House Price Crash Forum

Potholes

or in excess of

HOLA441

Judging by the disturbing number of potholes which seem to be breeding at an alarming rate, i was wondering if it is now standard practice for councils to ignore them. Where i live there are huge craters, which have been there for a couple of years. A few years ago, you would never see potholes, as they were repaired immediately. Now there is no attempt whatsoever to do anything about them. They seem happy to just blame the winter weather and sit on their backsides.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

It's the CUTS innit.

It would be funny, if it wasn't true.

Posters on this very website have been crying out for cuts in public spending for years, and when the effects of the cuts become visible, they get all upset! :rolleyes:

It's a bit unfortunate that the cuts have coincided with the coldest winter for 30 years or so, but hey ho. Up here in Scotland many of the roads are literally disintegrating - night time temps of -15c for weeks on end can have that effect. I've travelled extensively on roads all over Europe and the US, and the UK roads are pretty well maintained by comparison. In fact I would say that the UK has the most consistently maintained roads I've ever seen - that is, the road rating (A road, B road, motorway) gives you an accurate impression of the road surface quality.

Due to the massive damage done to the road network this winter - and the fact that this hasn't happened on such a scale for so long - it's going to take months if not years to get things patched up. Even when we did have extremely cold winters in the past, the road surfaces were different - grippy top coatings like shellgrip, etc were not in widespread use 30 years ago.

HOLA446

Posters on this very website have been crying out for cuts in public spending for years, and when the effects of the cuts become visible, they get all upset! :rolleyes:

Cut the excessive management.

Manchester have/are merging 3 departments that deal with highways! That's 3X the number of managers there needs to be.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Cut the excessive management.

I think you might be deluding yourself that Highways departments are blowing all their money on management.

UK motorways cost £23 million per mile to construct, obviously resurfacing old ones is significantly cheaper, and working on A and B roads cheaper still, but the cost of road surfacing (which is almost exclusively outsourced) is very high.

Councils have less income, but they now have even greater requirements for expenditure. Especially since many will have to make huge redundancy payouts this year, at precisely the moment the roads have deteriorated due to the weather.

Get used to bumpy roads, you're going to be enjoying them for years to come ;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

It's a bit unfortunate that the cuts have coincided with the coldest winter for 30 years or so, but hey ho. Up here in Scotland many of the roads are literally disintegrating - night time temps of -15c for weeks on end can have that effect. I've travelled extensively on roads all over Europe and the US, and the UK roads are pretty well maintained by comparison. In fact I would say that the UK has the most consistently maintained roads I've ever seen - that is, the road rating (A road, B road, motorway) gives you an accurate impression of the road surface quality.

Due to the massive damage done to the road network this winter - and the fact that this hasn't happened on such a scale for so long - it's going to take months if not years to get things patched up. Even when we did have extremely cold winters in the past, the road surfaces were different - grippy top coatings like shellgrip, etc were not in widespread use 30 years ago.

********. Cold makes BAD roads worse. It does not make good roads bad. You have fallen for the usual nonsense peddled by the local Government.

If a road is in good nick and there is a mega cold winter ? It will be in good nick come March.

End of story. Fact. End off. This +1

This ^

:D

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

********. Cold makes BAD roads worse. It does not make good roads bad. You have fallen for the usual nonsense peddled by the local Government.

So, if a country had perfect roads with no tiny imperceptible cracks - for water or snow to sink into and free then expand - they would not have to deal with pot holes and crumbling roads in Spring? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, no such country exists, which is why if you travel anywhere with cold winters and warm summers you'll see potholes in Spring and lots of evidence of road repair (overbanding, patches, etc). ;)

HOLA4419

I am amused by some of the shoddy repairs that are going on. Some of the roads around me have potholes that are repaired then within a week the patched sections are disintegrating and seem to be worse than if they had just left them in the first place.

HOLA4420

Can't complain, you should see the roads in Siberia in some of the smaller towns, the pot holes ARE the road, it was enough to drive me spare.

But the ones in Alaska are as smooth as a pancake. You could put a cup of coffee, filled to the brim, on the dashboard of your car and then drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks without spilling a drop. And the weather there isn't exactly temperate.

HOLA4421

So, if a country had perfect roads with no tiny imperceptible cracks - for water or snow to sink into and free then expand - they would not have to deal with pot holes and crumbling roads in Spring? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, no such country exists, which is why if you travel anywhere with cold winters and warm summers you'll see potholes in Spring and lots of evidence of road repair (overbanding, patches, etc). ;)

Of course roads need basic maintenance. However tiny cracks only appear very gradually over a number of years. If the roads are looked after and in good nick there is not an issue. End of story. See below. ;)

There is a road near me that was done properly 2 years ago. Had 2 years of cold, snowploughs, ice, freezing and everything else. Result ? Perfect condition.

The 'cold weather makes the roads bad' chat is just made up by Local councils as an excuse. This is a fact and there is no debate on the matter.

But the ones in Alaska are as smooth as a pancake. You could put a cup of coffee, filled to the brim, on the dashboard of your car and then drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks without spilling a drop. And the weather there isn't exactly temperate.

Archived