as a long term investment,

I don't buy into Japan and currently see Vietnam as the ultimate contrarian bet as it has very good long term prospects and it's shares are beaten down (mega crash teritory and still dropping). I use XFVT to invest.

Turkey stocks have dropped quite a bit recently with ITKY about 30% off it's recent high. I put in an initial lump and will buy more every time it drops 20 - 30% (if it does).

LKUW for kuwait stock market tracker. Don't buy now but put it on your watch list. I managed to time the bottom on this one and it's up 30% but doesn't seem to have had the irrational exuberance of other stock markets and I see as a good long term buy if you can get it in at the right price.

Anybody else know of any beaten down stocks at the moment apart from Japan which I don't agree with as it has only dropped if you were buying in Japanese Yen over the last 20 years and not if you are buying in Sterling. Any rise in the Japanese market will be coupled with devaluation of the overvalued Yen which will mean little to gain if you buy with UK currency.

PS I'm buying som AIM stocks for fun (if you call fun losing a crapload of money!!!) Take a look at Rockhopper which has had a massive drop for no good reason. Bowleven on GS conviction buy list (very unusual for them to put such a high risk stock on their conviction buy list) with target price almost double what it is now.

Sorry thought you meant any ETFs not just bond ones. We should have an ETF thread on this forum I think. I have been looking everywhere for a decent forum to discuss ETFs but seems not many people that interested in them (I love them).