House Price Crash Forum

Cash - Two Year Horizon

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I usually invest long term but am in the position of accumulating cash at the moment and want somewhere to put it for two years. Ideal would be NS&I RPI tax free but they're still not available. I want to be able to take it out in two years without having lost anything. Various sources inclduing maturities: £30k now, another £40 or £50k at the end of the year, another £50k or £60k next year so that's well over £100k with nowhere great that I can see to put it. At the moment I can't see anything really appealing over sticking it into a cash bond and paying the tax but I know I'm losing money there because of inflation.

Anybody have any better ideas? It won't be a house (that's what the two year horizon is) or gold.

HOLA442

I usually invest long term but am in the position of accumulating cash at the moment and want somewhere to put it for two years. Ideal would be NS&I RPI tax free but they're still not available. I want to be able to take it out in two years without having lost anything. Various sources inclduing maturities: £30k now, another £40 or £50k at the end of the year, another £50k or £60k next year so that's well over £100k with nowhere great that I can see to put it. At the moment I can't see anything really appealing over sticking it into a cash bond and paying the tax but I know I'm losing money there because of inflation.

Anybody have any better ideas? It won't be a house (that's what the two year horizon is) or gold.

Stock market. In the event of printy printy you'll do ok. If it falls, it's likely that house prices will plummet. Easy and cheap to buy into a tracker as well.

HOLA443

Everyone with lots of cash seems to hate gold but if it was me I would put 5% in precious metals as an insurance policy.

It just seems natural to me to have 5-10% of ones wealth in precious metals as a hedge, insurance, uncorrelated asset (to an extent). Not there to make you money but help you not lose too much in a future crash, devaluation, negative rates, deflation (for balancing ones stocks).

May be worth looking at a 2 year fixed bond. Get around 3.6% and accept that inflation will most likely erode the value to an extent.

HOLA444

Everyone with lots of cash seems to hate gold but if it was me I would put 5% in precious metals as an insurance policy.

It just seems natural to me to have 5-10% of ones wealth in precious metals as a hedge, insurance, uncorrelated asset (to an extent). Not there to make you money but help you not lose too much in a future crash, devaluation, negative rates, deflation (for balancing ones stocks).

May be worth looking at a 2 year fixed bond. Get around 3.6% and accept that inflation will most likely erode the value to an extent.

Have you got a graph of the DOW/FTSE/gold price since March 2009?

It seems like everything is in the same bubble due to QE. Do you think that if the stock markets fall gold won't?

HOLA445
HOLA446

It seems like everything is in the same bubble due to QE. Do you think that if the stock markets fall gold won't?

Will money pile out of the stock market into the safe haven of the US dollar, like in 2008, I think not. Gold is now the world's reserve currency again.

2-16-11-bv-world1.png

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

HOLA447
HOLA448

I'm not sure what a Dow/FTSE/gold graph is???

As a long term investor the benefits of an allocation to gold is clear, the last 10 years has shown what an excellent uncorrelation it has with stocks.

Gold will probably bottom around 1-2 times on the dow then it will be a sell.

HOLA449

You could put it in RBOS index-linked bonds instead of NS&I ones..... :lol::lol:

Depends on whether you are an inflationista or deflationista, or if you want to hedge a ratio of both. Commodity shares are really well geared so a fund holding a mixed spread of commodity stocks would be good. Some funds are thieving bastards though. My Merril Lynch Gold & General (as much touted in the MSM and Moneyweek) has only gone up by 20-25% in the last couple of years, whilst my other PM type holdings and funds have done anywhere between 40-80%. ETF charges are cheap but don't return anywhere close to what they should for various reasons.

Have you thought about a SIPP? Excellent tax relief, and most products can be wrapped with it.

Oh, if you ask on the Gold forum they will say have 5-20% of your total wealth in physical. I make it a point to have 10% in physical, it is easy to row and trek to Switzerland with it if all else fails. :rolleyes:

Edit: I wrote all of that without reading your last two words! Er, inflation, er, commodities, er, gear it with commodity companies - money money money. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cash with Nowhere to Go

HOLA4410
HOLA4411