House Price Crash Forum

Sales Stock Levels

HOLA441

Keep hearing about the torrent of property onto the market. Just not seeing it here (Bournemouth).

The quantity of new instructions doesn't match this time last year, and the total for my anytime search is significantly down on the best I've seen and actually in decline.

And then this.

The total for my occasional monitoring search (Rightmove) DROPPED BY ABOUT 7% IN A WEEK OR LESS!

It's not credible that all this stuff suddenly sold. Has anyone else seen this or have an explanation?

HOLA442

Keep hearing about the torrent of property onto the market. Just not seeing it here (Bournemouth).

The quantity of new instructions doesn't match this time last year, and the total for my anytime search is significantly down on the best I've seen and actually in decline.

And then this.

The total for my occasional monitoring search (Rightmove) DROPPED BY ABOUT 7% IN A WEEK OR LESS!

It's not credible that all this stuff suddenly sold. Has anyone else seen this or have an explanation?

People decide - can't afford to move.

Banks buying up stocks to keep prices high (artificial scarcity)

The b'stards secretly own loads of EA chains and are taking repo properties away from the auctions to sell thru their Ea's to manipulate/keep house prices high.

EA's / People taking properties off for the "Spring bounce" 'fake' "New to Market" relaunches

HOLA443

The b'stards secretly own loads of EA chains and are taking repo properties away from the auctions to sell thru their Ea's to manipulate/keep house prices high.

EA's / People taking properties off for the "Spring bounce" 'fake' "New to Market" relaunches

If that's the case, we can expect a huge spike up in the coming weeks!

HOLA444

I don't what postcode in Bournemouth you are looking at?

This is BH11. YOY is far higher!

EDIT: In fact every BH podstcode I've looked at is exactly the same so I don't know where you get your story from.

301eb9i.jpg

BH1.

Any, anytime, up to £400, 000

Cool chart, how do I run it?

Edited by Laughing Gnome

HOLA445

Go to the rightmove site, you can see from the pic that I'm on the House Prices tab, then select market trends.

There are splits by type of property too.

home.co.uk do something similar.

This is bh1....

Thanks for that Hotairmail, better by far than relying on memory and impressions. I am obvoiusly mistaken.

However, the sudden drop happened in the last week or so, so it's not yet on the graph.

HOLA446

This is a link to info on home.co.uk for bh1....

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_menu.htm?location=bh1

Ta. Will have a look later.

Just checked Rightmove as you said. I'm only getting a table of figures and a space where the chart should be.

Better check my cookie settings or something.

It does bear out my impression that the numbers on the market are lower than they have been. Also as I said, there has been a sharp drop very recently which is hard to explain.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

People can't afford to move.....they will bide their time, too much uncertainty around at the moment, no point in moving just for the sake of it, prices are stagnant or if not falling, higher price properties fall faster....some have to move...some have to move but can't move. ;)

HOLA4410

Not sure how accurate this figures are from Rightmove, area I'm looking to buy a house a lot more properties coming onto market each day.

If run new to market for last 14 days gives a total of 37., 367 on market at end of January so would be at least 404 on market less sales for month. Current total on market is 335 so would seem to indicate so far in Feb are 69. But if look at no sales this averages 20 per month for 6 months to Oct 2010. Looks to me as if no on market is correct at end of month but new to market no is overstated -this could be because a lot of houses that have been on market for months all of a sudden appear in new yo market. Sometimes the house has changed EA but more often than not it is with the same agent. Until ived followed these no's will be cautious in quoting new to market numbers. What is enlightening is actual no's on market

Jan 2010 259 Jan 2011 367 increase of 40% and if sales in 2011 at similar level to 2010 thats 3 years stock!!!!

Sounds fantastic opportunity for a cash buyer but very few properties of the type/price I'm looking for the only one I've made offer on still nearly 20% overvalued so look like another 2-3 yrs wait

• 2 months later...
HOLA4411

So, Rightmove now have the Sold Properties chart updated to March, but Marketed Properties is still stuck at January.

I did actually e-mail Rightmove on the link provided here and received an irrelevant political answer.

Meanwhile, the total on my search jumped down by well over a dozen overnight, conter to slow uptrend.

I have seen big sudden moves down before and I can't believe it's the result of Property Frenzy.

Itching to see those figures.

HOLA4412

Is the normally any delay between a home going sstc and the buyer putting their own up for sale? If so, and there has been a bit of an easter buying surge, then there may be an increase in homes for sale shortly?

HOLA4413

I've kept a close eye on BH1 for ages and have been trying to understand the mechanics of it.

---

Houses have held up remarkably well because of the followng factors:

1. High foreign student and UK student population for the nearby university.

2. High foreign population rent there to work. E.g. Polish, Portugese. It is a landlords' paradise. The local "Lord" has 2000+ tennants.

3. High number DSS tennants (think Boscombe) which come from all over the UK to live in BH1. Scotland, Liverpool etc.

4. A retirement centre. Londoners, others from "ooop" north bring their equity/pension lump sums to buy bungalows, apartments etc and retire in Bournemouth and nearby Christchurch, Highcliffe. The locals call it gods waiting room.

5. High Jewish population, cash rich centres in Eastcliff. Gentlemens' manors are typically in the £1m bracket.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

And then this.

I'm in Poole and monitor Rightmove for houses for sale half a mile around me in BH15.

I've seen exactly the same as you. In the last 7 days houses for sale have dropped from 45 to 33 (25%ish)

No drops like this have occured since Xmas.

Have EA's culled the deluded vendors from their books?

Have sellers pulled property off the market through lack of interest?

I'm damn sure the drop isn't because the properties have sold.

Like you, I'm asking 'what's going on?'

HOLA4416

I'm in Poole and monitor Rightmove for houses for sale half a mile around me in BH15.

I've seen exactly the same as you. In the last 7 days houses for sale have dropped from 45 to 33 (25%ish)

Thanks for your reply Juvenal, pleased to hear it's not just me!

This recent sudden drop in numbers is the second I have seen, the previous one was several months ago, but I am relying on memory and impressions, that's why I want to seee Rightmoves bloody chart updated.

I did wonder if places with multiple agents were no longer double counted, but I think this unlikely.

HOLA4417

I've kept a close eye on BH1 for ages and have been trying to understand the mechanics of it.

---

2. High foreign population rent there to work. E.g. Polish, Portugese. It is a landlords' paradise. The local "Lord" has 2000+ tennants.

3. High number DSS tennants (think Boscombe) which come from all over the UK to live in BH1. Scotland, Liverpool etc.

4. A retirement centre. Londoners, others from "ooop" north bring their equity/pension lump sums to buy bungalows, apartments etc and retire in Bournemouth and nearby Christchurch, Highcliffe. The locals call it gods waiting room.

5. High Jewish population, cash rich centres in Eastcliff. Gentlemens' manors are typically in the £1m bracket.

Well summarised, you are obviously local.

HOLA4418

I posted on Monday that I was unsure of what was happening in my area (taunton), I am tracking about 90 potential homes and after the long weekend I checked property bee and 1 3rd went SSTC, I found about 30 houses in 4 days to be quite a surprise. I expected at least 1/2 of these houses to drip back on the market over 3 months as is the new trend, to my surprise again I checked on Friday and most (talking 23, 24 ish) were back on the market. I think EA's are throwing up some smoke and mirrors to see how it effects the market.

HOLA4419

24 hours later we're back up to 46!!!

For some reason 25% of houses for sale in my patch went off Rightmove for just 24 hours, and are now back on!!

Any one hazard a guess why?

HOLA4420

---

The real mechanics is what you mainly don't see around there.

Loads of the white-van-men who do all the redecorating/kitchens/gardening/market gardeners/etc for the oldies have fantastic pads with acres of land bordering new forest/out country way.

Knew a load of them when living Dorset way.

By the way - has there been a thread on fact "80% EA's are going to stop advertising on right-move from this year"?

Edited by erranta

HOLA4421

24 hours later we're back up to 46!!!

For some reason 25% of houses for sale in my patch went off Rightmove for just 24 hours, and are now back on!!

Any one hazard a guess why?

Agents are trying to get around the staleness of listings - they are taking all (or a lot of existing houses off the listing) and then putting them back on. All to get round the listing trackers I suppose.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The real mechanics is what you mainly don't see around there.

Loads of the white-van-men who do all the redecorating/kitchens/gardening/market gardeners/etc for the oldies have fantastic pads with acres of land bordering new forest/out country way.

Knew a load of them when living Dorset way.

By the way - has there been a thread on fact "80% EA's are going to stop advertising on right-move from this year"?

Really?

I've lived here all my life and don't know any millionaire odd job men who've fixed enough wonky shelving and leaking taps to be able to afford the £1million + required to buy a house with land out by the forest. Generally speaking once you've cleared the East Dorset urban sprawl property prices rocket... nice places with land don't come on the market everyday and when they do there is usually a bidding frenzy between retired surgeons, military officers and bankers.

Lots of Dorset families pass on land to their kids.... it's been in the family since way before you could buy a plot on sandbanks for £50. The kids might drive vans and do odd jobs BUT they didn't buy and never could afford to buy the land here and now in the 21st century.... they've got land because great, great, great grandfather Jethro bought 10 acres of cheap farm land way back in the dim and distant past.

Massive price drops in Eastern Dorset just ain't going to happen.... there are so many people who want to live here that demand is never going to fall far enough to trigger huge drops in price.... you want to move here because it's a loverly part of the country.... there are thousands of other people with the same idea.

HOLA4424

During 2008 there were days that, in postcodes I was monitoring, suddenly saw a 7% type drop in listed properties - this was due to Estate Agencies going out of business and having their entire listings removed from Rightmove. Wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing that kind of event happening again soon with the way mortgage approvals, advances, lending are falling - and falling from low levels already.

HOLA4425