House Price Crash Forum
blackgoose

Cameron Hits Out At British Broadcasting Cuts Corporation

From the article:

"Announcements about cuts to council or ministry budgets are broadcast by the BBC almost daily.

But Coalition ministers are often left seething at the failure to put them into the context of the Government's mammoth task of reducing the nation's crippling £155billion deficit. "

It seems Cameron is pissed they are reporting news of cuts -- that is, that they are reporting news -- rather than reporting the news and offering the government spin/explanation on it.

Cameron is a smart man and a nice guy.. but he is just so weak. If I was in his chair I would make it very clear that if upper management at the BBC allowed overly negative reporting on my government that they would be fired, with no golden parachute.

And it goes without saying that as soon as I got into power I would replace the entire executive of the BBC with my own sycophants.

Cameron hits out

Still quite mild stuff, but at least some signs that the government are beginning to mention the biased reporting going on.

+ 1

Can only dream about cancellation of the licence fee.

Just stop forcing everybody to pay (a lot) for a channel mainly dedicated to public sector propaganda. The BBC can (try to) keep going as a subscription channel, or advertising funded, or like the Americans PBS and NPR, funded by public donations. Or a mix of all of these. But they don't have any moral authority any more to force everybody to send them money. Why? For unbiased and professional public information? Yeah right... :rolleyes: Like they were professional and unbiased during the inflating phase of the credit bubble - the biggest in UK history! The BBC just lost its (previously already weak) right to extort money from the population.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Cameron hits out

Still quite mild stuff, but at least some signs that the government are beginning to mention the biased reporting going on.

Note it's reported in the Sun. No biased reporting there then.

Rupert Murdoch can only dream about cancellation of the licence fee.

Note it's reported in the Sun. No biased reporting there then.

Rupert Murdoch can only dream about cancellation of the licence fee.

All media is biased to some degree, but with the commercial media you can decide if you want to buy it or not, and which one.

The problem with the BBC is that it is also biased, but you/we are forced to pay for it. This is unjustifiable, indefensible.

Just stop forcing everybody to pay (a lot) for a channel mainly dedicated to public sector propaganda.

You've defined the problem and indirectly specified the solution right there.

Let's retain the ("I Can't Believe It's Not Compulsory") license fee.

But.

As with any other religious or unionsocial levy in our gloriously secular society - let's allow the taxfee-payer to specify which particular BBC hog-trough gets the liquid loot.

Cue game-theory mandated auto-cannibalism, and the inevitable implosion.

Edited by ParticleMan

I wonder how long it will take the BBC to report this story?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/?q=bbcc%20cameron

Very good. :)

Edit: BBC's incompetence (and/or complicity?) was proved in this thread: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=159795

Edited by Tired of Waiting

The Mad Dog of the Middle East wasn't too keen on them reporting the truth either. He got his hatchet man Campbell to oust Greg Dyke iirc.

It appears The Bullingdon Boys aren't too keen on anyone talking about their cuts or not 'getting behind' the banksters and 'moving on'.

I guess Rupert's still giving Dave his daily orders even in the absence of Coulson whispering in his ear over his yoghurt and muesli.

Bliar/Dave/Gaddafi/Putin - They're all the same, just to varying degrees.

It seems Cameron is pissed they are reporting news of cuts -- that is, that they are reporting news -- rather than reporting the news and offering the government spin/explanation on it.

It's the bias that he's complaining about, the BBC is crawling with annoying lefties. Haven't you noticed how they follow every piece of economic news with "Labour says"? Shameful misuse of public money :angry:.

All media is biased to some degree, but with the commercial media you can decide if you want to buy it or not, and which one.

The problem with the BBC is that it is also biased, but you/we are forced to pay for it. This is unjustifiable, indefensible.

I wonder what would happen if they left the TV tax in place, but made the fine for not paying 1 penny?

More seriously, I have never understood why the Conservatives don't put media reform in 1st place on their to-do list. They must realise that the broadcast media is left wing and will constantly try to undermine them. Not dealing with the BBC was Thatcher's biggest mistake and I am beginning to suspect it will be Cameron's.

From the article:

"Announcements about cuts to council or ministry budgets are broadcast by the BBC almost daily.

But Coalition ministers are often left seething at the failure to put them into the context of the Government's mammoth task of reducing the nation's crippling £155billion deficit. "

In much the same way that when Labour and its councils increased spending at an alarming rate, the BBC never reported the ballooning deficit and the huge increases in taxation it was causing. The BBC is at least consistent in how it reports spending increases/cuts - it always ignores the source of the cash.

I think I could put up with a level of bias if it wasn't so overwhelming as it is these days and if only there were regular programmes where all politicians were asked some serious honest questions and their answers were delved into in depth.

That applying to all TV and radio channels offering current opinion and news content etc.

In that respect mainstream newspapers seem pretty much a lost cause.

Questions that were allowed to expose the lies and hypocrisy underlying the usual glib answers from politicians these days. It's been getting worse over recent years they've had it so easy. It wouldn't be perfect but it would be better than the bland and unenlightening stuff on offer these days.

The level they've now adopted is generally:

1. Commentator asks a politician a question.

2. Politician gives a glib answer.

3. Commentator accepts the answer and moves onto the next innocuous question.

For a while a few years back they asked proper questions and didn't let them just get away with one glib answer.

Some proper documentaries along the same lines would be good as well. Allowing audiences to ask unfiltered spontaneous questions would be helpful in reducing bias as well.

Holding breathe on them doing anything about it likely not advisable.

Edited by billybong

+ 1

Just stop forcing everybody to pay (a lot) for a channel mainly dedicated to public sector propaganda. The BBC can (try to) keep going as a subscription channel, or advertising funded, or like the Americans PBS and NPR, funded by public donations. Or a mix of all of these. But they don't have any moral authority any more to force everybody to send them money. Why? For unbiased and professional public information? Yeah right... :rolleyes: Like they were professional and unbiased during the inflating phase of the credit bubble - the biggest in UK history! The BBC just lost its (previously already weak) right to extort money from the population.

Extortion?

Besides making the Gormless pay for their own brainwashing they make 10's Millions ££ a year reselling you progs you already paid for (at full market rates).

These give the 'favoured' luvvies the right to extortionate pensions and pay and go towards subsidising BBC channels/programmes shown overseas to 'promote' themselves!

Cameron hits out

Yes because the Murdoch media is so totally unbiased, and having adverts for 5 minutes every 15 minutes makes for great viewing.

Get a grip - the BBC is the best media outlet in the world. Cameron is Murdoch's whore - and it sounds like you are also

Yes because the Murdoch media is so totally unbiased, and having adverts for 5 minutes every 15 minutes makes for great viewing.

Get a grip - the BBC is the best media outlet in the world. Cameron is Murdoch's whore - and it sounds like you are also

I could accept the BBC's Labour supporting agenda if I wasn't forced to fund them. A publicly funded organisation should be completely unbiased.

I know Labour people who have a vehement disdain for the BBC (News) because of their pro-Tory Bias.

It's a funny old world.

As for me, I think the BBC leftish, ethnic minority, environmental bias is all too obvious. It's is dangerous because of general perceptions about the BBC's sense of fairness and tradition - much to do with having 'British' in their moniker. Like the country, the attributes of fair play, decency and honour seem to have been lost over recent decades. A bit rose tinted, I know...

So, to clarify- the government undertakes the biggest cut's to public services in history but objects to the nations broadcasting channel reporting them to the public?

It's not the job of the BBC to justify the reasons for the cuts- that's what the Lib Dem puppets are supposed to be doing.

He has a point. 31,000 separate stories in the past month alone on BBC Website regarding Council Cuts

If the BBC is intended to serve those who fund it, and these cuts are of vital interest to those people- then surely it's their job to cover them.

What's is Cameron saying here- "Were doing unpopular stuff and you are telling people about it" ?

If the government is failing to sell it's policy to the public then who is to blame? The real issue that is undermining their entire 'austerity' argument is the ongoing spectacle of huge payouts at the top, both private and public. So rather than bitching about the BBC they might want to do something about that.

He has a point. 31,000 separate stories in the past month alone on BBC Website regarding Council Cuts:

Thousands of BBC stories on Council cuts in the last month alone

And likely little or more nothing ever about how it's all come to the cuts being needed and what the benefits or otherwise might be. The other side of the story. They could even add how the current lot are adding to the problem with their spending and lavishing huge amounts on the banks and their ilk if it's part of the story.

Who knows if the BBC did a detailed, honest and unbiased assessment of all the levels of the spending, taxation, debt, deficit and other financial problems they might even convince people that the cuts are unnecessary. On the other hand maybe they don't because they know they can't.

Transparent and open debate on the subject would be good - some hope.

Edited by billybong

Why does Cameron want the BBC to explain to the public that our government is corrupt and shaping policies such as taxation so they favour corporations and the financial elites? Taxpayers funding BTL mortgages, housing benefit and SMI. Does he really want the BBC to mention his tax heist of the century and how the public are having to pay more tax such as VAT and fuel duty so the rich can get richer?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/07/tax-city-heist-of-century