House Price Crash Forum

Bank run in Korea

Ked

HOLA441

There seems to be little mainstream media coverage on the financial collapse going on in Korea at the moment. Eight banks closed already and more to come by the looks of it:

More google news

Domin Bank, a savings bank with a capital adequacy ratio below 5 percent, voluntarily decided yesterday to suspend its operations temporarily because of massive withdrawals, becoming the country’s eighth savings bank to close.

The decision took both depositors and financial regulators by surprise since it was the first time that a local bank shut its doors on its own.

Domin Bank, which has six branches in Gangwon, was placed on a watch list last week by the Financial Services Commission. The move triggered a bank run on Domin Bank.

According to Domin Bank, deposits amounting 31.8 billion won ($28.2 million) were withdrawn since last Thursday, including 18.8 billion won on Monday.

<!-- insert mushroom cloud image here -->

HOLA442
HOLA443

This story is buried by new elsewhere and the joke is, that is it is important and significant.

Sky and BBC are competing for news on either Earthquakes in New Zealand or Brits trying to get out of Libya. I mean last month you couldnt see a Brit in Libya for toffee, now they seem to wandering the desert awaiting rescure. wtf is this all about,

HOLA444

This story is buried by new elsewhere and the joke is, that is it is important and significant.

Sky and BBC are competing for news on either Earthquakes in New Zealand or Brits trying to get out of Libya. I mean last month you couldnt see a Brit in Libya for toffee, now they seem to wandering the desert awaiting rescure. wtf is this all about,

Perhaps the West's intelligence agencies have seen the simultaneous collapse of Middle Eastern regimes and a new wave of banking collapses as a useful thing.

Perhaps the aim is to reduce oil prices (excepting an initial spike) to soothe domestic inflation, while getting rid of dangerous maniacs like Ahmadinejad at the same time.

Edited by Dave Spart

HOLA445

Perhaps the West's intelligence agencies have seen the simultaneous collapse of Middle Eastern regimes and a new wave of banking collapses as a useful thing.

Perhaps the aim is to reduce oil prices (excepting an initial spike) to soothe domestic inflation, while getting rid of dangerous maniacs like Ahmadinejad at the same time.

Eastern trouble is not going to reduce oil prices or food inflation no matter how intelligence agencies try to spin it.

Food prices are a part of the trouble in the arab world. Libya is causing oil prices to rise, Algeria will to. As oil rises so too will food costs, as unrest increases oil production will reduce.

Agri, oil and gold are the 3 clear winners this year and have been long before it became obvious.

HOLA446

Eastern trouble is not going to reduce oil prices or food inflation no matter how intelligence agencies try to spin it.

Food prices are a part of the trouble in the arab world. Libya is causing oil prices to rise, Algeria will to. As oil rises so too will food costs, as unrest increases oil production will reduce.

Agri, oil and gold are the 3 clear winners this year and have been long before it became obvious.

As I said: "excepting an initial spike". Once the trouble in North Africa quells production will get back to normal and prices will fall back to pre-revolutionary levels, possibly even falling lower.

I suspect the intention is to topple dominoes to encourage Iranians to rise up and remove the anti-Western Ahmadimejad.

He knows the financial crisis has weakened the West and this will embolden him. Better to have him removed now.

With the belligerent Ahmadimejad gone Middle Easten tensions abate and oil prices fall. Inflation therefore eases off and Western economies can breathe a sigh of relief.

Edited by Dave Spart

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Does Korea count as the 1st world?

Why wouldn't it? It has all the charactoristics of a 1st world economy.

Horrible Gini coefficient.

Youth are totally doomed by their boomer parents.

An uber house price bubble.

Decent jobs are being taken by migrants (from English speaking white western countries)

Pensions not worth a dime

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Does Korea count as the 1st world?

It would be pretty rude not to grant them 1st world status. Samsung is the world's largest consumer electronics firm, Korea has the best and fastest internet connections. There is certainly nothing on the ground there that would shout out "3rd world". Seoul Incheon airport is absolutely amazing and makes Heathrow look positively 3rd world.

The only thing that might suggest it is a developing economy is how ridiculously cheap it is.

Edited by Ah-so

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

It would be pretty rude not to grant them 1st world status. Samsung is the world's largest consumer electronics firm, Korea has the best and fastest internet connections.

Seoul is pretty funny. I remember being in a netcafe and downloading a fairly big 500mb file, I clicked on the link and it flashed for a moment and appeared not to work. I clicked again and it did it again and again. I had a look on the desktop and realised I had downloaded it multiple times it was so smegging fast!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2932381

Precis 10,000 Koreans lined up outside a Busan bank to withdraw trillions of KRW (2400KRW = £1)

And so it begins...... the descent into Injin world.

Who bets a convienient north Korean attack against civilians occurs in the next few days

Actually Ken, as the date on your article alludes to - it began over a week ago and the effect on the rest of the world's financial system has been... zilch. nada. nowt. zip. zero.

HOLA4421

Actually Ken, as the date on your article alludes to - it began over a week ago and the effect on the rest of the world's financial system has been... zilch. nada. nowt. zip. zero.

On come on I was on my recon mission the past couple of weeks, I can't ramp and hyperbole while I am away now can I? :D

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Samsung is the world's largest consumer electronics firm, Korea has the best and fastest internet connections.

They've also got a cripplingly low birthrate, are now more suicide prone than their Japanese cousins, and they've now hitting their endless economic slump two decades before Japan has. Also Koreans and Japanese alike are very conceited about their history, wanting to play the victim.

Seoul Incheon airport is absolutely amazing and makes Heathrow look positively 3rd world.

Terminal Five seems Ok (despite its deeply troubled construction and botched opening).

Heathrow has problems but France arguably has worse airports. Seoul's airport is very new and has been built from the ground up, not accumilated over the decades like the more patchy Heathrow. Tel Aviv also has very nice airport terminals.

Edited by Big Orange

HOLA4424
HOLA4425