House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Consumer Focus - We Want To See A Voluntary Landlord Web Rating System

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12586203

Tenants should have a rating website on which they can share their experiences of landlords, a consumer body has said. Consumer Focus said most people renting in the private sector had little information available to them before they signed a tenancy agreement.

Landlords, meanwhile, can ask potential tenants for references, deposits and other personal information, it said. The group wants lettings agents to follow the example of sites like eBay or Amazon which give customer feedback.

Consumer Focus said it had written to some of the largest letting agents in England asking them to look at how they could use the internet to encourage more feedback about landlords. In a survey of 2,000 people carried out in January, it found nine out of 10 tenants thought such a website would help them make better decisions about who to rent a home from.

"Currently the landlord is firmly in the driving seat despite rent being a massive outgoing for many of us," said Claire McAnulty from the group.

"People often sign up with little more than a gut feeling after a cursory tour of the property.

"The best way to help private renters is to ensure they have the information to know what they are getting into."

Consumer Focus said it would also like to see a quality mark introduced for all private landlord accreditation projects. There are at least 80 different types of voluntary landlord schemes in England, it added, with a wide variation in standards required to belong to them.

Only voluntary...would letting agents just be able to write reviews? I could imagine all their reviews would be all fluffy & light, to avoid litigation...

"People often sign up with little more than a gut feeling after a cursory tour of the property.

Not me! I interview my "potential neighbours", and ask about the landlord! :huh:

my landlord came round for a chat and a presentation of paperwork he needed to give me.

Over coffee, he said he'd just got a 40K default as a local firm went into Administration this week. The was arrears from December and this weeks likely default.

Here's the media statement on the Consumer Focus website, in case anyone's interested

http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/news/ratings-website-for-private-renters-could-help-show-bad-landlords-the-door-says-consumer-watchdog

Consumer Focus was established by the Consumers, Estate Agents and Redress (CEAR) Act 2007. The current government is consulting this year on abolishing CF and transferring its functions to Citizens Advice Bureaux. Whose financial support is being cut.

I really shouldn't expect anything to come from this.

I've thought about setting up something like this in the past.

Would have to be hosted off shore I think as you're slightly at risk of being sued.

Could be a fun project as I am off work next week. Sure there would be plenty of people here willing to help me seed the site!

Would have to be hosted off shore I think as you're slightly at risk of being sued.

Could be a fun project as I am off work next week. Sure there would be plenty of people here willing to help me seed the site!

similar project exists at http://www.landlordfeedback.co.uk

all your feedbacks and contributions welcome

Very good idea Kyoto.

Just make sure there isn't any site like that yet, to avoid wasting time and money. Otherwise, go for it! We do need a site like that. I do wish you success!

Not me! I interview my "potential neighbours", and ask about the landlord! :huh:

Good idea....both for renting and buying....you don't want any nasty shocks when it is too late to address it. ;)

Just look in the neighbours bin, all takeaway pizza boxes and stella cans..don't bother.